ISS Top 10 for March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
I'm a gambling man, and I would bet all my money that he goes top 3. I've said all along I would understand Columbus taking Johnson 2nd...

I'll bet you there were plenty of gambling men that would have bet that Tukonen would have gone top 10 last draft. Probably plenty that would have bet Parise would have gone top 15 in 2003. Probably plenty that would have bet that Wheeler wasn't a top 15 pick last year. Probaby plenty that would have bet Hudler would go in the first round. If you've followed the draft for a while you know that you should expect some surprises. And if you've followed the draft for a while you should know that there is rarely consensus on who the top guys are. Frankly none of us (excluding any lurking scouts) know where the teams rank these kids. You haven't even seen most (or all) of the rest of the top 10 in person.

Obviously you are a gambling man because you don't have much substance behind your stance that he's a lock for the top 3. It would be a true gamble to bet money on that, especially this early.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Falon said:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of HF rating do you think that Johnson would get? And do you think he is now the 2nd best player in the draft behind Crosby?

I give him the second best, yes.

Rating? 8.0B?

I prefer prospects to start lower, and grow higher as they prove things at higher levels (WJC, AHL...). I like Johnson alot.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Spitfire11 said:
Why they even bother mentioning Brian Soso is beyond me. He was actually considered an NHL prospect? He gets maybe 6 shifts a game, that is on the rare occation he's not a healthy scratch.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If they can't even get his name right (Sosa?), why mention a 4th line scrub as falling? He was never up to begin with.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
All I can do is evaluate a prospect on the games I saw of them. Frankly Brule was pretty much invisible in both games I saw. I expect more from a supposed franchise forward, doesn't matter what excuse you want to offer up. If I had a larger sample size, I would be more confident in my opinion on him. There's certainly a chance I'm wrong on him. Put whatever caveat on my opinion you want to make it palatable. I do find it kind of funny that I'm being persecuted for forming an opinion on watching a guy for two live games when people on this board are constantly offering up opinions on prospects they've NEVER seen live. Monster_Bertuzzi did it in this same thread when he said Brule is more talented and has a higher potential than anybody outside of Crosby.

Is my opinion (questioning whether he's worthy of a top 3 pick) really that outlandish when CSS has him 6th in North America? Obviously they don't see him as a top 3 pick either and they scout for a living.

This is kind of off-topic, but I think it can be risky to form an opinion of any player based on 2 or 3 or 5 games. Personally I would rather not see any games of a player, and base my opinion simply on the various reports I can read about them, than see 2 or 3 or even 5 games; I think it's too likely that I'll get a non-representative viewing of him. And that viewing will influence where I rank him, even if I'm trying to conciously avoid reading too much into a small sample size.

*edit* I realize you aren't basing your opinion of Brule solely on your few live viewings of him. The above paragraph is more of a generalization from my POV.*edit*

Then again, I have a fairly unorthodox view/theory on how scouting lists should be compiled, in that I think the person in charge of creating the final combined list for a team should try to NOT see any games live, to reduce the inherent bias in seeing a prospect appear in limited games where you can't be sure than his performance is an accurate representation of his play or if it's an anomoly. Maybe it's different if the list compiler will see the guy play something like 15 times that year, but even then I might prefer that the list compiler not see any games at all.

Last edited:

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Bobby Ryan must be a really bad skater because from what I hear he has the size and hands to be a stud. Is there anything lacking in his game other than his skating? Lateral movement can be taught but flat out speed is harder to teach. How bad is it?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
There are a lot of things I wanted to address regarding Brule while reading over this thread; so many, in fact, that I have forgotten many of them.

First of all, I see Brule all the time, but I think I can confidently say that I have very little bias in either direction regarding him.

I really don't think Brule will ever be a franchise forward in the sense that a Sakic, Forsberg, Fedorov, Naslund, Iginla or even Yzerman - to whom Brule has been compared - is. He will not dominate offensively at the NHL level, and his shot and hand eye coordination are his only elite skills. His passing, playmaking and vision are good for the WHL, but nothing special in the NHL, his speed and acceleration are very good but not great, and his general offensive awareness does not particularly impress me.

Despite all of this, Brule could become the kind of player who is a franchise cornerstone. Trevor Linden was never an elite offensive talent, was never among the league leading scorers, and never had the same skill that other guys did, but he was still an extremely important player for the Canucks (I am talking about the Linden of old here). Brule could become a similar kind of player if he reaches his maximum potential. Someone who can score but not with the best of them, will battle and grind with anyone, and do all the little things necessary to win. This kind of player is very important to a team, and although Brule might not win any scoring titles in the NHL, he could be among the most valuable players to his team. This is not to say Brule is like in playing style to Linden, only that they could have similar impacts in their primes.

Size is not a big issue with Brule. People must understand that size is not important on its own, and only as an indicator of other physical attributes like strength, power, strength on skates, and a person's ability to improve in these areas. Brule is not strong enough to completely overcome his size, but I don't think it will really hold him back a whole lot.

In comparison to other highly ranked players for the upcoming draft, Brule really should be a consensus top 3. I've only seen Pouliot a few times, but he does not look to be in the same class as Brule. The things Brule is doing in the WHL this season, a MUCH tougher league than the OHL, are significantly more impressive than Pouliot's accomplishments for Sudbury. The only reason I can imagine Pouliot is ranked ahead of Brule is size, and I don't think Pouliot is as strong as Brule anyway. I can't compare Johnson as I've never seen him, but judging from reports, monster_bertuzzi is probably correct in saying it's comparing apples and oranges, and it will probably come down to team preference.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
I personally think that Pouliots stats could be better if he wasnt playing on different lines all the time, plus Sudbury is a very defensive team (there on pace to set a new team record for fewest GA this season...). That being said, Brule should still be ahead of Pouliot, I see Pouliot going 5th or 6th overall at his highest, where as Brule is top 3 if teams dont get scared because of his size. The NHL scouts are coming to Sudbury in droves it seems, and Mcquaid could very well be a top 4 defenseman in his future, his size, grittiness and smartness are all great assets, and he compliments a player like (Marc) Staal greatly too. I hope there is no NHL season for 05-06.

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
ryan

Bobby Ryan must be a really bad skater because from what I hear he has the size and hands to be a stud. Is there anything lacking in his game other than his skating? Lateral movement can be taught but flat out speed is harder to teach. How bad is it?

Ryans skating is fine as well as his lateral movement. He will get QUICKER

Rounder

Jan 23, 2005
Ryan

He will get QUICKER as he matures. He will be drafted in the top 5 and many scouts feel he has the potential to have a better pro career than the handful of players rated ahead of him

MetalMilitia

Jan 8, 2005
Ok, Bobby Ryan is one year younger than Pouliot, he has 20 more points in less games, and he is ranked lower. Sure Bobby's skating isn't great, but lastyear he was far worse!! He is making great progress in his skating ability, and Bobby should be number 2, no doubt about it! :mad: I see Bobby Ryan play atleast once a week, and he is very skilled! He can pull off some dangles that would make you jump out of your seat and go insane. He will go #2 in the draft, and Detroit will get him somehow :handclap:

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
monster_bertuzzi said:
Yes you've made that very clear. To bad the times you have caught Brule have been the 3rd game of 3 straight games. Apparently these scouts are in the same boat as you...
If Brule would committ himself and stop being such a whiny, prissy, stuck up little ***** then he could be a star, IMO, he will bust.

MetalMilitia

Jan 8, 2005
King Fish said:

He isn' the greatest skater, but he is getting better with every game, and next year, I am predicting his skating will get a lot better! Basically, his skating isn't a big problem, he basically has no big problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad