ISS top 10 for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Giants vs Sudbury stats

Fozz said:
You can laugh at that fact all you want but it still remains a fact.

Look at the facts before you state your opinions.

Sudbury Wolves
Goals per game 2.96
Goals against per game 2.72

Vancouver Giants
Goals per game 2.94
Goals against per game 2.84

As you can see the two teams are very similar. So stating that "Pouliot is on a defensive team" is not accurate. Both teams are basically equivalent withing one-tenth of a goal per game defensively. Defensively that works out to 1.2 goals against difference for every 10 games played. Not much of a difference there I'm sorry to say. Offensively in goals per game they are equal, so Brule's individual stats stand out even more. At one time in January for a while Brule actually led the WHL in scoring. I don't think Pouliot was ever close in the OHL.

Again, Brule's accomplishments far surpass Pouliot's accomplishments so far. Brule 3rd in WHL scoring vs. Pouliot 33rd in OHL scoring.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Stiffler's Mom said:
Offensively in goals per game they are equal, so Brule's individual stats stand out even more. At one time in January for a while Brule actually led the WHL in scoring. I don't think Pouliot was ever close in the OHL.

Again, Brule's accomplishments far surpass Pouliot's accomplishments so far. Brule 3rd in WHL scoring vs. Pouliot 33rd in OHL scoring.

Don't you think how they played last season is not nearly as relevant as how scouts think they'll adapt to pro hockey and how good they might in the NHL in 5-6 years? The guys who dominate junior don't necessarily dominate pro. So using stats in draft rankings is really quite questionable.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Stiffler's Mom said:
Look at the facts before you state your opinions.

Sudbury Wolves
Goals per game 2.96
Goals against per game 2.72

Vancouver Giants
Goals per game 2.94
Goals against per game 2.84

As you can see the two teams are very similar. So stating that "Pouliot is on a defensive team" is not accurate. Both teams are basically equivalent withing one-tenth of a goal per game defensively. Defensively that works out to 1.2 goals against difference for every 10 games played. Not much of a difference there I'm sorry to say. Offensively in goals per game they are equal, so Brule's individual stats stand out even more. At one time in January for a while Brule actually led the WHL in scoring. I don't think Pouliot was ever close in the OHL.

How can you compare numbers from 2 different leagues?
Sudbury was a defense-first team all year long and that's a fact. Pouliot worked really well within that system and that too is considered by scouts when evalutating prospects.

iamcaper

There's no questioning Brule's accomplishments or skills but does his size not concern anybody here? While the new CBA may breath new life into the existence of the smaller skaters, if the actual game doesn't change from what it's been, would Brule's size not be on the minds of GM's thus possibly causing him to fall behind Ryan, Pouliot, and maybe Kopitar? Especially seeing as a lot of people see the talent level from 2 to 6 being pretty close

Enquiring minds want to know... :dunno:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
iamcaper said:
There's no questioning Brule's accomplishments or skills but does his size not concern anybody here? While the new CBA may breath new life into the existence of the smaller skaters, if the actual game doesn't change from what it's been, would Brule's size not be on the minds of GM's thus possibly causing him to fall behind Ryan, Pouliot, and maybe Kopitar? Especially seeing as a lot of people see the talent level from 2 to 6 being pretty close

I just wrote about this on the Kopitar, Ryan, Brule thread but nobody has answered me. I've asked this maybe 5 times and noone can refute it, so I dont know what to think.

Balej's Dance said:
I dont think Brule is as safe as some make it seem. He has just as much risk as Ryan or Kopitar. His slight frame, small stature, and type of game just doesn't bode well with pro style game. Now if the game is opened up like they're saying, then he may not be as risky.I've said this many times but noone has really answered me, what is the difference between Gilbert Brule and Jamie Lundmark? Since Lundmark has been a dissappointment for the NYR, could you convince me Brule is not the next JL II? Same style of game, offensive whiz with jam...same build...same league...supposedly captain material based on Jr. efforts. However, JL was not able to carry his physical game, tenacity, and style that he put forth on the junior level. As of right now, he hasn't shown us the goods to warrant number 9 selection. What is gonna allow Brule to flourish and prove worthy of a high dp?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
iamcaper said:

I'll put it this way: Brule does not possess more skill (or potential) than Ryan, Kopitar, or Pouliot. He's a very good player with a good skill-set, but is also quite a bit smaller than those three and plays a style that is injury prone, especially in the pros. You do the math. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top five pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the top five either.

Last edited:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Rabid Ranger said:
I'll put it this way: Brule does not possess more skill (or potential) than Ryan, Kopitar, or Pouliot. He's a very good player with a good skill-set, but is also quite a bot smaller than those three and plays a style that is injury prone, especially in the pros. You do the math. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top five pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the top five either.

Heres my argument for Brule against each of those players, based on the premise that he is as skilled, but smaller than each of the players you mentioned.

Against Ryan-He is a much better skater now than Ryan will ever be. He has as good a shot now as Ryan will ever have. He doesn't have personal issues like Ryan does.

Against Kopitar-Hes from Canada. He has been playing the NHL style of game for years. emm...thats it:P

Against Pouliot-He relishes playing in traffic, mucking it up in the corners. He has been on the radar of NHL scouts for several years. Consistent 100% effort, unlike Pouliot.

Don't get me wrong, I think any of these four have a chance of going 3rd overall, but arguements can be made for Brule, make no mistake. Just because he is smaller than the average NHL forward doesn't mean he will be injury prone just because he plays a physical style.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Captain Conservative said:
Heres my argument for Brule against each of those players, based on the premise that he is as skilled, but smaller than each of the players you mentioned.

Against Ryan-He is a much better skater now than Ryan will ever be. He has as good a shot now as Ryan will ever have. He doesn't have personal issues like Ryan does.

Against Kopitar-Hes from Canada. He has been playing the NHL style of game for years. emm...thats it:P

Against Pouliot-He relishes playing in traffic, mucking it up in the corners. He has been on the radar of NHL scouts for several years. Consistent 100% effort, unlike Pouliot.

Don't get me wrong, I think any of these four have a chance of going 3rd overall, but arguements can be made for Brule, make no mistake. Just because he is smaller than the average NHL forward doesn't mean he will be injury prone just because he plays a physical style.

I never said that a case couldn't be made for Brule, just that there are some inherant strikes against him. Like it or not, he's a smallish guy that likely won't get much bigger. If he continues to play his headlong style, he's bound to get hurt at the NHL level.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I never said that a case couldn't be made for Brule, just that there are some inherant strikes against him. Like it or not, he's a smallish guy that likely won't get much bigger. If he continues to play his headlong style, he's bound to get hurt at the NHL level.

I'd say that Brule is a wild card because of his size. I would also say that out of Kopitar, Poulliot, and Ryan, IMO Brule has the best hands, the best shot, plays the most physical game (even more so then Ryan), and his skating is better the rest although Poulliot skates really good as well. The questions about him are his size (how it will affect him at the NHL level), and whether he can avoid playing like a hot head. He seemed like a bit of a puckhog last year, but I would say that's because his linemates weren't exactly the best, and he got beat on a lot (slashed behind the play) because the Giants traded away their only enforcer, which is where his injuries came from. Of the forwards being talked about for second overall, I like his upside the best because I think he has the best skillset and really didn't get to show it off all the time because of his injuries but everyone knows that size is important when drafting and thus Poulliot, Ryan, and Kopitar will probably come out on top and that's pretty reasonable because size is important in the NHL. Keep in mind though, that when Brule makes the jump to the NHL there's no way he's only 165 unless a crap team picks him and he makes the jump right away.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:

Kopitar - Kopitar's skating is probably his biggest weakness (but I've only seen him on TV so it's hard for me to tell)

Pouliot - He shows up pretty much as often as Brule does actually, they are both pretty inconsistent (but they're kids). He's just worse at pretty much everything then Brule right now, but the potential to be better is there and he has size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->