Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
@Chapin Landvogt

Your thoughts on Rodrigo Abols?
he killed it in the regular season and has had a great post-season for Orebro in SHL.
Could he be isles, Pius Suter, next year?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
@Chapin Landvogt

Your thoughts on Rodrigo Abols?
he killed it in the regular season and has had a great post-season for Orebro in SHL.
Could he be isles, Pius Suter, next year?

I actually interviewed him a few years back in Vienna. He was playing with Dominic Turgeon in Portland back then.

It's hard to say. He's always looked like a good prospect and was already playing for his national team at the men's level when he was 17.

He was always "fine", but never dominant in North America. He's actually already under contract with FLA and has been on loan to Örebro. The contract would normally be on track to expire this summer, so he should be an upcoming UFA.

Fact is, he's in the midst of his best ever pro season and really has some nice power forward attributes.

There's no arguing with his size and his skating is just fine for a young man in that body. What he's showing this season is an even stronger nose for the net and he's had a number of strong wrist shot goals this year.

He has two teammates who have looked really good in recent years as well, one being Borna Rendulic and the other being Rangers draft pick Robin Kovacs, although I don't think they have his rights anymore.

I do think there is potential for one or more of those three forwards to sign an NHL contract this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI

ettlinger

Sep 13, 2005
I actually interviewed him a few years back in Vienna. He was playing with Dominic Turgeon in Portland back then.

It's hard to say. He's always looked like a good prospect and was already playing for his national team at the men's level when he was 17.

He was always "fine", but never dominant in North America. He's actually already under contract with FLA and has been on loan to Örebro. The contract would normally be on track to expire this summer, so he should be an upcoming UFA.

Fact is, he's in the midst of his best ever pro season and really has some nice power forward attributes.

There's no arguing with his size and his skating is just fine for a young man in that body. What he's showing this season is an even stronger nose for the net and he's had a number of strong wrist shot goals this year.

He has two teammates who have looked really good in recent years as well, one being Borna Rendulic and the other being Rangers draft pick Robin Kovacs, although I don't think they have his rights anymore.

I do think there is potential for one or more of those three forwards to sign an NHL contract this summer.

What do you think about Rendulic? He played for my home team Adler Mannheim in the DEL this past season and he was almost a PPG player. I just looked him up and he already has a few NHL games with Colorado under his belt. Do you think we might see him in the NHL next year?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What do you think about Rendulic? He played for my home team Adler Mannheim in the DEL this past season and he was almost a PPG player. I just looked him up and he already has a few NHL games with Colorado under his belt. Do you think we might see him in the NHL next year?

I think he's going to have some teams interested again, but none are going to promise him anything.

He'll have to be ready to go the AHL route again. If it's another Covid-affected season like this year, some team MIGHT be able to more or less promise a spot in the taxi squad.

But there must once again be interest. He's doing all the moves and stuff he did in Mannheim right in Örebro again. He's still looking highly effective. Power and creativity.

When I watch him, I do think there's an NHL player there. The questions are, would he be ready to play on a team that doesn't need his offense? And if not, is there a team that would have an offensive role for him?

Reactions: ettlinger

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Anyone seen Reece Newkirk play?

Decent numbers for Portland Winterhawks thus far though that it's about the same pace on the same team last year
11 games: 6 goals, 7 assists

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Anyone seen Reece Newkirk play?

Decent numbers for Portland Winterhawks thus far though that it's about the same pace on the same team last year
11 games: 6 goals, 7 assists

He needs to be signed this summer or he can go back into the draft.

Seeing as how Lou has signed every single Isles-drafted prospect since taking over (be it his or Snow's, to an ELC or AHL contract), I'd say it's safe to say that they'll add Newkirk accordingly.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He needs to be signed this summer or he can go back into the draft.

Seeing as how Lou has signed every single Isles-drafted prospect since taking over (be it his or Snow's, to an ELC or AHL contract), I'd say it's safe to say that they'll add Newkirk accordingly.
The couple times I’ve seen him I keep thinking Casey Cizikas.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Even Connor McMichael would have been a better pick.

Based on the 1.5 seasons since being drafted, a very good handful of guys taken in the 15 picks after him are looking like better picks.

Then again, we'll never know what he might have done had he been left to play with and against guys in his own age group instead of immediately being brought into the AHL as its youngest player.

As mentioned in the past, the path the Isles took with him was very unorthodox.

Reactions: Isles727

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
You never know with the way a player develops still. Holmstrom is a smart player, let the man develop as intended before we throw the hammer and piss ourselves.
Watching the sound tigers also he would have a lot more points if he played with better players, he is getting better and you can see what they see in him. He is a good skater, good along boards and has good hands and he seems like he has good work ethic so the points are going to come for him.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You're preaching to the choir here, amigo.

There's plenty to like about his toolbox.
Although I'm generally inclined to throw in a sarcastic post, I'll turn that off for now. I fully agree that the jury is out on this kid and he still may be a solid NHLer down the road.

But let's not fool ourselves. He's underperformed his draft position thus far.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->