Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I would like to see the Isles give a really long look at Aho. Yes, he is small, but can move the puck well. Let's see if BT can work his magic with him and pair him with a quality partner and learn the system.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I can't believe I just spent 20 minutes watching a video about Griffin Reinhart. What have I become?

And it wasn't even good. It was general information that I could've gotten in thirty seconds looking at his stats page.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If talking about the AHL, I think it doesn't make any sense for both the Isles and Golyshev. I mean, if he comes over in March then to just burn that only year of his ELC contract in the AHL would be strange for Lou and for Golyshev it wouldn't make any sense as that won't help him earn a decent NHL deal for the next year.

About changes, he is already 25, will be 26 in March, not sure if you can expect huge changes in his game at that point. He isn't weak for his size: 187 lbs for 5'8" height is a decent amount of muscles, can't expect him to be a hitting machine though. For skating, I think he is a more dynamic skater than, for example, Gusev, so not sure it's an issue. As for the defensive game, he has played quite some time on the PK last year, doesn't look like the D is something that he wouldn't be able to handle.

Wow, so it sounds like you believe he is capable of stepping into a role in the NHL, defensively, right now? To me, that is the question and, if he is capable, that would be terrific. I don't think there is any doubt that the Isles could use Golyshev's offensive creativity, perhaps with JGP on the third line. JGP needs better linemates next season.

Based on what I have seen on tape, Golyshev appears to have the necessary offensive ability, no question on that end, but he will need to play Trotz's system and not be a liability. Which is why I was thinking that if he joins the Isles late in the season, he could play some games in the AHL to adjust, gain experience and log big minutes. Then join the Isles when he and the team feel confident that he is up to speed.

It is good to hear that he is logging minutes on the PK, that will definitely help him. As long as he is able to fight through checks and physically compete in the NHL, he could have a spot. I could also see the Isles letting him burn his ELC and move onto his second contract too, just like they did with Sorokin.

Thanks for stopping by and giving us your thoughts, I really appreciate it! Please keep us updated on his progress.

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Wow, so it sounds like you believe he is capable of stepping into a role in the NHL, defensively, right now? To me, that is the question and, if he is capable, that would be terrific. I don't think there is any doubt that the Isles could use Golyshev's offensive creativity, perhaps with JGP on the third line. JGP needs better linemates next season.

Based on what I have seen on tape, Golyshev appears to have the necessary offensive ability, no question on that end, but he will need to play Trotz's system and not be a liability. Which is why I was thinking that if he joins the Isles late in the season, he could play some games in the AHL to adjust, gain experience and log big minutes. Then join the Isles when he and the team feel confident that he is up to speed.

It is good to hear that he is logging minutes on the PK, that will definitely help him. As long as he is able to fight through checks and physically compete in the NHL, he could have a spot. I could also see the Isles letting him burn his ELC and move onto his second contract too, just like they did with Sorokin.

Thanks for stopping by and giving us your thoughts, I really appreciate it! Please keep us updated on his progress.

Obviously Golyshev's NHL potential needs to be viewed in context of the cap situation, but if I'd were Lou, I'd start the season with couple of ELC prospects at 3rd and 4th line RWs and when Golyshev is available (and if in good conditions, of course) then just send down the worst of the two youngsters and hope that Golyshev can bring some value. This kind of approach would allow to save cap space needed for extensions already at the start of the season.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Obviously Golyshev's NHL potential needs to be viewed in context of the cap situation, but if I'd were Lou, I'd start the season with couple of ELC prospects at 3rd and 4th line RWs and when Golyshev is available (and if in good conditions, of course) then just send down the worst of the two youngsters and hope that Golyshev can bring some value. This kind of approach would allow to save cap space needed for extensions already at the start of the season.

This suggestion really resonates with me. You have a great pulse on our organization. Golyshev deserves the look, it's hard to know whether the KHL production translates without giving it a shot. If he could be closer to a Dadonov or Radulov then a Kovar, that would be a big boon. Not expecting him to be as good as those guys, but at least serviceable and contributing offensively.

Reactions: Caser

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Yep, a benefit of the LAK owners (Anschutz Corp.) owning the Eisbären Berlin as well.

Time for Malkin to buy the Växjö Lakers. Fits right in:
6a00d8341c5d3b53ef014e8b741a35970d-800wi

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Good to see Wahlstrom active, but this goal tells me little about his progress. Did anyone here take a look at the D-Man? I mean seriously, what kind of Schleps is he playing against?

Adam Ginning. Philly picked him in the second round 2018. He is the former captain of the Swedish Junior team. Well, he is decent.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This translates as “Oliver Wahlstrom hung two bags”

I don’t know if that means 2 goals, 2 assists, or he’s helping out with the teams equipment.

Reactions: nyisleslover

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some bad news on Golyshev (from his recent interview): he had contracted Covid in the offseason and it even caused some lung complications. While he says he is fine now, he doesn't feel like being in a very good shape (especially when having a longer shift), also he isn't that sure about his move overseas now.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Some bad news on Golyshev (from his recent interview): he had contracted Covid in the offseason and it even caused some lung complications. While he says he is fine now, he doesn't feel like being in a very good shape (especially when having a longer shift), also he isn't that sure about his move overseas now.

COVID has decimated the league, so many players and staff are going to have permanent health issues.

A COVID-19 Disaster In The KHL - Full Press Hockey

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

I don’t know if that means 2 goals, 2 assists, or he’s helping out with the teams equipment.

Is it, “Oliver Wahlstrom hung two bags”

Or

“Oliver Wahlstrom hung, two bags!”

Punctuation is everything. :naughty:

Reactions: SI90

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007

Yeah that means he scored two goals.

Reactions: SI90

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Some Wahlstrom filth to go with your morning coffee

I am still not seeing why some posters think he is a bust for his short time on the island. I thought the same thing with Bellows as well. Both players came in for a bottom six role and played the role in the Trotz system. We did not truly get to see either of them in a scoring role. That is until Bellows had his two goal night.

Am I saying that Bellows or Wahlstrom are going to be top six players for sure? Absolutely not. What I am saying though is I would not be surprised if either one of these guys end up playing for the NYI sooner rather than later. In a cap world you need your ELC players to produce, and the Islanders have the opportunity for that as early as next season.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am still not seeing why some posters think he is a bust for his short time on the island. I thought the same thing with Bellows as well. Both players came in for a bottom six role and played the role in the Trotz system. We did not truly get to see either of them in a scoring role. That is until Bellows had his two goal night.

Am I saying that Bellows or Wahlstrom are going to be top six players for sure? Absolutely not. What I am saying though is I would not be surprised if either one of these guys end up playing for the NYI sooner rather than later. In a cap world you need your ELC players to produce, and the Islanders have the opportunity for that as early as next season.
Around here if your early 1st rounder doesn’t enter the Calder Trophy conversation in his first pro year he’s a bust.

Reactions: YearlyLottery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad