GDT: Isn't there a game tonight?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
All I know is if I was a ref and 2 groups of coworkers lost their duties for what was deemed a bad job involving a single team, I would naturally call games involving that team a bit differently, both consciously and subconsciously.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Can't it be both/a combination of factors? The Sharks have been playing from behind, their D-zone coverage has been garbage, and they've been taking a bunch of stupid stick foul/holding penalties as a result. They're not going to get the benefit of the doubt on borderline stuff because they're committing the obvious stuff, and that seems reasonable.

Where I do have an issue with it, though, is that they're not getting the calls on more dangerous player safety-type plays. That to me is a problem because if you call nothing else, call the ones that affect the score and the ones that could get somebody hurt. And I think at least some of that is because of the fallout from last year's playoffs.

...or they just suck all around. Is interference still in the rule book?

This is a league wide problem - not just against the Sharks. It has happened to the Canucks, the Leafs, Colorado, Bruins, Ducks, Rangers, etc. To act like it's a Sharks issue is just plain wrong.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Look we all agree the day refs get replaced with robots the game will benefit.

Automation will save us from the tyranny of nhl reffing

All ref bots will have a command directive IF/THEN statement whereby if the Sharks are involved the punishment will automatically be more frequent and severe.

Doubly so if the player involved wears #9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad