ISS Top 30 for March

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
And what happened to John Negrin?
He was #14 last month.

He's now ranked very early in the second round.

As quoted from our Rising and Falling section.

John Negrin - Kootenay Ice

One of the smoothest skaters among draft eligible WHL D-men. He has a powerful stride and good balance. Needs to develop more of a mean streak and would be more effective in own end. Plays behind four older quality d-men which takes away some ice time. His smooth skating ability might entice some to overrate him. Still needs to be more consistent.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Can you give us some info on Joakim Andersson?
Do you think he will continue to rise?
What do you think his potential is?

Just to let you folks know, we provide a Rising and Falling summary to TSN and Hockeys Future. On the TSN site, it's right below the link for the updated rankings.

Here's the word on Andersson.

Joakim Andersson - Sweden

We believe several teams are quietly hoping to steal him late in the first round. After his play at the Five Nations, it won't happen. A tremendous 2 way player that is excellent in all 3 zones. He has developed into a very good face-off guy and has the ability to elevate his play in important situations.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
What happened to O'Brien?

You have to realize also that he is very young playing with/against much older players, often taking a back-seat to PP time, etc. That makes it difficult to get a true read on how well he will develop over the next few years in Minny.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You have to realize also that he is very young playing with/against much older players, often taking a back-seat to PP time, etc. That makes it difficult to get a true read on how well he will develop over the next few years in Minny.

He also just hasn't looked all that great when he's been playing and getting ice time. He just looks like he needs a LOT of work in the next few years and is probably a full 4 year college player.

That's a lot of risk for a team to take in the first round.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Just to let you folks know, we provide a Rising and Falling summary to TSN and Hockeys Future. On the TSN site, it's right below the link for the updated rankings.

Here's the word on Andersson.

Joakim Andersson - Sweden

We believe several teams are quietly hoping to steal him late in the first round. After his play at the Five Nations, it won't happen. A tremendous 2 way player that is excellent in all 3 zones. He has developed into a very good face-off guy and has the ability to elevate his play in important situations.

How is his offensive potential ?

You think he has skill to play on the top two lines one day ? How's his stickhandling, shot ? Speed ?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He also just hasn't looked all that great when he's been playing and getting ice time. He just looks like he needs a LOT of work in the next few years and is probably a full 4 year college player.

That's a lot of risk for a team to take in the first round.

Eh, I don't agree so much. While he needs some filling out and refinement, he's also a very young player on a deep roster. I think you'll see a big increase in production next year when he gets more responsibility. He'll be a first rounder, and IMO the top half of the first round.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
wow this seems like a hit or miss kind of draft
good to see alzner drop a bit (for oilers sake) but did his play drop or were the forwards around him rising?

turnbuckle*

Our reports on Andersson from the 5 Nations tourney were spotty - I guess it depends which games you saw.
What is keeping him out of our top 30 at this point is his skating, but we like the rest of his game.

kblanch1

Mar 3, 2002
Manchester, CT
Visit site
Where did Torquato end up for the March ranking? Has his stock increased at all with his trade to Erie? He is getting to play a TON of minutes, and has been thrust into a leadership role, as well. Kinda curious if the extra ice time has helped his stock or highlighted his weaknesses.
Any info would be appreciated.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Where did Torquato end up for the March ranking? Has his stock increased at all with his trade to Erie? He is getting to play a TON of minutes, and has been thrust into a leadership role, as well. Kinda curious if the extra ice time has helped his stock or highlighted his weaknesses.
Any info would be appreciated.

An off-ice incident involving this player was brought up in a thread in the CHL - OHL section so forgive me for rehashing it here. But for your benefit kblanch1, there is the criminal matter currently before the courts in Saginaw county awaiting sentencing, for a crime of 'assault & battery' that Torquato recently pled guilty to. It occurred last October at a team party & involved Torquato and 4 of his then team-mates with the Saginaw Spirit and a 15 year-old girl. You can do the math on the rest of the story and how it may affect his draft stock....then again, it may not, as it has nothing to do with his on-ice performance.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
How about David Perron, how could you have taken him out of the first round? he is scoring way more since your last update and I think he is now first in rookie scoring, although he has played alot more games then Vorachek

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I hope the sharks draft this Backlund kid. I've read here that people think he will be the greatest talent to come out of Sweden since Forsberg, and he's dropping where they can nab him.

Or was is Backstrom? Or Berglund? Does that mean there is a Bergstrom as well?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I hope the sharks draft this Backlund kid. I've read here that people think he will be the greatest talent to come out of Sweden since Forsberg, and he's dropping where they can nab him.

Or was is Backstrom? Or Berglund? Does that mean there is a Bergstrom as well?

No kidding. The future Swedish national team is gonna mess up announcers big time.

Backlund head-mans it to Backstrom....cross ice to Berglund.....over to Bergfors....back to Backstrom....up to Berglund.....over to Backlund.....to Bergfors in the slot.

GSK*

Any news about Backlund ?

Last year some people was saying he was better then Backstrom...

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Perron is having a great first year in the Q. I just check the stats, he is now at 78 pts and Voracek is 2 points ahead with 80 points. I think that if he keeps up the pace in the playoffs, that should allowed him to be drafted in 1st round. Some scouts still have doubts on Perron, so it's why the playoffs will be so important for him.

How about David Perron, how could you have taken him out of the first round? he is scoring way more since your last update and I think he is now first in rookie scoring, although he has played alot more games then Vorachek

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Perron is having a great first year in the Q. I just check the stats, he is now at 78 pts and Voracek is 2 points ahead with 80 points. I think that if he keeps up the pace in the playoffs, that should allowed him to be drafted in 1st round. Some scouts still have doubts on Perron, so it's why the playoffs will be so important for him.
I think it is better to compare Perron to 2006, regular 88 birthdate, draft choices like Perreault, Bouchard and Giroux than 89 born players like Voracek.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Any news about Backlund ?

Last year some people was saying he was better then Backstrom...

He has been injured all season long and only now is skating again. I personally think he's still one of the more talented guys in the draft; if he comes back strong right away like Brassard did, I think he might move up, otherwise someone is going to get a STEAL.

Just my $.02, of course :)

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
How is his offensive potential ?

You think he has skill to play on the top two lines one day ? How's his stickhandling, shot ? Speed ?

We project Andersson as a solid two-way contributor. He's a 21st century-style power forward. Keeps it simple yet plays a smart game. Plays physical game very well. Creates space for linemates. Great along the boards and wins a lot of 1-on-1 battles.

In short, this is the kind of player that every team needs. Coaches love them, but they don't get a lot of glory. We had him ranked in the second round earlier this season and he has climbed steadily.

Last edited:

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS/turnbuckle - would appreciate your thoughts on

Petrecki
Plante
Veilleux
Blum

Petrecki: Good skater with mobility. Loves to hit and uses his size effectively. Great shot. Not much offensive creativity. He has enough skill to play in the NHL, but his offensive role will be limited. He will be a dependable shutdown guy. Think along the lines of a younger Adam Foote, who used to be a much better skater. He's a good character kid, too.

Plante: We see him as a bit of a wildcard. Because he is so big and blessed with such good skating ability and puck skills, a team might take a liking to him. We like his intensity.

Veilleux: A bit of a sleeper, but he's got a good mix of size and skill. A power forward in the making; a good skater, with a powerful stride, good feet and hands.

Blum: An offensive d-man with good puck skills. Doesn't shy away from rough stuff. Needs to fill out but has the frame to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad