Player Discussion: Derick Brassard 2019-20

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if he can also play the wing it gives the team some options to mess around with instead of cementing him in as 3 c . After watching some video on him he might be an option to consider @ Lw with Barzal because he's left handed and could make himself open for his quality wrister via a Barzie pass .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Well that’s the catch, if Brassard is playing with some combination of guys like Bailey/Beauvillier/Dal Colle/Ho-Sang + Hiller’s powerplay, it’s probably a solid signing and would give this team more scoring depth down the lineup.

Chances are he's going to play with some combo of Dal Colle or Kuhnhackl on the left, and Ho-Sang or Komorov on the right at even strength. If he doesn't, that would mean to me that Brock Nelson is failing as 2C, and that's a bigger issue. If Josh Bailey isn't 2RW that's also a problem. Barring an aquisition I see the top-6 as:

Tito-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey

then bottom 6 as:
Dal Colle/Kuhnhackl-Brassard-Ho-Sang/Komorov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck/Komorov

I'm not confident about ES production. PP may be another story. Honestly, I don't know how good he is on the right half boards, which is a position of need.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this. But Brassard's Playoff scoring numbers for a #3C are pretty good.

2013 12GP 12 pts
2014 23GP 12 pts
2015 19GP 16pts
2016 5GP 4pts
2017 19GP 11pts

Overall 99 GP 60 pts. Very respectable for a non top 6 fwd.

why did you feel his playoff stats from 7 seasons ago were relevant enough to post, but not 2018 or 2019.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

That looks worse than it is. 7 teams in 7 years. But the first one (CBJ) he had been with for 6 years, and he just signed with us. So that's really 5 teams in the intervening years. And he was with 3 teams last season.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Well that’s the catch, if Brassard is playing with some combination of guys like Bailey/Beauvillier/Dal Colle/Ho-Sang + Hiller’s powerplay, it’s probably a solid signing and would give this team more scoring depth down the lineup.

If he’s going to be playing with some combination of guys like Fritz/Johnston/Komarov/Kuhnhackl, the signing is will bust and Boyle would have probably have been a better fit.

I want to see Ho-Sang earn a middle six spot playing with Lee and Nelson. Dal Colle would fit well with Brassard and Bailey for a third line that is respectable compared to any third line with Komarov on it. Brassard and Komarov will be a mess and is 2/3rds of a mediocre fourth line, Brassard + Bailey and a younger forward with upside lends me much more optimism and can be a respectable third line.

Lee - Barzal - Ebs
Josh - brock - JHS
MDC - Brassard - Beu
MM - Cizikas - Knuackle / CLutter / Leo

Love it. I want 3 lines that can score. Having leo on the 3rd line makes it a brick hands display of skill.

Reactions: Axel574

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this. But Brassard's Playoff scoring numbers for a #3C are pretty good.

2013 12GP 12 pts
2014 23GP 12 pts
2015 19GP 16pts
2016 5GP 4pts
2017 19GP 11pts

Overall 99 GP 60 pts. Very respectable for a non top 6 fwd.

With respect, the concern isn't about pre-2017 Brassard.

It's 2019 Brassard.

Reactions: IslandersGER

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Brassard will be this years Lehner, buy low with big results

I subscribe to this thinking. All the naysayers go by a glance at the stats.

This is a skilled veteran who is looking to prove he can still play. He is only 31. He has a chip on his shoulder much like the team he is coming to that will be hungry to prove everyone wrong again and a professional coaching staff that knows how to push the right buttons.

This team has a high upside and a lot of folks are writing them off because they didn’t sign that sexy 40 goal 100 point guy or top whatever defenseman.

Watch Brassard improve the power play and score 25 goals and 60 points. It will not be that big a surprise to me. A bigger surprise would be he trends downward. We shall see.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Chances are he's going to play with some combo of Dal Colle or Kuhnhackl on the left, and Ho-Sang or Komorov on the right at even strength. If he doesn't, that would mean to me that Brock Nelson is failing as 2C, and that's a bigger issue. If Josh Bailey isn't 2RW that's also a problem. Barring an aquisition I see the top-6 as:

Tito-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey

then bottom 6 as:
Dal Colle/Kuhnhackl-Brassard-Ho-Sang/Komorov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck/Komorov

I'm not confident about ES production. PP may be another story. Honestly, I don't know how good he is on the right half boards, which is a position of need.

The whole point is that Bailey is a second line player on your third line with skill players. You would be trying to elevate your 3rd line to a “2B” line. Nelson isn’t good enough for them to have an average third line.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I like this move. He’s established a reputation as a respectable player who has underperformed recently, but I see no reason why he can’t bounce back at age 31 under BT. Just wish his FO% was over 50%, but alas.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Let's see....he loses more faceoff s than he wins......and he has absolutely no defensive game.
So let's sign him to play for a coach that preaches "defense first".
Brilliant signing Lou........you senile old bastard.

Reactions: Bird Boys

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Let's see....he loses more faceoff s than he wins......and he has absolutely no defensive game.

Curious where you came up with “no defensive game”? Or are you just making that up?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

So because Brassard isn't a PK guy....he is not able to play defensive hockey?

Makes sense

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The whole point is that Bailey is a second line player on your third line with skill players. You would be trying to elevate your 3rd line to a “2B” line. Nelson isn’t good enough for them to have an average third line.

Bailey makes that 2nd line work. Who else would play 2RW? Surely you're not handing that job to Ho-Sang.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So because Brassard isn't a PK guy....he is not able to play defensive hockey?

Makes sense

I have a feeling he will buy into the Isles system. He spoke to Barry and Lou before the signing. I don't think he would have signed or the Isles would have if he didn't have a commitment to the Isles team first approach,

Reactions: dood

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I agree. You don't go to a Barry Trotz team to pad your own numbers and not play defense.

I also agree. But I don't think he's going to come close to 16 ES goals. And after looking at his PP stats? He had one good PP year with NYR. That said our PP RW's (Bailey, Nelson) have been truly awful at goal scoring.

This signing was necessary, but I still feel that excepting Barzal (whom I expect to improve) this team is offensively inferior to last year's team.

Reactions: mm11

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You don't think that Trotz was on board wit this move?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I also agree. But I don't think he's going to come close to 16 ES goals. And after looking at his PP stats? He had one good PP year with NYR. That said our PP RW's (Bailey, Nelson) have been truly awful at goal scoring.

This signing was necessary, but I still feel that excepting Barzal (whom I expect to improve) this team is offensively inferior to last year's team.

Just looking at highlights of Brassard, he does have a pretty good shot. I know he's struggled lately, but maybe he seems to have a quicker release than Nelson and Bailey, so maybe it'll work out. With the new PP coach maybe we'll see a completely new set up though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would be thrilled with 35-40 pts. On this Isles team, it may not be sexy. Team D overrides individual stats. 35-40 pts for a #3C in this system is as good as 50 pts on a team that focuses more on Offence. I tried to put GA60 into the conversation when the Isles are involved. Not all 35-40 seasons are equal. But on HF boards especially the Main board. Points are everything.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

I agree Bailey and Nelson really hurt the PP on that half wall spot. Hoffman would be ideal but glad big game Brass is a lefty

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I would be thrilled with 35-40 pts. On this Isles team, it may not be sexy. Team D overrides individual stats. 35-40 pts for a #3C in this system is as good as 50 pts on a team that focuses more on Offence. I tried to put GA60 into the conversation when the Isles are involved. Not all 35-40 seasons are equal. But on HF boards especially the Main board. Points are everything.

So that point range with about 10 or on the PP and a FOW 49%?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->