Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I just watched a bunch of Holmstrom highlights and his passing is pretty slick. He's got good vision.

Can't get tired of seeing Wahlstrom in the Ovi spot firing one-timers.
Be prepared to be disappointed as Wahlstrom has only showed glimpses of being a true sniper. If he can be half as good as Ovi that’s a big win.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Be prepared to be disappointed

as Wahlstrom has only showed glimpses of being a true sniper

. If he can be half as good as Ovi that’s a big win

Part 1, not a problem we are islanders fans

part 2, MDC ( Mistake Draft Choice) never even glimpsed once

part 3, half as good as OV . So to date that would be 350 goals and 650 points. He would be 3rd all time goals and 3rd all time assists for us. Yeah it would be bigger than a big win. Not likely when glimpses is part of a
description

LGI

Reactions: buud

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If it weren’t for ping pong ball luck and Fox and Panarin choosing their landing spots, the Rags would be no different than what they’ve been for the last 20 years.

On another note, exactly who were those “highly picked and coveted specs”? I don’t mean to be a downer but it’s been a long time since we’ve had consistent success in the draft.
The rangers face one of the best prospect pools even before the ping pong ball luck. So they wouldn’t be in the same exact spot seeing as how they frequently traded picks in exchange for high tier players.

Secondly, picking in the top ten/five as often as we did, all being ranked around where they were ranked. My point was that even highly regarded specs don’t always work out, so while the Rangers do have their own quality pool, they all may not pan out

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Part 1, not a problem we are islanders fans

part 2, MDC ( Mistake Draft Choice) never even glimpsed once

part 3, half as good as OV . So to date that would be 350 goals and 650 points. He would be 3rd all time goals and 3rd all time assists for us. Yeah it would be bigger than a big win. Not likely when glimpses is part of a
description

LGI
He scores that Ovechkin looking goal and everyone here gets excited. Problem is there has not been any consistency yet. If he can become a 20-25 goal scorer in the nhl I would be happy. Right now I have my doubts he can be that. Yes being an islanders fan and having so many high touted prospects become mediocre is definitely a cause for being pessimistic. I have a lot more faith in Dobson being a top 4 maybe 2 defenseman then Wally being a top 6 forward.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Remember at the time we drafted Holmstrom the organization had a lack of skilled forwards. Holmstrom projected to a higher ceiling than the other players drafted after him assuming he can stay healthy. The Holmstrom pick was to fill a need in the organization at that time. He was a higher risk-higher reward player than Tomasino, who was the safer pick.
That couldn’t be further from the truth as far as ceiling. NOBODY projected him to have a higher ceiling than McMichael, Tomasino, Suzuki and several others. He was a HORRIBLE pick, plain and simple. The next 10-15 picks have done better than him in their leagues since the draft. All have higher ceilings. Unfortunately this will go down as one of the worst picks in the Lamoriello/Isles’s regime. This will wind up like picking Nilsson over Parise, yet Nilsson showed way more than Holmstrom ever had.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That couldn’t be further from the truth as far as ceiling. NOBODY projected him to have a higher ceiling than McMichael, Tomasino, Suzuki and several others. He was a HORRIBLE pick, plain and simple. The next 10-15 picks have done better than him in their leagues since the draft. All have higher ceilings. Unfortunately this will go down as one of the worst picks in the Lamoriello/Isles’s regime. This will wind up like picking Nilsson over Parise, yet Nilsson showed way more than Holmstrom ever had.

@mods:
Can we tag this post to somehow show up, like, everywhere on the boards in say five year's time?

Reactions: scott99 and xECK29x

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Here's a recent Islanders draft breakdown from Dobber's Prospects:
November 31-in-31: New York Islanders

They make a summary statement for each pick.

Ljungkrantz
Projection: A bottom-six grinder who can chip-in offensively.

Jefferies
Projection: If they’re patient, the Isles could eventually have a useful, two-way, middle-six contributor. If he fully realizes his offensive ability, he could be deployed as a points-producer.

Dufour
Bottom line: The Isles could eventually have a power forward fitting their hit-anything mentality who also contributes offensively.

Rajaniemi
Projection: Physical shutdown defender.

Tikkanen
Projection: The Islanders’ deep dive could eventually develop into a real final-round find.

Reactions: buud and xECK29x

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's not true. You're being over-dramatic He was said to be higher ceiling with his skill sets than Tomasino. The knock on Holmstrom was his injury history.

Reactions: buud and xECK29x

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Nilsson also had lineage,althought that doesn't always come through. Everyone thought the pick would be Parise. I mean his dad eliminated the dreaded Rangers in the playoffs in OT it would have been like passing the torch.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
My problem with the Holmstrom pick is we had a glaring weakness in our prospect pool that was screaming for centers.
Also a center is more valuable than a wing. Now BT traded for a center to fill the big clubs need and that came at a cost.
But I was looking for the Islanders to pick McMichael, and then pull a rabbit out of their hat and snag Beecher.

I will stand by that.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Is it fair to compare stats over one season since being drafted when Holmstrom at 18 was thrown into the AHL against men and the others still playing in juniors? Like others have mentioned, I think it's the injuries that turn people off. He was a PPG player before getting injured.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Seems odd. Has there even been dates set for camps yet?

maybe there’s guys skating and training unofficially on Long Island?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

I wouldn't overthink this, Jasperi Kotkaniemi's Liiga loan also ended and he is headed back for training also. Maybe teams are allowing players to use the facilities again.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Well it looks like the board still has a pulse.

Maybe Holmstrom does something that makes you feel like we could have an NHL player on our hands. So far he hasn't... no need to get up in arms.

I'm rooting for his success like all of you.
The thing is that the players who could have been taken in his spot are all doing great while he's looking like a complete dud.

No, he's not a bust at 19, but it's not confidence endusing seeing his +1 and now +2 draft year season performances.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wouldn't overthink this, Jasperi Kotkaniemi's Liiga loan also ended and he is headed back for training also. Maybe teams are allowing players to use the facilities again.

thank you for that. Makes me feel better that he’s not the only one. I didn’t see anyone else.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Realize it was Lou's draft but was under the impression that with a month's time there wasn't that much that could have changed in terms of the scouting staff.

What's your personal take on Iskhakov?
The draft department hasn't changed much since then. Lamoriello kept the same group in place, led mainly by Vellu Kautonen (Head Amateur Scout) and Trent Klatt (Director of Amateur Scouting).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's possible these guys played in Europe primarily to get some skating in and stay in shape in preparation for NHL camps. So maybe we shouldn't harp too much on their stats.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's possible these guys played in Europe primarily to get some skating in and stay in shape in preparation for NHL camps. So maybe we shouldn't harp too much on their stats.
Agreed. I don't get too worked up about the guys who are making highlight reel plays in the no-defense SHL, nor do I get to down on a guy who isn't scoring either. I want to see how they do when they get back to our coaches.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Agreed. I don't get too worked up about the guys who are making highlight reel plays in the no-defense SHL, nor do I get to down on a guy who isn't scoring either. I want to see how they do when they get back to our coaches.

Reasonable, though I put more stock in the guys not producing vs. players with no NHL future than I do in guys who are dangling through really poor defensive units.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015

Wouldnt Holmstrom be one of the top liners in the Swedish WJC team, strange that he leave Sweden right now but he hasnt been good in a poor Alsvenskan team,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->