Isn't it ironic that..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

creative giant*

Other Dave said:
Not sure why you think this but I'm certain you have no way of proving it.

You're right, I have no way of proving it. But, using an educated guess I can assume that the owners have non-NHL businesses that allowed them to make the money they needed to purchase a NHL team in the first place. And I'm also assuming that they are still involved in non-NHL businesses that puts money in their bank accounts.

That doesn't make their stance the right one, or something that fans should support a priori.

Where did I say that? My only point is that NHL owners have other sources of income, the players rely on an NHL paycheck (for the most part, some have other businesses and endorsments deals etc..) therefore the owners aren't as hard up for cash as the players are.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Other Dave said:
Not sure why you think this but I'm certain you have no way of proving it.

What? Do you think the owners all became rich by hitting the lotto? They have other ventures, successful ones, and make a ton of money every year. Tom Golisano makes millions from the company he started, Paychex, and he'll actually save money if they dont play. The Sabres lose millions of dollars every year. Golisano is a billionaire who makes millions annually for something he founded years ago. Explain to me why he's in a worse position than the NHLer who's used to a millionaire lifestyle who's now getting $10,000 a month?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Other Dave said:
Except from a "might means right" perspective, how is this possibly relevant?

You asked how much owners have made.

You obviously aren't interested in researching yourself or you'd be able to find what other companies NHL owners own and how well those companies did.

Here's the Flames owners for examples, pretty sure they've made quite a lot of personal money in the past year. Most are heavily involved with the oil and gas business which is currently doing very well in Alberta. I'd imagine the money they make just on personal investments dwarfs what any NHLer is making this year.

http://www.calgaryflames.com/team/owners.html

creative giant*

Other Dave said:
Except from a "might means right" perspective, how is this possibly relevant?

Because you asked "How much money have the owners made this season?". Did you forget asking that already?

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
shekki said:
Because you asked "How much money have the owners made this season?".

Silly me for failing to take into account that a question posed on a HOCKEY message board would be deliberately misinterpreted.

Let's say the owners are making a lot of money from non-hockey related businesses. Except for the fact that it allows them to throw their weight around to the detriment of the fans, how is it relevant to CBA discussions?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Other Dave said:
Let's say the owners are making a lot of money from non-hockey related businesses. Except for the fact that it allows them to throw their weight around to the detriment of the fans, how is it relevant to CBA discussions?

Well quite obviously it creates more and more pressure on the NHL players as time goes on. And quite obviously this same pressure does not exist for most owners because of their alternate income. Most if not all are set for life regardless of whether their NHL team went bankrupt or not.

Seems to be a VERY big deal in terms of CBA discussions. It has a direct effect on pressure points, how long the owners can keep the lockout going, whether they are bluffing, etc.

It's more obvious than whether actors are getting paid to "pretend" apparently...

creative giant*

Other Dave said:
Silly me for failing to take into account that a question posed on a HOCKEY message board would be deliberately misinterpreted.

How has it been deliberately misinterpreted? You asked a question and people answered it.

Because they still have money coming in from other businesses, the players do not. Who do you think has more pressure to start playing hockey again?

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Other Dave said:

You're joking right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad