GDT: Is'nt their a game tonight? | Game 29 | Sens @ Oil | Wed Dec 4th 9:30 | TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think they are over compensating a little bit after being the laughing stock of the league for almost a decade as well as perennial lottery winners.

Must be hard not being able to look down on anyone for so long.

Just funny how the lucky AHL team ended up running them out of the rink.

That can happen when you have an NHL teams running all second and third liners against an AHL team complemented by two NHL stars and the occasional NHLer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anisimov has a better faceoff percentage than Smith this season but ok? Also, he has only played 10 games due to injury, but when he has played he has been noticeable, not great, but not bad either.

Smith was good at some point, but has just simply not lived up to expectations, at all. He had so much potential for becoming an elite 3rd line shutdown centre but just could not do it.
Wrong again, Smith was here for over a decade & along with Pageau were the shutdown line against the other team's best lines & they were the two best penalty killers in the league for a number of yrs. And he even proved he had offence to his game when they finally put him with Stone on an offensive line which he scored 25 goals. And along with Pageau were the two best faceoff guys in Ottawa for yrs in every situation.

Anisimov will be quickly forgotten here & I would bet most casual fans have no idea who he is, he is certainly invisible most nights on the ice, especially if he isn't producing pts offensively because he does nothing else. The only thing that I would agree to is that Smith's time in Ottawa was up & IMO he was pretty much done in the NHL but while he was here he was an SOB to play against something this team was usually lacking.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So was Smith
No he wasn't, you're just another hater of those kinds of players that are grinders & hard to play against & don't provide the flashy goal scoring. Yes in his last couple of yrs due to injuries he was starting to break down & slow down & it was time to move on from him, but at one point Smith was one of the best 3rd line centres in the league. I used to love watching him give it to Kadri constantly.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No he wasn't, you're just another hater of those kinds of players that are grinders & hard to play against & don't provide the flashy goal scoring. Yes in his last couple of yrs due to injuries he was starting to break down & slow down & it was time to move on from him, but at one point Smith was one of the best 3rd line centres in the league. I used to love watching him give it to Kadri constantly.

This is hyperbole. You can acknowledge Smith as a player without resorting to that (we're all guilty around here though).

Prior to playing on the wing with Stone his career in goals was 14, points was 26. He'd been a positive player once in his entire career. None of that screams "one of the best" anything in the league. He was a valuable piece for a few years, but I'm not even sure you can argue he was ever the best 3rd line player on the Sens, let alone the whole league :laugh:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Chabot has amazing hands and ability to beat people one on one and can make passes, while Karlsson relied on amazing vision and passes and plays methodically. It just looks really different to me. Both electrifying though
Best sequence of the game for me started at about 7:00 of the third. Chabot snaked the puck right off McDavid's stick, got the puck safely out to centre, joined the rush, took a pass and carried the puck all the way in, tried a centering pass that didn't work, and somehow passed every other player on the ice and caught Draisaitl from behind before he could make a play. That was Karlsson-like.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I really hated the Archibald hit, anyone looking at it can clearly see Archie spotted Paul (a former teammate isn't it?), and ran him. Paul probably is concussed.

Great effort, and aside from a few bad periods, the team has played with heart throughout this losing skid. Nice for Brown to score, as he does everything but. Ennis, good on him taking advantage of the extra minutes. Not sure why so much disdain for the guy. All he does is work hi ass off. he is a basically a very skilled Steve Martins. A poor man's Marty St. Louis.

That offside review is a joke. They have to implement a new rule. Once a goal is scored, the ref will put his arm up and tell the coach he has 30 seconds to review. If they have to look at it for 2 minutes, like Travis Green got the other night , to find the offside. then that is not the spirit of the rule. DJ basically did not hesitate. Doing it that way will eliminate the "too close to call" offsides. Same as Hainsey who got jobbed in the Leaf game. Babcock had well over a minute to determine the offside. If he has thirty seconds, then that is a goal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I really hated the Archibald hit, anyone looking at it can clearly see Archie spotted Paul (a former teammate isn't it?), and ran him. Paul probably is concussed.

Great effort, and aside from a few bad periods, the team has played with heart throughout this losing skid. Nice for Brown to score, as he does everything but. Ennis, good on him taking advantage of the extra minutes. Not sure why so much disdain for the guy. All he does is work hi ass off. he is a basically a very skilled Steve Martins. A poor man's Marty St. Louis.

That offside review is a joke. They have to implement a new rule. Once a goal is scored, the ref will put his arm up and tell the coach he has 30 seconds to review. If they have to look at it for 2 minutes, like Travis Green got the other night , to find the offside. then that is not the spirit of the rule. DJ basically did not hesitate. Doing it that way will eliminate the "too close to call" offsides. Same as Hainsey who got jobbed in the Leaf game. Babcock had well over a minute to determine the offside. If he has thirty seconds, then that is a goal.

Garrioch is reporting it as a neck strain and he isn't expected to be out long.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I get the sense that some fans around here think we are going to dump 12-15 rookies and sophomores into the lineup at the same time and that’s just not realistic either.

We can still trade our veteran forwards and not have to fill a roster full of inexperienced players.

If we decide to trade Tierney, Pageau, etc - we can get back NHL bodies as throw ins from other teams. Similar to how we got Duclair back in the Dzingel trade, Lindberg back from Vegas, and how we acquired Gibbons for a tweener in Sieloff.

We won't trade players like Ennis, because he has little value at the deadline. Nobody is giving up anything for a small bottom 6 scorer whose stats are pumped up by playing on a team with low depth. Boedker has no value either and will only get moved if it is needed as a way to even out cash in a bigger trade.

Defense might be a bit trickier. We have three UFAs. Those spots are harder to fill. We should at least move the most valuable unsigned defender out of Boro/Demelo/Hainsey.

Reactions: NyQuil

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Lol what?

I like Brady. He is exactly what you described in your first sentence.

I don't think you've read my post or failed to understand it. I said Smith was an elite 3rd line center. His last few years here he was terrible. I don't think there is any arguing that...

I also liked Neil but same as Smith, during his last couple years here he was terrible

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lol what?

I don't think you've read my post or failed to understand it. I said Smith was an elite 3rd line center. His last few years here he was terrible. I don't think there is any arguing that...

I also liked Neil but same as Smith, during his last couple years here he was terrible

Neil did get to go out with an absolute bang though.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
This is hyperbole. You can acknowledge Smith as a player without resorting to that (we're all guilty around here though).

Prior to playing on the wing with Stone his career in goals was 14, points was 26. He'd been a positive player once in his entire career. None of that screams "one of the best" anything in the league. He was a valuable piece for a few years, but I'm not even sure you can argue he was ever the best 3rd line player on the Sens, let alone the whole league :laugh:

I live for the hyperbole.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Lol what?

Smith to me was always better as a winger. If we weren’t so pricey I think people would be fine with him as a banging 4th liner. Expense changes perception of every player, regardless of output.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
You can thank me eating a pita for the win by the way folks

upload_2019-12-5_12-42-59.jpeg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We can still trade our veteran forwards and not have to fill a roster full of inexperienced players.

If we decide to trade Tierney, Pageau, etc - we can get back NHL bodies as throw ins from other teams. Similar to how we got Duclair back in the Dzingel trade, Lindberg back from Vegas, and how we acquired Gibbons for a tweener in Sieloff.

We won't trade players like Ennis, because he has little value at the deadline. Nobody is giving up anything for a small bottom 6 scorer whose stats are pumped up by playing on a team with low depth. Boedker has no value either and will only get moved if it is needed as a way to even out cash in a bigger trade.

Defense might be a bit trickier. We have three UFAs. Those spots are harder to fill. We should at least move the most valuable unsigned defender out of Boro/Demelo/Hainsey.

I just see some lineups being floated around and virtually all of our youth are in them.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Didn't we have a recent game where all of the bounces went against us?

Things level out.

But yes, it's a funny comment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It was funny to hear Chris Stevenson & Lloydy talking about Nick Paul on the radio earlier today where they said he was a man among boys in the AHL earlier this yr & was dominating down there. They even went so far as saying last yr he drove the line with L. Brown & Batherson which made me laugh & think about all the people who had written him off & still are. It's also funny to me that while most including myself have called him a 4th liner & he is playing on one of the top two lines in Ottawa this yr & 10th in scoring on this team so far. Who would have guessed that?

IMO Paul has a future on this team but it will be in a role which suits his strengths which to me are faceoffs & good defensive play against other team's better players. I think he will continue to chip in occasionally offensively but his main goal will be to break up plays, win puck battles, screen goalies & cycle the puck down low to maintain possession time. If they do place him on an offensive line it will most likely be to be the defensive conscience of that line, if he were to play with Logan Brown & Duclair for example, he needs to hang back a little to help stop any breakouts or get back quickly.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Funny that this is the preferable mindset to some fans who continue to be unable to give credit where credit is due. Looks bad on them in my opinion. It looks to me like Sens fans who can’t help but enjoy the team they’re watching, but also trying really hard to continue to hate the organization for reasons.

Such a treat of a game to watch. I paused the game after the first 15 minutes so that I didn’t put my wife through another hour of us being chased out of the rink. I came back later in the evening alone to finish out my duty as a fan (lol). Turns out everything changed from that moment on and we thoroughly beat them top to bottom on out.

What a late night treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad