Isles Team Marketing Efforts

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Does anyone know if the Isles spend any money at all promoting the team in the community or online or really on any medium at all?

I got off the train yesterday at 14th street union square, and the Rangers have guys handing out calendars, magnets etc, marketing the team in the area. Let's be honest, hockey isn't the most popular sport in this market so it's a great strategy to not only get more ***** in the seats, but to get more people to watch the games and have overall awareness of the team.

Do the Isles do anything like this at all? It would be nice to see some type of effort coming out of that front office, esp with the brooklyn move coming up

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
There's still a full year before the team officially plays a game in Brooklyn. I'm sure we'll see a bigger advertising presence in NYC stating in 2015.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Standing outside the Garden handing out flyers is a lot different than standing outside the Coliseum handing out flyers.

The Islanders advertise in the newspaper(s), and a few other places...they also run a few programs that involve kids and whatnot (I'm sure every team does this). Just recently they went to the rink I grew up playing at with a big inflatable shooting thing, that dumb dragon, and an ice girl.

BroadwayJay*

Standing outside the Garden handing out flyers is a lot different than standing outside the Coliseum handing out flyers.

The Islanders advertise in the newspaper(s), and a few other places...they also run a few programs that involve kids and whatnot (I'm sure every team does this). Just recently they went to the rink I grew up playing at with a big inflatable shooting thing, that dumb dragon, and an ice girl.

I do a program to try and teach city kids about hockey. It is sponsored by the Rangers and they have all these old stupid banners up with people like Chris Drury on them.

When I told the kids once that I was an Islander fan and my favorite player was Kyle Okposo and I showed them his picture they were very interested. I was trying to figure out a way to contact the Islanders about maybe donating some stuff to the program, possibly with some Okposo banners so the kids would see there are hockey players who look more like them than like me. A lot of them mistakenly think hockey is not a game for people of color. It makes me very sad to see that.

I told them about PK Subban, Jarome Iginla, and others; but I firmly believed that seeing a guy like Kyle Okposo's picture, who will be playing in Brooklyn next year, would really amp the kids up about hockey. The rec center thought it was a great idea.

Anyway, to make a long story only a little bit longer, I sent some emails to a general email with the Islanders but I never got a response. Too bad because they could really connect to an untapped community within the city that has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the Rangers.

Too bad, really. Sucks for the kids and sucks for me. The whole time felt like a huge failure because very few of them came away with much interest in hockey.

They loved me though and were thoroughly impressed my stickhandling (which isn't very good). :D

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
I see Islanders ads on buses in Nassau county all the time.

They also have ads all over the LIRR and certain subway lines. They do a lot of meet and greets with players at various locations across the island for signings and whatnot. I know they go to adventure land regularly. A bunch of the players also buy tickets for members of the community every night as their "special guests" I know they usually have the military guys and a few players have little niche give aways. Bailey and Martin come to mind but I think there's others. They also have the discounted tickets for students(at Hofstra at least. Don't know about other schools).

Edit: they also partner with a bunch of companies to sell discounted tickets to their clients. I can get tickets at a discount from both my job and my bank and I'm fairly certain they have a partnership with Newsday, long islands biggest paper, to advertise the team and have giveaways and whatnot. They also have a partnership with Moe's southwest grill. Like their(Moe's) Facebook page and you can enter their sweepstakes for free tickets throughout the season.

Edit2: these are all examples that have gone on in the past. Not sure if they're ongoing but I believe they are.

Last edited:

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
I do a program to try and teach city kids about hockey. It is sponsored by the Rangers and they have all these old stupid banners up with people like Chris Drury on them.

When I told the kids once that I was an Islander fan and my favorite player was Kyle Okposo and I showed them his picture they were very interested. I was trying to figure out a way to contact the Islanders about maybe donating some stuff to the program, possibly with some Okposo banners so the kids would see there are hockey players who look more like them than like me. A lot of them mistakenly think hockey is not a game for people of color. It makes me very sad to see that.

I told them about PK Subban, Jarome Iginla, and others; but I firmly believed that seeing a guy like Kyle Okposo's picture, who will be playing in Brooklyn next year, would really amp the kids up about hockey. The rec center thought it was a great idea.

Anyway, to make a long story only a little bit longer, I sent some emails to a general email with the Islanders but I never got a response. Too bad because they could really connect to an untapped community within the city that has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the Rangers.

Too bad, really. Sucks for the kids and sucks for me. The whole time felt like a huge failure because very few of them came away with much interest in hockey.

They loved me though and were thoroughly impressed my stickhandling (which isn't very good). :D

That's absolute garbage that they never responded, Wayne Simmonds does stuff for inner city youth in Philly and Hockey is doing very well in lower income areas of the city now, there owner also built rinks. Maybe contact the barclays center, im sure they would love the attention and they can get on the Isles ass to do the rite thing.

My wife teaches 2nd grade in a low income area of BK, there was a picture of a hockey player, she asked what is he doing they all said skating, they had no idea what hockey even was. She spent a few min explaining to them the game and how the islanders are coming to BK and will be playing where the Nets play. She said they got excited cause they all know basketball and the Nets.

BroadwayJay*

That's absolute garbage that they never responded, Wayne Simmonds does stuff for inner city youth in Philly and Hockey is doing very well in lower income areas of the city now, there owner also built rinks. Maybe contact the barclays center, im sure they would love the attention and they can get on the Isles ass to do the rite thing.

My wife teaches 2nd grade in a low income area of BK, there was a picture of a hockey player, she asked what is he doing they all said skating, they had no idea what hockey even was. She spent a few min explaining to them the game and how the islanders are coming to BK and will be playing where the Nets play. She said they got excited cause they all know basketball and the Nets.

Oh these kids are great. I really enjoyed it. I found it frustrating when it was boys, but when I did the all-girls program I really made some progress. The girls really took to it and some of them actually started to improve a bit.

I really had a lot of fun with it and I'll do it again this year, and I will make an overture to the Islanders again.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Jay, I think that's a great idea. If hockey was more accessible to inner city youth, I feel it would grow rapidly. The main issue is of course the cost of playing. Equipment and the actual venue are the major obstacles which doesn't mean they can't be overcome. Another issue is some of the premier youth hockey programs require a great deal of dedication and commitment on the parents part, which is difficult in a single parent home where someone needs to bring home the bacon. Won't get too off topic but I think it would be great if the Isles ran a campaign to increase the popularity of the sport and simultaneously gave back to the community. Just imagine: The Brownsville Sound Tigers

BroadwayJay*

Jay, I think that's a great idea. If hockey was more accessible to inner city youth, I feel it would grow rapidly. The main issue is of course the cost of playing. Equipment and the actual venue are the major obstacles which doesn't mean they can't be overcome. Another issue is some of the premier youth hockey programs require a great deal of dedication and commitment on the parents part, which is difficult in a single parent home where someone needs to bring home the bacon. Won't get too off topic but I think it would be great if the Isles ran a campaign to increase the popularity of the sport and simultaneously gave back to the community. Just imagine: The Brownsville Sound Tigers

It'll be tough getting me out to Brownsville :laugh:

My old neighborhood in Manhattan, where the rec center was, has a street hockey rink. These kids are not likely to learn ice hockey, but they can learn the road version and the kids seemed to really like it and any rec center or outdoor basketball court works for that.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

would anyone here have insight about someone to contact? if this request got circulated around even a little maybe something could get done.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I thought that the phrase "people of color" is not PC?

You might be right. If anyone knows, fill me in and I'll make the edit.

people of color doesn't sound remotely close to being politically correct. i would just say black people.

I'm no expert by any means. I've heard it used, so I use it.

Here is the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color

People of color is fine. It is not used in a derogatory manner.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
unrelated to the tangent we've gone down — isles social media seems a lot more professional this year. there's actual voice in the twitter feed (they just make a rick dipietro joke), instead of it just being a newswire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad