Isles toll Nabakov

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...will-toll-evgeni-nabokov-s-contract-1.2833379

The Islanders will “toll” the contract of Russian goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, Newsday has learned.

The team has the option to “toll” Nabokov’s one-year $570,000 contract, essentially extending it until next season, because the 35-year-old veteran refused to report when claimed on re-entry waivers by the Islanders back in January.

Not unexpected, I guess, but sure to piss off Nabakov.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
It wouldn't surprise if this was just a forerunner of controlling the contract until draft and/or after July 1st-wouldn't surprise me if Snow turned it into a different asset, be it a body or a draft pick via trade.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I am not sure what Nabakov was thinking on this one, bad advice? He took a gamble & lost. Why not show up in LI play it out, try again next year?

Feb 12, 2003
Smart move by Garth Snow, once the season is over then Nabby can be traded for something, anything. Nabby is probably worth more at that point because a team will have him for a full season, although he could sit out the season if he didn't like where he was traded to. No lose deal for Snow.

Skipee

Mar 27, 2010
This is pretty funny and he could've been playing for the Red Wings and had a real good shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

:laugh:

He got owned.

No he couldn't have, some other team would have claimed him without a doubt. Good on Snow showing that he has some giant balls.

The Fuhr*

He has a NMC clause too... I'd go to Islanders camp and bomb... then use the NMC so they would be stuck with me

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Let the longstanding tradition of inept management in New York continue.

Wat? :laugh:

I don't see any market demand for Nabokov. The further the Sharks go, the more they prove he isn't a playoff goalie.

Dado

This is a dreadful way to take advantage of a CBA quirk to screw over a player who long since paid his dues.

A contemptuous act by a classless organization.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Because they needed a goalie badly when he was on waivers. It's still a buisness and if you don't give your fanbase any hope they aren't showing up even to watch a bad team. It's not a quirk in the CBA it's so players don't get paid in Russia then cherry pick a team or have a team and player agree before hand to sign a cheap contract but get paid in Europe as a form of cap circumvention

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6411652&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines
In order to keep the former San Jose Shark active, the Islanders gave Nabokov permission to play for Russia in this year's world championships. However, a source told Newsday that the team did so only with Nabokov's written assurance that he would not file a grievance with the NHLPA over the extension of the contract.

If that's the case then we're probably not going to hear an arbitrator decide whether the Yashin ruling is precedent for tolling contracts or not.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They did it to trade him. The Islanders already have 3 goalies for next year.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
This is a dreadful way to take advantage of a CBA quirk to screw over a player who long since paid his dues.

A contemptuous act by a classless organization.

It may be a CBA quirk, Dado, but one he was more than aware of. In the 30 days leading up to his attempt to re-enter the NHL, he and his agent had witnessed two players trying to jump from Europe to the NHL only to be snapped on the waiver wire by other teams. The Islanders at the time were facing a situation where their number 1 goalie was injured and only had 2 AHL rookies to lean on in net. They felt they would improve their team by taking the veteran goal tender.

In any Union situation you are protected by the CBA, but must also follow the rules that may seem of more consequence to you. It was Nabakov's decision to play in Russia, and his decision to take his chances in signing with Detroit.

For the record, I do not like the rule. I equally dislike a player that feels he is above the rule.

Pitlick*

Ironic that the Isles toll a player (Nabokov) when they were the team that traded for Yashin, a year after the Sens were the first team to toll a contract (Yashin rule).

I guess they'll trade him. Maybe to Philly? Nabby at $570,000 is a valuable commodity. 3rd or 4th round pick?

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Ironic that the Isles toll a player (Nabokov) when they were the team that traded for Yashin, a year after the Sens were the first team to toll a contract (Yashin rule).

I guess they'll trade him. Maybe to Philly? Nabby at $570,000 is a valuable commodity. 3rd or 4th round pick?

I don't think Snow is stupid enough to trade him within the Atlantic.

Pitlick*

They could really punish Nabokov and trade him to Winnipeg, who will need a goalie. :naughty:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
It's not a quirk in the CBA it's so players don't get paid in Russia then cherry pick a team or have a team and player agree before hand to sign a cheap contract but get paid in Europe as a form of cap circumvention

Alternate interpretation: It's an uncompetitive attempt to dictate where legitimate free agents can play without their consent and the Islanders are now trying to screw a guy over for daring to say he won't play for a team he never signed a contract with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad