Isles & Season Predictions

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Now that hockey is starting and we pretty much know the moves made by other teams..what would be your predictions league-wide as well as Islanders-specific?

Leafs - Fast good start, but falls off at the end and gets into the second round, but not enough depth will keep them from getting to the third and too many new faces. No time to build chemistry.

Montreal - For some weird reason, they will get 2nd place in their division.

Oilers - Will fail yet again, but Yamamoto will have a good year.

Calgary/Winterpeg won't move the needle at all

Colorado will get to the second round

Dallas - 3rd round

Buffalo - I still can't see them doing anything and will, at best, be a bubble team
Ranjerks - Will give every team in our division headaches, but won't make the playoffs (barely)
Pens - won't make the Playoffs - Their D-core is terrible with no depth.
NJ - Hughes will make a big leap forward
Florida - No fking idea. on paper they have a very good team, but nothing seems to work.

Isles - Sorokin "Calder"? Nah, that's just me being biased. Third line will be Ladd, Pageau Komarov with taxi squad filling in games so the old people don't overstretch themselves. I don't mind. Ladd is not as BADD as people think he is. He may not be a fast skater, but his thinking, reaction timing and shot are still NHL caliber.

League-wide - HUGE amount of injuries this season..mostly because it's massively condensed. We're going to see a lot more youth this season. Barzal will have a career year.

Any teams I missed, I just have no comment on them at this time.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Now that hockey is starting and we pretty much know the moves made by other teams..what would be your predictions league-wide as well as Islanders-specific?

Leafs - Fast good start, but falls off at the end and gets into the second round, but not enough depth will keep them from getting to the third and too many new faces. No time to build chemistry.

Dallas - 3rd round

Buffalo - I still can't see them doing anything and will, at best, be a bubble team
Ranjerks - Will give every team in our division headaches, but won't make the playoffs (barely)
Florida - No fking idea. on paper they have a very good team, but nothing seems to work.

Isles - Sorokin "Calder"? Nah, that's just me being biased. Third line will be Ladd, Pageau Komarov with taxi squad filling in games so the old people don't overstretch themselves. I don't mind. Ladd is not as BADD as people think he is. He may not be a fast skater, but his thinking, reaction timing and shot are still NHL caliber.

League-wide - HUGE amount of injuries this season..mostly because it's massively condensed. We're going to see a lot more youth this season. Barzal will have a career year.

A word about the Maple Leafs. To me their roster now seems like a bunch of disjointed players thrown together because the GM thinks they have a chemistry/leadership problem. What they had all along is a problem with keeping the puck out of their net and I don’t see that changing. You can’t outscore your mistakes in a season where every night is a 4 point game.

I think the Habs finish 1st if Price stays healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKP

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
My prediction is we finish 2nd in the division and lose in the semifinals again to either Tampa, Colorado or Vegas. If we add a top line winger sometime before the deadline I think we make the finals and possibly win the cup.
All of this of course is assuming Barzy signs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My prediction is we finish 2nd in the division and lose in the semifinals again to either Tampa, Colorado or Vegas. If we add a top line winger sometime before the deadline I think we make the finals and possibly win the cup.
All of this of course is assuming Barzy signs.
I think that's a fair take. We probably finish behind the Flyers in the East.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Isles are in the Division of death. No soft touches. Think Buffalo and The other NY team are improved. Almost doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is. Too bad they don't get an easy draw like the Canadian AKA the North Division.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Dallas - 3rd round

Zero chance Ladd plays regularly. His reaction time is slow(it happens as you get old, trust me), he physically cannot do it.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We go 56-0, winning each game 9-1 . . . And sweep all 4 rounds for the Cup.

But a few posters here will claim we would have done better if Ho-Sang played.

The Rangers miss the playoffs again but win the lottery one more time. They trade it to Toronto for Pajama Boy, who sits out until his wife gives her consent. Toronto fans, who marched in protest at their team’s first round exit to Montreal, call for Dubas to be fired and replaced with Brian Burke as GM and Pierre McGuire as Assistant GM.

Lamoriello announces his retirement and is booked for SNL, with guest star Mike Meyers and they spoof Leaf fans with 5 for Fighting as the music guests.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
20/21 National TV schedule

Wednesday night NBCSN
Islanders -0 times
Rags -4 times

Sunday night NBCSN
Islanders -1 ( April 18) Flyers
Rags -1 time

NBC Sunday daytime
Islanders -1 (March 7) Buffalo
Rags - 2 times

thought we went to the conference finals this past season? Must have been mistaken .. It’s ok though , F—- em all, they will have to watch us raise the Cup.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Dont think the Isles have enough depth especially at center, D took a hit, I can see them missing if injuries occur. See Caps / Philly / Boston / Pitt making it,
Rangers / Isles / Buffalo / NJ rounding it out

Reactions: beach

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Dont think the Isles have enough depth especially at center, D took a hit, I can see them missing if injuries occur. See Caps / Philly / Boston / Pitt making it,
Honestly center is our deepest position, our four centers as a group might be top 5 in league assuming Barzal signs(which he will) and our D is six deep. Maybe lack of depth beyond the top six but who knows if Aho can step into league. The third line is going to be interesting who gets to play with Pageau.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Honestly center is our deepest position, our four centers as a group might be top 5 in league assuming Barzal signs(which he will) and our D is six deep. Maybe lack of depth beyond the top six but who knows if Aho can step into league. The third line is going to be interesting who gets to play with Pageau.
I was referring to the fact if injuries happen especially at center we have no one that can step in right away and every point will count

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
agreed, we are strong at C. i might even like to see Pageau in place of Eberle. let Koivula take 3C, and put Eberle at 3RW.

i have no worries with Aho being the 4th LD, but i wonder about Hutton being the 4th RD. seems to be doing well enough in the AHL, but we'll have to see.

need some Wilde thing to take the AHL by storm. maybe put some pressure on Mayfield.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
20/21 National TV schedule

Wednesday night NBCSN
Islanders -0 times
Rags -4 times

Sunday night NBCSN
Islanders -1 ( April 18) Flyers
Rags -1 time

NBC Sunday daytime
Islanders -1 (March 7) Buffalo
Rags - 2 times

thought we went to the conference finals this past season? Must have been mistaken .. It’s ok though , F—- em all, they will have to watch us raise the Cup.
We’re boring. We have no stars. We’re a poverty franchise.

This is what I keep reading online when people talk about the Islanders.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I guess I have mixed emotions. I keep trying not to underestimate a Trotz run team. He's exceeded my expectations every damn season he's coached. So with me trying to bump up optimism to Trotz expectations, I see us in the same exact boat we were last season. Really, we need Mat Barzal to be a consistent and SCORING and playmaking force every shift he's out there for all 59 games. He really needs to become elite this season for us to have a chance at a cup because we have a nice supporting cast, but no other gamebreaker besides Barzal. We are going to have to rely on that blue collar work ethic and the great chemistry this team has built. That's enough to carry you far, but you need more of that to win the top prize. We are inching closer to that "need a Butch Goring" trade to put us over the top.

Reactions: Keyserfrans

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
gonna be interesting. Think Trotz has them going early as usual. The boys will be hungry and Lou will be watching which way the wind blows during the season. We all know a better PP and one more guy that can bury the biscuit can put this team within whispering of talking "cup".

I'm curious if the kid from the QMJHL drafted in 2015 takes his game to "game breaker" level. He showed glimpses this past season during the bubble run and I'm hoping #13 just starts hot and carries the team alittle more. Two young vets now at ages 23-24. Prime time and their team now

LGI.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I guess I have mixed emotions. I keep trying not to underestimate a Trotz run team. He's exceeded my expectations every damn season he's coached. So with me trying to bump up optimism to Trotz expectations, I see us in the same exact boat we were last season. Really, we need Mat Barzal to be a consistent and SCORING and playmaking force every shift he's out there for all 59 games. He really needs to become elite this season for us to have a chance at a cup because we have a nice supporting cast, but no other gamebreaker besides Barzal. We are going to have to rely on that blue collar work ethic and the great chemistry this team has built. That's enough to carry you far, but you need more of that to win the top prize.

We are inching closer to that "need a Butch Goring" trade to put us over the top.

It already happened. The ping pong champion was that trade

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I guess I have mixed emotions. I keep trying not to underestimate a Trotz run team. He's exceeded my expectations every damn season he's coached. So with me trying to bump up optimism to Trotz expectations, I see us in the same exact boat we were last season. Really, we need Mat Barzal to be a consistent and SCORING and playmaking force every shift he's out there for all 59 games. He really needs to become elite this season for us to have a chance at a cup because we have a nice supporting cast, but no other gamebreaker besides Barzal. We are going to have to rely on that blue collar work ethic and the great chemistry this team has built. That's enough to carry you far, but you need more of that to win the top prize. We are inching closer to that "need a Butch Goring" trade to put us over the top.
At 5 on 5 we're a good team.

We simply need to find a way to get more out of our power play. No answers from when Scott Gomez coached it 2 years ago, no answers from it after Scott Gomez left.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I have us top 3 in the division. We have the highest floor IMO. Who had a career year last year? Nelson? Pretty consistent with his previous year. Down the middle I don't know who's better. Caps maybe, I like Eller and obviously the top end talent. But we have strong everything. If we get a breakout year from someone like Beau, we should be number one.

In general:

I think the Caps are in the top 4. Still a good makeup of the team.

Boston I am not as high on, defense is pretty meh. Special teams will take a hit with Chara and Krug gone.

Sabres I am higher on than most. Goaltending just sucks to me, but they have a stronger middle now and added a star in Hall.

Rangers I have them not making. Top end talent is there, I like the right side of their D but left side is so weak. Brendan Smith and Trouba top pairing? Yikes. Center is brutal. Who penalty kills up front for them?

Devils I have them as the division bottom. I think they need everything to go right for them to make it but don't see it. I like Crawford and Blackwood as their goalie tandem but defense is suspect to me. Forwards are incomplete and inexperienced.

Flyers I have them in as a lock with the Caps. I like their depth, not a lot of holes on the team.

Penguins I have borderline with the Sabres and Bruins. Defense just doesn't do it for me. Jarry.. I don't know.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yeah, I see the Isles as 4/5, battling for the last spot until the end.
I also see TOR finishing 5th in the CAN division, missing the playoffs.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Pasternak and Marchand will start the season on IR. they lose Chara and Krug. Halak and Rask in net can be pretty shaky - I’m taking a bold position here - Boston will be fighting for the 4/5 spot.

Caps are old and are hanging on to stay relevant. They add Chara and they have a new coach. Caps win the division, but lose in the first round.

Isles and Flyers are interchangeable here - close battle for 2nd and 3rd. I see good things from Morgan Frost and Carter Hart. Beauvillier shows he can be Marchand 2.0 (a lot less douchey)- Sorokin is the real deal, Dobson takes a big step in his development. Barzal’s star continues to rise. Isles win their first 2 rounds and get to CF again.

Devils - last place. Trade Kyle Palmieri and PK Subban at the deadline.

Pittsburgh and Rangers challenge for the 4th spot, but run out of gas. Rangers lack of C depth and d men the root to their problems... they move Kappo Kakko to C to give them more balance. Eventually, they move a young W at the draft for some help and balance. Pittsburgh tried desperately to reimagine their roster, but they also fall short - blueline depth is brutal and that bottom 6 is also pretty bad.

BUFFALO- is in contention all year and makes the playoffs as the 4th seed over the Bruins. Dahlin takes a huge step, Hall delivers with Eichel, Skinner finds himself again- Staal provides the leadership the team needs - Cozens makes the team. Buffalo goaltending holds on long enough for a deadline deal for Darcy Kuemper. They beat the caps in the first round, but lose to Isles in the second round.

Reactions: Team Cozens

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
*Some of that superior team play and work ethic from the playoffs carries over, which offsets any loss re: Toews (Leddy holds his own taking over). Varly plays more like his playoff self. The lack of scoring and PP atrocity shines once again. Each game will be a dogfight, if NYI plays hard and to their style, they'll be in each match. They play in a challenging division, IMHO. All teams are contenders; NJD are the only pushovers, but they should be better. This will keep NYI's point totals down.

With less depth, tougher competition, and lacking the scoring they need to seal games, they scratch and claw to the 4th spot; do not see another ECF berth. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad