ISS 2012 top-30 (October)

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Hmmn, I just can't see Galchenyuk put up 25 points in 10 games EVER. With or without Yakupov, I just don't think he is capable.

Yakupov has a history of better production and is simply a more dynamic player. It remains to be seen if he can actually keep his current pace, but i think we are potentially looking at a 120 point season here with a WJC break. Scary.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the top 10 seems pretty stacked this year

I think the Oilers are gonna fall between 4th-6th in this years draft...anyone of Dumba, Reilly, Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Trouba should be an excellent pick

is Galchenyuk a natural center?

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Weird that Ã…berg isnt higher on this list. Hes tearing it up in the SEL (for his age). His shot is amazing

Idont want to sound like a homer, but hes the only guy that Ive seen in this years crop, except Forsberg and Collberg

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Dumba and Rielly really getting huge boosts.

Still surprised to see Athanasiou low and makes sense for Galchenyuk.

Seems Reinhart didn't have a good month of hockey either.

Every time I see him I am impressed by him...until he get's in close to the net. His hands need to catch up to his feet.

As for Ebert...he hasn't had the best start to season but is actually starting to use his body and working on his defensive zone coverage. He will be a first round pick but his play (for a team's projection) will really determine if a team takes him in the top 10 or just top 30.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Weird that Ã…berg isnt higher on this list. Hes tearing it up in the SEL (for his age). His shot is amazing

Idont want to sound like a homer, but hes the only guy that Ive seen in this years crop, except Forsberg and Collberg

It's kinda like Zibanejad last year...you could see the way people were talking about him and the responsibility he was getting towards the end of the year that he was underrated on lists....but you could tell by the time the next list comes out he'd be higher.

I'd say the same thing for what Abergs done...he keeps it up he'll keep steadily rising. If he does it all season, he's top 10. He hasn't had the chance to do it for long enough to get rated that highly yet...even if the people that watch him all the time say he's for real.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Määttä's stock is going to start dropping if he can't score in the OHL... I'm a bit surprised not to see Ville Pokka, tho. He's currently playing in a pro-league with men and has been quite impressive.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Gaunce is so high. I've never seen him play. What separates him from Ryan O'Reilly, Ethan Werek, Peter Holland, Austin Watson, Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner, Mark Scheifele, Stefan Noesen, Boone Jenner and any of the other top OHL picks from the last few years that have decent size, and intangibles?

I saw Belleville earlier this year and made a point of watching him as he has been talked about. Truth is he was absolutely invisible. That is just one game mind you, but I was not impressed in the least.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
Isn't Filip Forsberg somewhat overrated, really? 2 points in 10 games in the SEL 2 is not very impressive to be honest, actually very similar numbers to what other eligible players like Henrik Samuelsson (who has been disappointing so far though) and Erik Nyström has racked up in the SEL, not to mention Åberg.

So to you guys who have actually seen him play, is he really top 5 material?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Isn't Filip Forsberg somewhat overrated, really? 2 points in 10 games in the SEL 2 is not very impressive to be honest, actually very similar numbers to what other eligible players like Henrik Samuelsson (who has been disappointing so far though) and Erik Nyström has racked up in the SEL, not to mention Åberg.

So to you guys who have actually seen him play, is he really top 5 material?

Patrik Berlund put up 4 points in a SEL-2 season and was picked in 1st round. Don't think anybody questions if he was worth it now.

Forsberg is a big talent. He dominates at international stage. He also has size at 6'2 196 and is good all-around player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Link to TSN

1. NAIL YAKUPOV LW 5'10 189 L Oct. 6/93 Sarnia OHL
2. MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO RW 6'3 200 L May 16/94 Quebec QMJHL
4. FILIP FORSBERG RW 6'1 176 R Aug. 13/94 Leksands SweAI
17. ALEXANDER GALCHENYUK RW 6'0 198 L Feb. 12/94 Sarnia OHL

Can someone help me out. I thought Yakupov played RW not left, as he has often been compared to Alexander Mogilny (who was pretty adamant to play on his off-wing all the time). Also, I thought Grigorenko played C. Is he a 'tweener, able to play both center and wing? Similarly, I thought Forsberg played C, as well. Lastly, I had Galchenyuk pegged as a C/LW, not RW.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Can someone help me out. I thought Yakupov played RW not left, as he has often been compared to Alexander Mogilny (who was pretty adamant to play on his off-wing all the time). Also, I thought Grigorenko played C. Is he a 'tweener, able to play both center and wing? Similarly, I thought Forsberg played C, as well. Lastly, I had Galchenyuk pegged as a C/LW, not RW.

Grigorenko is a center...

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12191/iss_top302010_prospects_june/

13th at the Final ISS Rankings.

It's strange, because Martin Frk is also injured with a Concussion and he climbed from 17th to 14th at the ISS Rankings, and Alex Galchenyuk dropped from 9th to 17th for the same reason. But despite that, it seems a solid and safe list. No big surprises, but happy to see Anton Slepyshev getting some love after his strong start at KHL.

Plus, Matia Marcantuoni is ranked 12th and he's out with concussion and I am pretty sure most people would have Galchenyuk ahead of Matia prior to either players' injury.

Big woops on ISS' part IMO.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

Yakupov plays the right wing (as a left hand shooter). Correct.

Grigorenko is a center.

Galchenyuk is primarily a C. I haven't ever seen him play wing to be honest.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Patrik Berlund put up 4 points in a SEL-2 season and was picked in 1st round. Don't think anybody questions if he was worth it now.

Forsberg is a big talent. He dominates at international stage. He also has size at 6'2 196 and is good all-around player.

The thing is that Berglund went 25th overall and Forsberg is now seen as a top 5 pick. There's a big difference between 5th and 25th.

Btw also Mikael Backlund was picked 24th in -07 after registering only 3 points in Allsvenskan, and he wasn't a pick wasted either. So scoring in large numbers is not necessarily required to getting picked from the Allsvenskan in the first round. One would however think that Forsberg would show up more on the scoresheet with all the hype he's getting. I guess stats aren't everything.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Has he had hell of a start in Sweden? I remember him being talked about late 1st early - 2nd round over the summer.

He has scored 5 goals, 8 pts in 12 games for Djurgården. Collberg has 0 pts in 8 games as a comparison and Mika Zibanejad had 5 goals, 9 pts in 26 games last season playing for the same team. I know stats aren't everything, but I too thought he would shoot up the rankings.

Yeah he's looked good... and his shot... It's really dirty. REALLY dirty. I dont think it's really fair to bring up Collbergs 0 pts in 8 games though since his icetime has been rather... non-existant :p

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Landeskog is more of Toews while both Forsberg/Collberg are more like Kane. It's the simplest example I could do.

From what McKenzie and Button have said, Forsberg is actually pretty physical. I would say that he is more like Toews than Kane in that respect. He probably has better hands than Landeskog but isn't as physical as Landy. They compared him to Mats Sundin.

As far as I know, Grigorenko has always been listed as a C, and Forsberg has always been listed as a W in the past.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Seeing Galchenyuk being placed right around where the Leafs will be picking makes me very, very happy.

He's only slipping because he hasn't played a game yet. Once he gets back expect him to be in the top 5.

Its also great to see Ceci slowly start climbing. I think he's going to be a top 10 pick. He kind of reminds me of Brent Seabrook. Is great at everything but elite at nothing.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Taken from ISS risers and fallers and oddly Ville Pokka was under fallers:

Ville Pokka, D, Karpat
This big offensive d-men has some intriguing offensive upside however there are some worrisome trends in his game that are becoming an issue as he heads down the path to draft day. The biggest of which is his risky defensive play. He is elusive but can be fairly risky at times as well. His creativity is growing and with that so is his boldness to attempt different things, that confidence has led to some minor growing pains.

Were ISS on acid when they were watching him play? I've seen 3 of his games so far playing in SM-liiga and never did it even come into mind the the kid is reckless. From what I've seen obviously he's made mistakes but generally speaking he's been really calm with the puck and he's made mostly good decisions. I was actually looking for Pokka to be under "risers" not "fallers"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well deserved #2 for Grigorenko. I know Galchenyuk is injured (when is he back?), but #17..he will rise when he returns. Kind of suprise that Galchenyuk fell because of injury, but Frk didn't.

Gaunce a bit too high for my taste at this moment.

I agree with the bolded parts.

I'm surprised Galchenyuk is rated so low. Is the injury something that has long-term effects on his abilities (ie. a serious leg injury that will forever hamper his skating)? Otherwise, I don't know why he'd drop so far considering he's been mentioned in draft discussions as a top-10, potentially top-5 player.

As for Gauncer, to me he's someone who will end up being a "safe" pick. I haven't seen the explosive offensive upside that most top-10 picks have. He's seems more like the kind of guy who'll be a solid second liner, with good defensive play and work ethic, but not outstanding offense.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I agree with the bolded parts.

I'm surprised Galchenyuk is rated so low. Is the injury something that has long-term effects on his abilities (ie. a serious leg injury that will forever hamper his skating)? Otherwise, I don't know why he'd drop so far considering he's been mentioned in draft discussions as a top-10, potentially top-5 player.

As for Gauncer, to me he's someone who will end up being a "safe" pick. I haven't seen the explosive offensive upside that most top-10 picks have. He's seems more like the kind of guy who'll be a solid second liner, with good defensive play and work ethic, but not outstanding offense.

RE: Galchenyuk's ranking

I really honestly think its almost an out of sight out of mind thing going on with him. Other kids are impressing and breaking out while Galchenyuk hasn't been able to wow scouts yet. I fully expect him to be a top 10 pick maybe top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad