Player Discussion: Derick Brassard 2019-20

crasherino

May 9, 2013
haha you really liked this move? You really thought he would replace Flip? Lol this guy has been horrible.
I think you're rushing to judgment here. I mean.....sure the guy you quoted is a clueless A-hole but give Brassard a bit more time.

Reactions: SteveH124

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Can anyone enlighten me on Brassard, my observation is that he is playing a high energy game and not hesitant to take the body or forecheck... was this always his MO or is this his attempt to mesh into Trotz system?

Despite his effort, the results are not great, once he is behind the opposing teams net in a puck battle or on the forecheck rarely do we maintain possession.

Just seems like a square peg in a round hole, maybe I'm wrong here. He hasn't demonstrated the finesse, deception or anticipation Filpulla did.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Can anyone enlighten me on Brassard, my observation is that he is playing a high energy game and not hesitant to take the body or forecheck... was this always his MO or is this his attempt to mesh into Trotz system?

Despite his effort, the results are not great, once he is behind the opposing teams net in a puck battle or on the forecheck rarely do we maintain possession.

Just seems like a square peg in a round hole, maybe I'm wrong here. He hasn't demonstrated the finesse, deception or anticipation Filpulla did.
every time i think he will win a board battle he doesn’t ... when lou signed him all i remembered was when he was a rag and really good ... def not that player anymore ...lol

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Brassard as a Ranger was a really good offensive player who wasn't terrible defensively. He was also a pretty good skater. It's amazing to think the Rangers were able to trade him for Zibanejad

Reactions: Thrasymachus

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I was lukewarm with the Brassard signing, but remained hopeful that he could find a groove.

He was a 6th overall, that never really panned out anywhere. Looked good on a few teams, but never up to the level that I thought he could achieve. Has all the tools....

If anyone can get him going, I have faith that BT could do it. He seems to really like it here, had lots of good things to say.

I wonder if he struggles with confidence?

Reactions: Rengi

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
I was lukewarm with the Brassard signing, but remained hopeful that he could find a groove.

He was a 6th overall, that never really panned out anywhere. Looked good on a few teams, but never up to the level that I thought he could achieve. Has all the tools....

If anyone can get him going, I have faith that BT could do it. He seems to really like it here, had lots of good things to say.

I wonder if he struggles with confidence?
It certainly looks like his confidence is vulnerable at the moment. He looked actually good in moments in pre-season, but that is always tough to compare with regular-season hockey.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Come on guys. He signed with us late AND he has to learn a new system AND has to build chemistry with players he never played with.

It'll probably take half a season to adjust.

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
Imagine being a GM and having the entire world, including your own coach, telling you that you have to add more offensive talent to your team...and then you go ahead and make derick brassard your biggest offseason addition.

Dude has been washed up for 2 years.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Imagine being a GM and having the entire world, including your own coach, telling you that you have to add more offensive talent to your team...and then you go ahead and make derick brassard your biggest offseason addition.

Imagine all that and the team still has a winning record.

Maybe Lou Lamoriello really does know what he’s doing.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
I think Braasard needs time. He's been bad a few games, but I think he will be a okay 3 center. I dont think he will be fake Frans area good, but he was really good for us and the system of Trotz. I believe Otto will take the 3 line center by the end of the season and Brassard might move into another role, like people are thinking.

Reactions: bronxirish

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I like Filp better so far, but I wouldn’t dole out two years to him.

Brassard doesn’t have half of Filp’s savvy, IQ, finesse, ability to break out. Brassard has a better shot, not much else. But I’ll reserve complete judgement until game 30.

Reactions: Sheva7

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Filpula wanted to retire as a Redwing. He was never coming back here.

Brassard has definitely been underwhelming but it's not like there was a ton of options available. He had (still has) offensive upside if he can get it together. Some of you are posting like we're in February and he's given us nothing. It wasn't long ago that everyone was singing his praises because of a preseason one-timer.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Filpula wanted to retire as a Redwing. He was never coming back here.

Brassard has definitely been underwhelming but it's not like there was a ton of options available. He had (still has) offensive upside if he can get it together. Some of you are posting like we're in February and he's given us nothing. It wasn't long ago that everyone was singing his praises because of a preseason one-timer.
If his play does not improve by February, he will be in the Marty Reasoner/Brian Rolston category of useless islanders

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Lou Lamoriello is literally a hall of fame executive.

Reactions: dood and bronxirish

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me that there are Islanders fans who regularly criticize LL. I mean it’s almost so absurd that I sometimes think it’s satire.
Just pretend Lou didn’t hire Trotz, pretend he was still with the Caps . Tell me what Lou has done roster wise because to me Trotz is the reason they have had success and I don’t need a hockey degree to make him my teams coach if the spot was available

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Just pretend Lou didn’t hire Trotz, pretend he was still with the Caps . Tell me what Lou has done roster wise because to me Trotz is the reason they have had success and I don’t need a hockey degree to make him my teams coach if the spot was available
There is no way in hell Trotz is coming without LL. You know why? Because the Stanley Cup winning head coach realizes that LL is a great executive. He realizes this as does everyone else in hockey. But you go ahead and bury your head in the sand.

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Brassard will be fine. Why do so many people want to define a season and a player in a handful of games? It’s absurd.

Reactions: IslesCLT

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
"Let's pretend that Torrey didn't win 4 cups. See, he sucks!"

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad