GDT: Isn’t there a game tonight? @7:30?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, particularly in the main forums, but Kane has tremendous talent. Couture's game winning goal was overshadowed by Kane's effort in the game winning assists. If he continues to maintain focus, and don't get distracted, he could be elite in this league.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'd say forward Burns or pre-injuries Michalek were similar-ish.
Was Michalek ever that physical?
The Sharks are 15th in the league in PP opportunities.
This is meaningless...
I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, particularly in the main forums, but Kane has tremendous talent. Couture's game winning goal was overshadowed by Kane's effort in the game winning assists. If he continues to maintain focus, and don't get distracted, he could be elite in this league.

Kane is elite in this league.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The terrible officiating in the last 2 games are fresh on people's mind though

There is also no context in that stat. Like when the PP's are called and are not called. Should we be 2nd or 5th etc.. in that stat?

This is meaningless...

It doesn’t really need context when it’s a fact that comes in direct response to somebody trying to play the victim and purporting some ridiculous conspiracy that the refs are out to get us because they made a mistake in last year’s playoffs, and when it pretty much single-handedly dispels that narrative.

This team has the puck in high danger areas significantly less frequently than the average team so I don’t really see why we should be higher than middle of the pack in PPs drawn.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
It doesn’t really need context when it’s a fact that comes in direct response to somebody trying to play the victim and purporting some ridiculous conspiracy that the refs are out to get us because they made a mistake in last year’s playoffs, and when it pretty much single-handedly dispels that narrative.

This team has the puck in high danger areas significantly less frequently than the average team so I don’t really see why we should be higher than middle of the pack in PPs drawn.
I agree with you as far as the whole season goes. But idk how you could watch the last Sharks Vegas game and say there wasnt a clear bias.

Different sport, but listen to the Tim Donaghy interview on PMT and tell me officials dont call certain games with a bias or agenda. Again I dont think it's a season long thing, but same crew, same teams, their building, there was a clear and obvious bias for the Knights in that game.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Phu

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I agree with you as far as the whole season goes. But idk how you could watch the last Sharks Vegas game and say there wasnt a clear bias.

Different sport, but listen to the Tim Donaghy interview on PMT and tell me officials dont call certain games with a bias or agenda. Again I dont think it's a season long thing, but same crew, same teams, their building, there was a clear and obvious bias for the Knights in that game.

Refs are humans after all. There's a reason I always say I can't wait for them to be replaced by robots.

Reactions: LA Shark

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Also invalid unless you are making the case that position on the ice determines whether a play is a penalty or not. we take plenty of penalties outside of high danger zones. far more often than not, because we don't get that mad about a penalty taken in a high danger zone. and we get mad about a lot of ticky tack bullshit called against us.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also invalid unless you are making the case that position on the ice determines whether a play is a penalty or not. we take plenty of penalties outside of high danger zones. far more often than not, because we don't get that mad about a penalty taken in a high danger zone. and we get mad about a lot of ticky tack bull**** called against us.

Having the puck more often in high danger areas is how you draw more penalties. When you get caved in at 5-on-5, you’re not likely to have a good penalty differential.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Can anyone actually say that the Sharks didn’t deserve any one of those calls last night? There wasn’t a single penalty where I was swearing at the refs instead of the Shark who got the call. All of the penalties called on the Sharks were deserved. Truly an atrocious display of lazy sticks.
I agree with this. I do think they let the Isles get away with some stuff, but the Sharks deserved every penalty they got. Also the refs made the right call on the challenge. My gripe is with the officiating in the Vegas game.

Reactions: Erep

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Refs are like the master blenders for any league. They try to ensure a consistent product. At least with WWE, it's a not-so-secret that they are part of the show.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Dunno bout you guys, but this game led me to being really confident in the Vlasic-Karlsson pairing defensively. Might just be because of how solid they were on the PK but I wasn't worried about them making huge miscues on the defense.

Reactions: Phu

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Can anyone actually say that the Sharks didn’t deserve any one of those calls last night? There wasn’t a single penalty where I was swearing at the refs instead of the Shark who got the call. All of the penalties called on the Sharks were deserved. Truly an atrocious display of lazy sticks.
I don't think it was as bad as people are saying here either, they were very obvious penalties. There was a time in the game where the fans were screaming for a too many men call on the Isles and Randy commented and even affirmed their view a bit but it was clearly not a too many men penalty and the refs made a good no call.

Reactions: Erep

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't think it was as bad as people are saying here either, they were very obvious penalties. There was a time in the game where the fans were screaming for a too many men call on the Isles and Randy commented and even affirmed their view a bit but it was clearly not a too many men penalty and the refs made a good no call.
It's just the 6 PKs in a row. That kind of variance is pretty uncommon since most times, the other team gets a call against them before that happens.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'd say forward Burns or pre-injuries Michalek were similar-ish.
Michalek was big, fast and had good hands. that's where the similarities end. Milan had a shot more like Marleau's. Great at picking upper corners. Kane seems less accurate and more of a power shooter. Meier seems like he might have a similar style with the puck. Electrifying moves with goal scorers goals. Meier is way more physical though.

Was Michalek ever that physical?

Soft as butter. Made Marleau look like Eric Lindros. Really exciting in the year Torres knocked him into the next dimension but really never was the same after that. Actually probably was the Morrow hit the next season that ended him. I had such high hope for the Sharks up and coming players at that point. They had Bernier and Michalek on Patty's wings and they seemed unstoppable as a 2nd line while Jumbo and Cheech drew the better defensemen and forwards. That was a year that they may have made the final and won if Michalek hadn't been injured. That one hit from Torres changed the entire series. The articles in the newspaper after the Sharks went up 2-0 were talking about how the Sharks looked like a bully beating up the Oilers. It was one of the most dramatic shifts in a series as far as play style I've ever seen other than the reverse sweep.

Speaking of those hits that he took... no one fought either of the hitter after that that I remember. Torres and Morrow should have both faced instant retribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu and Sandisfan

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Soft as butter. Made Marleau look like Eric Lindros. Really exciting in the year Torres knocked him into the next dimension but really never was the same after that. Actually probably was the Morrow hit the next season that ended him. I had such high hope for the Sharks up and coming players at that point. They had Bernier and Michalek on Patty's wings and they seemed unstoppable as a 2nd line while Jumbo and Cheech drew the better defensemen and forwards. That was a year that they may have made the final and won if Michalek hadn't been injured. That one hit from Torres changed the entire series. The articles in the newspaper after the Sharks went up 2-0 were talking about how the Sharks looked like a bully beating up the Oilers. It was one of the most dramatic shifts in a series as far as play style I've ever seen other than the reverse sweep.

Bernier looked like he was gonna be something with his one-hand power move to the net. But he ended up being nothing.
I think Meier is what we wished Bernier would have been; he does the one-hand move and scores lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad