Isles' Wang investing for ice hockey in China

NassauIsles82*

Wang loves his big plans, that's for sure. I gotta give it to him for trying to be a trend-setter and not fearing to try anything new or out of the ordinary. When you become that rich, your mind craves to do out of the ordinary stuff, hopefully he makes it work.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
About time someone involved with the NHL started a project like this.

Hockey has things going against it, mainly associated with its cost that other sports simply do not have to face (hockey, basketball). It needs more grassroots help than other sports to grow.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Well China has plenty of cold weather areas, a general comitment to sport and with a billion and a half people there has to be some naturals in the sport there.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
when will these guys just understand that Hockey is a niche sport and that it will be moderatly successful at best when you take it out of its enviroment.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
What is with all of the hate for hockey in China? Parts of China have temperate climate and if the guy wants to help build the game in a relitively untapped market then good for him.

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
Anyway, I'm sure the Isles fans would prefer that Wang mess up with the "Shanguay Dragons" than the "New York Islanders"...

Maybe its the start of Snow's brilliant career:

Snow:" I love the way you think Charles. Someone with your genius and insight into the game could even sell hockey in China!"

Wang: "China?"

Snow: "Yes, imagine if someone as savvy as you would start a franchise in China. 1.3 billion people Charles! You could build an empire!"

Wang: "Yes... but I am presently commited with the Islanders... all the plans I made..."

Snow: "Don't worry Charles! *cough* *cough* I'll hold the fort!"

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
Well China has plenty of cold weather areas, a general comitment to sport and with a billion and a half people there has to be some naturals in the sport there.

Lots of kids down the street from where I live play roller hockey, and the skate shop across the street has a wall full of pictures of some of the kids playing ice hockey (Guess Kaohsiung has an ice rink somewhere).

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
This guy is about to spend MORE money promoting hockey in a country that doesnt know what a puck is but he cant give one of our best prospects a couple hundred thousand more to NOT go to Russia. Oh man it sucks to be an isles fan. To all you fans of the other 29 teams... thank your lucky stars and embrace your teams. I envy you. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :banghead: :banghead:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
What is with all of the hate for hockey in China? Parts of China have temperate climate and if the guy wants to help build the game in a relitively untapped market then good for him.

Because it is a pipe dream, a crack pipe dream at that.

Bobby Orr

Thanks for the link.

Taiwan has nearly as many registered players as the commies.

C'mon Wang, invest in Taiwan!

Some of the stats are interesting...

- Russia has only 77K players, less than the Czech Rep.
- Japan has the 9th most registered players in the world, not far behind Switzerland
- France has the 10th most, almost double that of Slovakia.
- The US has more than Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Rep. combined

Give it another 100 years, and maybe China will be battling Japan for the gold in hockey. And Wang and Milbury will be emblazened in the Chinese hockey hall of fame as the fathers of Chinese hockey!

Fugu

This would make Dave Bidini proud.

I remember when everyone laughed about 20 years ago when China first started sending over figure skaters, divers, and others in sports where they traditionally had no participation. At this year's Olympic games in figure skating, the Chinese had a phenomenal showing-- NBC even dug out clips of those first few souls who paved the way. They said all they had was video clips to watch and from which to learn.

Think about it. 1.3 billion people. The upside is huge, and you only have to garner a 1% interest to still get some big, BIG numbers. That's the 'mystique' of China.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
In related news "NY Islanders are moving to China's elite league"

Skroob*

i forsee a language issue here. People wont be able to tell if they are talking about the playing surface, or a bowl of food.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I see it going down like one of those corny movies that portrays Chinese immigrants. Like that one character in Major League II that goes through the wall and stuff.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
This would make Dave Bidini proud.
Yeah, I thought of that too. :)

I remember when everyone laughed about 20 years ago when China first started sending over figure skaters, divers, and others in sports where they traditionally had no participation. At this year's Olympic games in figure skating, the Chinese had a phenomenal showing-- NBC even dug out clips of those first few souls who paved the way. They said all they had was video clips to watch and from which to learn.
That's the truth. I remember seeing some clips of their skaters years ago in a "this is who came in last" segment or something. Now their skaters and divers are among the best. China seems to have the resources to find and groom their best sports talent, there are bound to be some kids who are suited to hockey.

Think about it. 1.3 billion people. The upside is huge, and you only have to garner a 1% interest to still get some big, BIG numbers. That's the 'mystique' of China.
Exactly. I don't understand why people are laughing about this, this idea has some very interesting potential if nothing else. Quit being such hockey snobs. Go read Bidini's book, maybe that'll open your eyes a little bit. :p:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If anything China ressembles the Soviet Sports machine and if dedicated to creating a hockey program could do quite well.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
-LOL @ Hockey in China. Good luck with that.
-when will these guys just understand that Hockey is a niche sport and that it will be moderatly successful at best when you take it out of its enviroment.
-Because it is a pipe dream, a crack pipe dream at that.
-I see it going down like one of those corny movies that portrays Chinese immigrants. Like that one character in Major League II that goes through the wall and stuff.

What is so funny about it? Sure it will be not be an easy task, but in some countries where there was a direct attempt to help build the sport, there has been success. One story I remember reading is at one point Finland and Norway were roughly equal in Hockey talent, however Finland took a 'build as many arenas as possible" policy, where Norway didn't. The difference in talent level now is obvious, as Finland has had fantastic showings at the past two major international competitions and Norway is still struggling to stay in the yearly World Championships.

Now as for whether or not China has the right environment, I'd suggest you look at an atlas. Qiqihar and Harbin in China's North, where the sport is fairly popular, the climate is perfect for hockey. The Winters are very cold, rivers/lakes freeze, and seeing kids playing hockey outside on frozen surfaces is a fairly common sight. One report I remember reading even said Hockey is the #1 sport in Qiqihar region, which has a population of 5.6 million. Harbin region has a population of 10 million and Hockey is also popular there as well.
There is definatly a passion for the sport, but the cost of it is too much for many in China's North to afford.

I'm willing to bet 10-15 years from now there is at least one China Chinese player either drafted, or playing in the NHL.

If anything China ressembles the Soviet Sports machine and if dedicated to creating a hockey program could do quite well.

Agreed, and the Chinese work ethic only makes it even more likely that it could be successful. Just look at their Olympic prospect athletes, they leave home at a very young age, go years without seeing their parents, train almost the entire day..
The amount of determination is mindboggling.

Last edited:

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Maybe before we work on developing hockey in China, we could instead focus on the USA.

The number of registered hockey players in the USA is second only to Canada. There are many, many programs already attempting to grow the game of hockey in the United States.. it doesn't need nearly as much help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->