ISS Rankings (top 30)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Don't understand that cries about Couturier ranked so low.

Fact 1: He had poor WJC. He was from unimpressive to invisible as tournament went on.
Fact 2: Canada lost finals - I know, not Couturier's falt, but still...

I agree, that being overhyped before WJC is the main reason, why he's so low now. But he's got enough time to prove people wrong. Personally, I think that #3 suits him well at the moment (drop to #4 no big deal though). If he can dominate Q again, than he can regain his #1 status, but right now, Larsson and Landeskog are clearly in front of him...

thank god you don't scout for my team...with those two facts you gave it still does not give a fact that Landeskog is better than him...Landeskog was hurt during the whole tournament so we never got to see him play against that compeition...so your comparing Couturier not doing what you thought offensivly in the world juniors but yet he played well overall, an comparing to what Landeskog is doing in the OHL though compared Courturier is doing just the same in the QMJHL and he doesn't have a team like Kitchener around him...so to make a judgement on a player that is too young to be drafted yet compared to NHL 1st round picks already for the last year or two and not understand why he never exploded offensivly....

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Couturier did NOT have a poor WJHC. He didnt play to the unfair expectations that were placed on him, largely by people who have never seen him play before.

There was unfair hype on him because of the last 2 guys who were touted at #1(Tavares and Hall) having really good performances at the WJHC in their draft years.

Stamkos didnt set the world on fire at the WJHC in his draft year either.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Canada lost in the gold medal game...if Canada won gold, and Coturier had the exact same performance people wouldnt be saying he had a poor tournament.

He looked solid in the pre-tourney, and I think if they would have put him with Leblanc early in the tournament we would have saw more fluid offensive bursts.

Brayden Schenn led the tourney in points and even had a 5 point game, his offensive game wasnt that impressive though.....mostly garbage goals, where he fanned on his first attempt only to bang in the 2nd.....stats at the WJHC dont tell the whole story, especially when playing as a 3rd line center on a deep yet, mediocrely talented squad. Sean will be fine. Just like we cant expect Schenn to score 4 points a game.

thank god you don't scout for my team...with those two facts you gave it still does not give a fact that Landeskog is better than him...Landeskog was hurt during the whole tournament so we never got to see him play against that compeition...so your comparing Couturier not doing what you thought offensivly in the world juniors but yet he played well overall, an comparing to what Landeskog is doing in the OHL though compared Courturier is doing just the same in the QMJHL and he doesn't have a team like Kitchener around him...so to make a judgement on a player that is too young to be drafted yet compared to NHL 1st round picks already for the last year or two and not understand why he never exploded offensivly....

Okay. So. If it's so obviously unreasonable to push Couturier down the rankings because of his performance at the WJC, what explanation do you guys have for the fact that he's sliding down the rankings? He's 4th both on ISS and TSN (which is based on polling 10 NHL scouts), so surely it's not pure coincidence? Scouts are just putting him down on the entirely irrational reasoning of Canada losing the gold medal game, despite the fact hew didn't have an important role on the team? And if they'd won, NHL teams would rank him higher despite his lack of any real impact on that outcome?

.so to make a judgement on a player that is too young to be drafted yet compared to NHL 1st round picks already for the last year or two and not understand why he never exploded offensivly....

Well, your problem is that this is exactly the judgment that NHL scouts seem to be making, for some reason. Why? If it's so obviously invalid?

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Name|#Aug|#Sep|#Oct|#Nov|#Dec|#Jan
Adam Larsson|2|3|3|3|3|1|
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins|6|2|2|2|2|2|
Gabriel Landeskog|11|6|6|4|4|3|
Sean Couturier|1|1|1|1|1|4|
Ryan Strome|-|-|-|12|9|5|
Ryan Murphy|8|9|4|5|6|6|
Duncan Siemens|10|11|11|8|8|7|
Douglas Hamilton|-|10|10|11|11|8|
Brandon Saad|7|7|7|9|5|9|
Niclas Jensen|22|-|-|-|-|10|
Joel Armia|17|19|15|6|7|11|
Tyler Biggs|28|30|-|-|28|12|
David Musil|4|4|9|14|13|13|
Victor Rask|3|5|5|7|10|14|
Alexander Khokhlachev|-|21|13|18|14|15|
Mark McNeill|-|-|-|27|15|16|
Dmitrij Jaskin|-|-|29|19|16|17|
Matthew Puempel|12|8|8|10|12|18|
Jonathan Huberdeau|-|-|-|-|-|19|
Ty Rattie|19|-|-|25|30|20|
Vladislav Namestnikov|9|20|21|20|19|21|
Scott Mayfield|-|-|-|22|21|22|
Myles Bell|-|-|23|15|17|23|
Sven Bärtschi|-|-|-|-|26|24|
Rocco Grimaldi|-|-|30|30|23|25|
Tomas Jurco|14|14|14|17|22|26|
Matthew Nieto|18|22|22|21|20|27|
Colin Jacobs|-|-|-|26|27|28|
Daniel Catenacci|23|23|24|-|29|29|
Rickard Rakell|-|-|-|-|-|30|
Robbie Russo|25|-|25|13|18|-|
Maxim Shalunov|-|16|18|24|24|-|
Shane McColgan|15|17|19|23|25|-|
Seth Ambroz|5|12|12|16|-|-|
Patrick Koudys|-|29|28|28|-|-|
Adam Clendening|21|15|17|29|-|-|
Oscar Klefbom|-|13|16|-|-|-|
Boone Jenner|16|18|20|-|-|-|
Joachim Nermark|29|24|26|-|-|-|
Connor Murphy|-|26|27|-|-|-|
Brett Ritchie|-|25|-|-|-|-|
Scott Harrington|-|27|-|-|-|-|
Alan Quine|-|28|-|-|-|-|
Nick Shore|13|-|-|-|-|-|
Michael St. Croix|20|-|-|-|-|-|
Garrett Meurs|24|-|-|-|-|-|
Anton Zlobin|26|-|-|-|-|-|
Nathan Beaulieu|27|-|-|-|-|-|
Mika Zibanejad|30|-|-|-|-|-|

The Habs will move up to get Huberdeau, mark my words!!

Latex*

I'm going to guess that there's concerns as to how he will adapt to the game here when he comes over... He couldn't have done much worse for himself in the WJC. (IMO and all that...)

Huberdeau wasn't even in the Top 30 prior to January so I don't see the big deal there... If anything, it's a positive that he went from nothing to #19. In all likelyhood he'll keep rising.

Armia really wasn't as bad as people say, he just was not able to show his skills up in the scoreboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad