Isn't it ironic that..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

DR said:
i never said they were losing less .. in fact they will lose in one season what the owners lost in 10.

however, im saying as of today, the players have lost most of what they are going to lose. cancelling the season only adds up to another 300 or so million, but they have already lost 1billion. the next set of pain will be on the owners behalf.

dr

Any "pain" inflicted by the PA just hits themselves in the end, no matter what the final contract looks like.

The NHL has, until this point, been professional and kept this just about money. If the PA pisses away a year expect an entirely different tone next year.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DR said:
the players have already lost 1 billion dollars, which means they have lost most of what they have to lose. by not capitulating, its not going to cost them much at this stage. however, its transfers the pain to the owners.

1) owners pay back all season ticket money
2) owners cant sell new season tickets for next year
3) sponsers take their business elsewhere
4) another year of not meeting lease and broadcast commitments
5) sydney crosby

the players are probably counting on the owners folding at the last minute when they realize the players are just as willing to play "scorched earth negotiating".

can the owners afford to take that chance ?

dr

Oh there's a good bargaining techinque. Just try and screw the otherside... well, just because. Never mind you're crapping in your bed out of spite because Mom asked you to make it.

I'm sure if these cash monkies can find a way to actually sign a deal, there will be extra income from the playoffs to share. So there will be no skating and playing for "free". Perish the thought.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
Any "pain" inflicted by the PA just hits themselves in the end, no matter what the final contract looks like.

The NHL has, until this point, been professional and kept this just about money. If the PA pisses away a year expect an entirely different tone next year.
you might be right, but what options does the NHL have if the player refuse to capitulate ?

its been well documented that while impasse might be probable, the immigration difficulties will make it tough to field replacements.

dr

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
If they are lucky maybe one of these animals in the UHL will carve one of their eye's out. They are FRAUDS !!!

Jeeze punchy, what's with all the eye carving comments? That's kind of, uh... unhealthy to say the least.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
quat said:
Jeeze punchy, what's with all the eye carving comments? That's kind of, uh... unhealthy to say the least.

Ya think ? It's the way the game is policed by the participants. Unhealthy...perhaps but unfortunately thats the way it is. Punchy ? nice comeback. When you step on the ice the laws of the game are in effect and you are an open target.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
Ya think ? It's the way the game is policed by the participants. Unhealthy...perhaps but unfortunately thats the way it is. Punchy ? nice comeback. When you step on the ice the laws of the game are in effect and you are an open target.

heh heh heh... I guess I haven't seen all those eye-balls on the ice that you have, thus my contention that I think you are over dramatizing what being an "open target" is.

I used Punchy cause of you're sort of not so cute avatar... no offence intended.
The eye-ball carving thing reminded me of Jerzy Koziniskys book, the painted bird. But the farmer in that story used a spoon.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
These guys going there to play may be for game shape and such, but as Kevin Kerr points out, they are taking away jobs and more important livelyhood from the players in that league.

It is like Bill gates coming and programming at a little computer firm for 45K a year, just so he can "keep his programming skills sharp"

Give me a break!?!?!

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I feel no sympathy for these players. The players in the UHL are 'taking jobs' away from people that could make the league if they were not in it. Its the nature of the business. The players are in competition. Its not like the NHL players are doing this out of spite, they want to keep playing and thats their right. Just like its the right of the UHL players to stop playing if they wish (after their contracts are over obviously).

Stop being such drama queens.

jacketracket*

DR said:
the players have already lost 1 billion dollars, which means they have lost most of what they have to lose. by not capitulating, its not going to cost them much at this stage. however, its transfers the pain to the owners.

1) owners pay back all season ticket money
2) owners cant sell new season tickets for next year
3) sponsers take their business elsewhere
4) another year of not meeting lease and broadcast commitments
5) sydney crosby

the players are probably counting on the owners folding at the last minute when they realize the players are just as willing to play "scorched earth negotiating".

can the owners afford to take that chance ?

dr
Agreed (and I'm shocked to be saying it).

Having lost the biggest part of what they stood to lose on the season, I wonder if the players will be as willing to come to some sort of agreement in order to save part of the season, only to see the owners receive playoff revenues.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Jobu said:
Anyone who thinks the players are losing less from this lockout than the owners needs to be put to sleep.

lol.

About all I can do.

The owners will go on to make billions with or without the NHL.

The players won't make millions without it.

That about sums it up.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
DR said:
you might be right, but what options does the NHL have if the player refuse to capitulate ?

its been well documented that while impasse might be probable, the immigration difficulties will make it tough to field replacements.

dr
Impasse? The owners don't need an impasse. They'll wait until the "rank and file" are on their knees.

myrocketsgotcracked

Brewleaguer said:
Willing to play for peanuts OR for the love of the game and to keep in shape?
still, if they are willing to "play for the love of the game" for $200/game, cant they "play for the love of the game" for $1M? to keep in shape? what for, its pretty clear to me that both sides wont budge from their position in the foreseeable future, so no cba and no nhl this season. if they really just play to keep in shape, then i fully expect all of them to quit playing (in uhl, or europe) after the announcement of the cancellation of the season.

Hockey_Nut99

Common guys don't you see. The players in the leagues like the UHL are just "staying in shape and conditioning"....

They can't afford to rent an arena for a while and they probably can't afford a good gym at home, or a gym pass. It's too hard for them to get together at a rink and play. What a bunch of IDIOTS!!

We all hate the PA becasue of their greed for one, but it's their hypocritical philosophy. These idiots keep preaching this no cap stance, yet they go play somewhere where there is a cap. It doesn't matter that they want to stay in game shape incase there is a season. I understand that part. It just ruins any fan support they can get. If you hate a cap that much, then you shouldn't play in a place that supports a cap.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
thedjpd said:
The owners will go on to make billions with or without the NHL.

The players won't make millions without it.

That about sums it up.
Yep. That about says it all.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's the point here - players are willing to play in the UHL for $200 week yet snub a cap and an average salary of 1.3 - 1.7 mil in the NHL - for what - out of spite?

Its ludricrous, the players have no ground to stand in my mind when they show they are willing to play for peanuts in other salary capped leagues.

this makes no sense...they're willing to play for peanuts because there is no NHL right now. if the NHL started back up, even with a cap, obviously they'd be back in the NHL playing. it's not like the players are making a career move by going and playing in the UHL for part of a season. even if a new CBA isn't resolved any time soon, these guys aren't gonna decide to make the UHL their new career

if they were like "yeah i won't accept a cap in the NHL so i'm quitting it and going to play in the UHL for $500 a week" then you would have a valid point.

as it is, all you have is FUD

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I feel no sympathy for these players. The players in the UHL are 'taking jobs' away from people that could make the league if they were not in it. Its the nature of the business. The players are in competition. Its not like the NHL players are doing this out of spite, they want to keep playing and thats their right. Just like its the right of the UHL players to stop playing if they wish (after their contracts are over obviously).

they can do whatever they want, in the same sense that everyone is entitled to think they are a bunch of dicks for doing it.

Stop being such drama queens

Priceless coming from you! The biggest drama queen at Hockey's Future. too funny.

Titanium

Oct 20, 2003
Nottinghamshire, Eng
Visit site
Levitate said:
this makes no sense...they're willing to play for peanuts because there is no NHL right now. if the NHL started back up, even with a cap, obviously they'd be back in the NHL playing. it's not like the players are making a career move by going and playing in the UHL for part of a season. even if a new CBA isn't resolved any time soon, these guys aren't gonna decide to make the UHL their new career

if they were like "yeah i won't accept a cap in the NHL so i'm quitting it and going to play in the UHL for $500 a week" then you would have a valid point.

as it is, all you have is FUD

I think the point was more that all they seem to care about is money, else they'd accept a cap! If money's important, surely playing in the UHL for peanuts ranks below accepting a cap and making millions?

Basically:
Money's important -> Pecking order [NHL (no cap) then NHL (cap) then UHL (peanuts)] based on the amount of money they would get

OTHERWISE

Money's not important -> ACCEPT A CAP!

It looks like a perfectly good argument from Top Shelf, personally!

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Other Dave said:
How much have the owners made this season? How much are their franchises worth now?

How much have the players made this season? With the NHL headed for an impasse or complete re-tooling, how much are their contracts worth now?

Brent Burns Beard