ISS Top-30, April 2011

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
2 goals 3 assissts so far in 3 games at the U-18's with a +7.

2nd on the team in scoring behind Mika Zibanejad.

Look forward to seeing the game against Canada today.

It says on eliteprospects that he is moving to the Elitserian league (SEL)?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15747

Maybe Rask had a bad start, he seems to be playing okay in the U18s?

Hes leading the tourney in +/- and is 7th in faceoff %.

On another note, JT miller is leading the Americans it seems like.

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
A highly skilled winger projected by many as a top 5 who drops because of concerns about size/work ethic and is drafted by Columbus?

Let someone else draft him who will do a decent job at development.

Filatov filatov filatov filatov...

Huberdeau wouldn't drop because of work ethic? I know you were talking about Filatov, but it seemed like you were drawing a parralel.

Huberdeau's making a name for himself with an aggressive tenacity that may be unmatched by anyone in the class. He plays bigger than he is and he appears to be a have a frame that will fill out nicely.

arsmaster*

Huberdeau wouldn't drop because of work ethic? I know you were talking about Filatov, but it seemed like you were drawing a parralel.

Huberdeau's making a name for himself with an aggressive tenacity that may be unmatched by anyone in the class. He plays bigger than he is and he appears to be a have a frame that will fill out nicely.

Would it not be more similar to Brassard to the Blue Jackets????

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
A highly skilled winger projected by many as a top 5 who drops because of concerns about size/work ethic and is drafted by Columbus?

Grit and heart ranking:

Huberdeau > Filatov

arsmaster*

It says on eliteprospects that he is moving to the Elitserian league (SEL)?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15747

Maybe Rask had a bad start, he seems to be playing okay in the U18s?

Hes leading the tourney in +/- and is 7th in faceoff %.

On another note, JT miller is leading the Americans it seems like.

Its nice to see the names on the tournaments scoring leaders list include guys like:

JT Miller, Zibanejad, Rask, Armia, Scheifele, Russo, Salomaki. It definately gives a little more insight for me personally, being a west coast guy, to finally see how these guys match up at a best on best tournament.

It definately is going to swing some rankings.....especially with Scheifele's goal scoring prowess...and the lack of production from higher ranked players.

I love that I will actually be able to watch a game today.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
slowly but steadily, hamilton has become the #2 Dman. Considering murphy's gaudy stats, that's impressive.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
slowly but steadily, hamilton has become the #2 Dman. Considering murphy's gaudy stats, that's impressive.

I have to think the playoffs will increase Hamilton's ranking. Currently he has more points then Strome

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Its nice to see the names on the tournaments scoring leaders list include guys like:

JT Miller, Zibanejad, Rask, Armia, Scheifele, Russo, Salomaki. It definately gives a little more insight for me personally, being a west coast guy, to finally see how these guys match up at a best on best tournament.

It definately is going to swing some rankings.....especially with Scheifele's goal scoring prowess...and the lack of production from higher ranked players.

I love that I will actually be able to watch a game today.

TSN?

Its also neat to see Grigorenko and Murray having good tournaments, also being a draft class a year after the guys you listed.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Getting Landeskog at #4 would be epic for us.

A line of Parise-Zajac-Landeskog would be hard to stop if they get the cycle going down low :scared:

I would welcome Landeskog with open arms. However, it seems that some are questioning his offensive ability at the NHL level. I guess the question is a top five player worth taking who may not exceed 50 to 60 pts., even with his great leadership skills and determination? I personally jump on the guy, but some are thinking twice.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Hamilton could easily turn out to be the best defenseman in the draft. He's the youngest of the top defensive prospects (june) and he plays ridiculous amounts of ice time, contributes offensively, is great in his own end and he's a pretty big guy (also scholastic player of the year, and is supposedly one of the most in-shape guys in the OHL.)

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
Good list overall. SC could be lower and Huberdeau higher.

Love to see Armia back in top 10. 4 games and 9 points in the U18's atm, he's been very consistant.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Here is my 2 cents worth on the new ISS listing:

The Inees
26. Klefbom, Oscar - D - 6’3 201 L - 23-1-1-2-2 - Färjestad SWE E
They beat me to it - was waiting to see how this guy looked against the top international competition at the U18’s before I elevated him to the 1st but early indications (3-0-2-2-2-(+4)) are promising. I currently have him @ 34.
28. Phillips, Zack - C - 6’0 181 R - 67-38-57-95-16-(+48) - Saint John QMHL
I have him @ 33 but I can’t argue too much with ISS as this guy has had a good year and has only gotten better in the playoffs (9-7-9-16-4-(+9)).
29. Scheifele, Mark - C - 6’3 175 R - 66-22-53-75-35-(-22) - Barrie OHL
Just like to welcome ISS to the party on Scheifele. I would expect to see the difference between me and ISS dwindle (I have him 16th) on their next rankings as Scheifele has been one of Canada’s best players at the U18’s (3-5-1-6-2-(+3))
30. Brodin, Jonas - D - 6’1 168 L - 42-04-4-12 - Färjestad SWE E
Brodin remains a bit of a mystery to me so I don’t have a problem @ 30 even though I have him a little higher @ 23. He is on the tube this afternoon @ 1:30 Eastern on TSN when Team Sweden takes on Team Canada.

The Outees
Bell, Myles - D - 6’0 202 R - 68-14-31-45-86-(-14) - Regina WHL
When Team Canada didn’t call for the U18’s, ISS got the message.
Jacobs, Colin - C - 6’2 204 R - 68-22-22-44-69-(-20)
Power forward who didn’t produce and got progressively worse as the season went on.
Mayfield, Scott - D - 6’4 200 - R - 52-7-9-16-159-(-18) - Youngstown USHL
Big sized D who can skate very well - just didn’t progress in the way expected this year.
Nermark, Joachim - C - 6’0 187 L - 37-8-18-26-16 - Linköping J20 SWE
Talented guy, hero for Team Sweden at the Ivan Hlinka, just didn’t produce this year and the U18’s are not showing much for him yet either (3-0-0-0-2-(+0))

The Risers
13. Beaulieu, Nathan - D - 6’3 191 L - 65-12-33-45-52-(+44) - Up 10 spots
Simply has too much skill to be ranked much lower; I have him @ 15th.
12. Bärtschi, Sven - LW - 5’10 185 L - 66-34-51-85-74-(+23) - Up 9 spots
Has been simply too good to keep down so low so long.
20. Rask, Victor - C - 6’1 194 L - 37-5-6-11-8 - Up 8 spots
Have ISS got Rask right after all - the jury is still out although the outlook so far from the U18’s is promising (3-2-3-5-4-(+7)) even though most of his points came against Norway. ISS has stuck with this guy even after most of the rest of us abandoned him because of a lack luster season and some character questions.
9. Zibanejad, Mika - RW - 6’2 5-4-9-2 - DjurgÃ¥rdens SWE E - Up 5 spots
The “Z” train is leaving the station, glad to see ISS aboard for the ride - the Z is also having a big U 18 (3-4-3-7-0-(+7)) so far so a future rise is not out of the question.

The Fallers
17. Biggs, Tyler - RW - 6’2 207 R - USNDP U18 USHL - 48-17-11-28-112 - Down 9 spots
Whoever says that these scouting agencies (and most of us, me included) aren’t influenced by other ratings should take a moment to reflect. NHL Central Scouting (CS) dropped this guy like a rock from about 6th to 29th on their final rankings. The drop is a reflexion of two beliefs: this guy likely has only 3rd line skills and has some consistency issues. However, ISS correctly did not buy that this guy would fall all the way to 29th as there is still a big, big market out there for a guy his teammates call “scary” even in practice. ISS got it about right, I currently have him @ 11 but he is likely to drop a few places on my listing after the U18’s based on how well some of his competition is performing.
19. Saad, Brandon - LW - 6’2 206 R - Saginaw OHL - 59-27-28-55-47-(+8) - Down 7 spots
Another rock on CS’s final rankings going from about 9 to 24th on a combined basis. The reason being this guy is never going to turn out to be a power forward like he was projected to be. ISS is about right @ 19; I have him @ 17.
16. Jensen, Nicklas - RW - 6’3 186 L - Oshawa OHL - 61-29-29-58-42-(+19) - Down 5 spots
ISS just got a little over stimulated by this guy’s Jan-11 performance and are now climbing back to earth - Me 25, FC - 22, CS - 26.

The Differences (not previously discussed)
27. Puempel, Matthew - LW - 6’0 196 L - Peterborough OHL - 55-34-35-69-49-(-33) - Down 17 from me
OK, I like him better than most and concede he is likely to be taken a little lower if only because of his season ending injury. However, for me, this guy is this year’s Jeff Skinner and is drastically under ranked. I believe he is the best pure goal scorer in this draft - not too fancy but very economic in his moves and timing in making good things happen. Am I right, stay tuned for next season!!!
22. Catenacci, Daniel - C - 5’10 179 L - SSM OHL - 67-26-45-71-117-(+5) - Up 13 from me
Great skater, small guy. How well does his size translate to the NHL and can he better use his teammates better are the Q’s I have. (3-0-2-2-18-(+2)) so far at the U18’s.
21. Musil, David - D - 6’3 205 L - Vancouver WHL - 62-6-19-25-83-(+1) - Up 9 from me
This is a guy I still like but there are some Q’s on his quickness that may not translate well to the NHL.
25. Grimaldi, Rocco - C - 5’6 161 R - USNDP U18 USHL - 50-34-28-62-57 - Up 7 from me
The difference is narrowing and is simply due to an expectation as to how his size will play out in the NHL.

The Missing
Morrow, Joseph - D - 6’1 198 L - 6’1 198 L - Portland WHL - 60-9-40-49-67-(+23) - No 19 for me
There is a bigger discrepancy on the ratings for this guy than most. Those that like him like me like him a lot; others not so much. Those that do like him believe he has the puck moving, skating and power play skills so important to be successful in today’s NHL.
Jenner, Boone - C - 6’1 204 L - Oshawa OHL - 63-25-41-66-57-(+10) - No 26 for me
Skating is the reason some people mark this guy down but his compete level and his willingness to be the difference maker in key situations for me makes up for any lack of elite skating - this year’s Ryan O’Reilly
Miller, Jonathan - C - 6’1 194 L - USNDP U18 USHL - 48-11-26-37-78 - No 27 for me
I have been wavering on this guy as his output has not matched his skills for most of the year. However a strong U18 to date (3-2-3-5-6-(+0)) has kept him in the 1st for me so far.

Last edited:

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
Puempel and Scheifele so low is absurd.

but then, I never look at ISS as very 'predictive'

They had Joonas Nattinen in their 1st round final listings in 2009, Ferraro at 17, Shore at 18, MP at #4.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009

Well yeah 2 goals and an assist against Norway and then pointless in the games against Canada, Sweden and Czech Republic.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

I can't recall anyone expressing any concerns over Filatov's work ethic in his draft year. On the contrary, he was seen as pretty good in that area. A lot of commentators emphasised his willingness to engage in the physical aspects of the game, with occasional Ovechkin comparisons occurring. As far as I remember there wasn't any concerns over size either. There weren't really any serious knocks on him.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

concerns about huberdeau's work ethic? who has said that? link please :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad