Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Ishakov is 0G 1A and only 3 shots after 3 games.

Way too early to for any rash judgements but....he is a second round pick.

Hopefully he ramps up the production quickly.
Wasn't a fan of this pick. There was a better Russian available if they were going in that direction, Kirill Marchenko. Also Liked Akil Thomas, a center who was picked after Ishakov. Thomas had a huge post draft season last year.

Reactions: dood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is it me, or does Wahlstrom look like if you Photoshop Brett Lindros' head with Jeff O'Neill's face?

He also looks like him and his USA teammate Alex Turcotte could be brothers.

USA_TURCOTTE_ALEX.JPG

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I really don't mind trading Wilde for a similar prospect on offense. Maybe for a Logan Brown with some evening out?

After they decide if he goes back to Saginaw or Bridgeport? After the lack of TOI due to injury puts him in a situation where he develops and keeps his confidence in Saginaw with a 2nd year in the OHL and a long go in the playoffs. He will be the top D in the league, arguably. This will raise his value and he will only be D+2 this year. Being 1st PP, Top 2 D pairing and leader of the D. All trying to improve his defensive game so he is right on track for next year in Bridgeport. He might lose confidence and development making that large jump to the AHL if he is not 100% it will be exposed with the better talent in the AHL.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You're assuming he improves and accomplishes all that. That's not a given.

Forget getting fancy and decide whether a Logan Brown is the better option in our organization given the great RHD pool and the poor C pool we have.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I really don't mind trading Wilde for a similar prospect on offense. Maybe for a Logan Brown with some evening out?

Yep, I wouldn't move Wilde.

I can't speak of his mental make-up - but his physical attributes and skill level are really quite, well, off the charts.

Gotta find out what this kid has, because if he's the righty shot version of Giordano, you want him here right from the get-go. And topflight righty shot Dmen are basically THE most valuable commodity on the entire player market.

Reactions: dood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Yep, I wouldn't move Wilde.

I can't speak of his mental make-up - but his physical attributes and skill level are really quite, well, off the charts.

Gotta find out what this kid has, because if he's the righty shot version of Giordano, you want him here right from the get-go. And topflight righty shot Dmen are basically THE most valuable commodity on the entire player market.

IF we have a spot for him. That's the problem here. Dobson, Pulock, Mayfield, Hutton . . . add Wilde and SOMEONE has to go if they all can play well. Forget what COULD be for a minute and ask yourself if a Logan Brown or similar is a better fit if you look at the organization as a PORTFOLIO of prospects with ALL positions having pipeline impact.

That's the problem with looking at players INDIVIDUALLY. Haven't we had enough of assuming our prospects will develop from the past 10 years? Brown is already producing nicely in the AHL, Wilde hasn't got that on his resume yet.

Reactions: mm11

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
IF we have a spot for him. That's the problem here. Dobson, Pulock, Mayfield, Hutton . . . add Wilde and SOMEONE has to go if they all can play well. Forget what COULD be for a minute and ask yourself if a Logan Brown or similar is a better fit if you look at the organization as a PORTFOLIO of prospects with ALL positions having pipeline impact.

That's the problem with looking at players INDIVIDUALLY. Haven't we had enough of assuming our prospects will develop from the past 10 years? Brown is already producing nicely in the AHL, Wilde hasn't got that on his resume yet.

I personally role with Wilde and see where he is on the depth chart in 2years the difference in age. I watched Brown in Windsor and Kitchener and he played 4 years in the 0HL. Wilde at D had 70 pts in his 1st year and Brown a forward In his best year had 74 pts. Just don't think he is going to be the best option.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I personally role with Wilde and see where he is on the depth chart in 2years the difference in age. I watched Brown in Windsor and Kitchener and he played 4 years in the 0HL. Wilde at D had 70 pts in his 1st year and Brown a forward In his best year had 74 pts. Just don't think he is going to be the best option.

I said LIKE for a reason, there's got to be some prospect center or scoring winger to be had. Owen Tippett? Drake Batherson? Sam Steel? Ryan Poehling?

By the time Wilde shows anything (and right now he would be behind Hutton in Bridgeport, and certainly Dobson in the NHL) he might NOT get to show enough in the AHL.

We can't play FOUR RHD at the same time in the NHL and right now Wilde would have to beat out Mayfield, even assuming Boychuck is sitting on the sidelines. SOMEONE has to go. It might as well be to try to fill the prospect pool at center or scoring winger.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I remember hearing that Dobs said that he was equally proficient on both sides. If true, he would be the ideal 7th D, while acclimatizing.

I don't see an issue with the current status of RHD's, no need to panic. Chuk is going to slowly fade out over the next few years, giving us a cushion for the kids. And we can get a decent return for Mayfield, I believe.

I say we keep them all for this year, unless a sweet deal pops up. Trade Mayfield in the off season, go with Pulock, Chuk, and Dobs, with Hutton as the 7th. In a year or two after, Chuck is more of a mentor, and Wilde (obviously if he evolves properly), steps up.

Bring along Dobs slowly for now, and if he transitions well, he may turn into a Black Ace for us.

Right now, we're tied with COL for 9th, in PP%. If we continue on this way, I really am comfortable with staying put, for this year.

I also think that Beau, Barzy, Pulock, Toews... all have the potential take a step forward, with probably only Chuk expected to slow down a bit.

I am ok with seeing how we fare for a few more weeks, before we consider the panic button...

Tuckisles

Oct 21, 2005
I don't think we should trade Wilde and especially not because of Hutton. I like Hutton but remember he's 4 years older than Wilde and was signed on an amateur tryout contract as opposed to Wilde who was a 2nd round draft pick that many had going in round 1. He is also a Dman that averaged a point per game last season. Hutton may turn into a good pro but the upside on Wilde is much higher.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
We've got a lot of #5-6 Dmen, some of whom are judged to be better than that on this board.

No one is going to give up much for that especially at this time of the year.

The names they'll be asking for are the ones most of us on the board think are untouchable or nearly so. That would be Puloch, Toews, Dobson, Wilde and Pelech (to a lesser extent)..
I applaud you for trying to reason with them but it won't work. The poster you replied to and the people who 'liked' his post just can't understand why Lou can't pull off a trade of Kyle Connor for Nick Leddy straight up. After all, WPG needs D and we need O, so what's the prob?

Reactions: The Real JT

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You have to wonder if this is a plan to showcase him for a trade for offense. If he shows he can get it done at the AHL level the value really goes up
I don't think that's the case. He's a prospect one year removed from being drafted. He's being assigned there to develop. His development itself is a de facto showcase for being traded....as well as being a contributor for the Islanders in 1-4 years.

Trades are pretty infrequent in this league. Much more frequent on message boards (which makes sense). While there may not be room for Wilde to ascend to the NHL at this point, things have a funny way of working out and we really don't know what will be in 2-3 years - when Wilde is probably ready to make the leap. In the meantime, let the kid work on his defensive - and overall - game in Bridgeport. If a trade pops up where he can be a valuable piece - great. And if we develop another offensive minded defenseman to graduate to the NHL in 2021 or so, that's great too.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
+ = on IR or just hurt

NHL - New York Islanders

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Noah DobsonD2018 round 1 #121201100
Michael Dal ColleRW/LW2014 round 1 #5GRAD60114-3
Devon ToewsD2014 round 4 #108GRAD622402
* Oliver Wahlstrom RW/LW2018 round 1 #113100000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Kieffer BellowsLW/C2016 round 1 #19541120-2
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #23840110-3
Josh Ho-SangRW2014 round 1 #28GRAD000000
+ Otto KoivulaC/LW/RW2016 round 4 #120620112-2
+ Bode WildeD2018 round 2 #414000000
+ Mitchell Vande SompelD2015 round 3 #8213000000
Parker WotherspoonD2015 round 4 #112HM40226-3
+ Robert CarpenterLW/CUFA SigningNR000000
Sebastian AhoD2017 round 5 #139741120-3
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113412311-2
Grant HuttonDUFA SigningHM400000
Mason JobstLW/CUFA SigningNR30004-2
David QuennevilleD2016 rnd 7 #200NR000000
Arnaud DurandeauLW/C2017 round 6 #165HM110100
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ECHL - Worcester Railers

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CHL - Canadian Major Juniors

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Samuel BolducD2019 round 2 #5710Blainville-Boisbriand90446-1
Blade JenkinsLW/C2018 round 5 #13414Saginaw Spirit1135841
Cole CoskeyRW2019 round 7 #209NRSaginaw Spirit1186142-3
Felix BibeauC2019 round 6 #178NRQuebec Remparts10513181010
Reece NewkirkC2019 round 5 #147NRPortland Winterhawks91910124
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NCAA

Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439Univ. of Connecticut301120
Nick PastujovLW2016 round 7 #193NRUniv. of Michigan201120
Collin AdamsLW2016 round 6 #170NRUniv. of North Dakota210124
Logan CockerillLW2017 round 7 #201NRBoston Univ.100001
Benjamin MirageasD2017 round 3 #77NRProvidence College200001
Christian KrygierD2018 round 7 #196NRMichigan State Univ.20002-1
Jacob PivonkaC2018 round 4 #103NRUniv. of Notre Dame21012-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Europe

Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620SaiPa (Liiga)122466-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goalies

PLAYERACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAASV%SO
Ilya Sorokin2014 round 3 #782CSKA Moskva (KHL)101.37.9422
Linus Söderström2014 round 4 #9511Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL)0000
Jakub Skarek2018 round 3 #7212Worcester Railers (ECHL)11.00.9600
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
You have to wonder if this is a plan to showcase him for a trade for offense. If he shows he can get it done at the AHL level the value really goes up
Wilde seems to me to be one of those guys who isn't easily traded. He's got huge upside but there are also concerns about his game. He's hard to value and risky to trade/acquire.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
An interesting read this article by Michael Fornabaio with some insights on Bode Wilde!

Here some quotes from Bode Wilde and coach Thompson:

Bode Wilde, a 19-year-old defenseman, took part in practice Thursday at Webster Bank Arena, partly on his own, wearing a red no-contact sweater. He has been skating for a couple of weeks, but he missed the preseason with a sprained ankle.

“Not going to camp is a big disadvantage,” said Wilde, the Islanders’ second-round draft pick in 2018. “Not getting my legs under me before the season gets into full swing, that’s going to be part of the challenge, getting my legs back and getting that mental aspect dialed into midseason form.”

“Obviously a huge upside, big body (6-4, 201), moves well, good brain,” Bridgeport coach Brent Thompson said. “(His) hockey sense is solid. I’m looking forward to have the opportunity to work with him and get him to the level he needs to be to help the Islanders win a (Stanley) Cup.
“He’s been off the ice quite awhile. It’s going to be a work in progress, but you like all the tools he brings to the table. He’s going to be a huge asset for our hockey team here.”

Wilde, since he was drafted out of the NTDP, could either come here or return to Saginaw of the Ontario Hockey League.
That remains an option, but Wilde is excited to get his pro career going.
“I had a big season in the OHL last year, and my coaches really helped me prepare for this jump,” he said. “I feel pretty comfortable that I can step in here and make a difference.”

And on the ice, his coaches helped develop his defensive game to complement elite offensive abilities, to become a reliable defender.
“I achieved that in that league. Now I come here and hopefully let my offensive instincts do their thing when I have the opportunity,” Wilde said, “but first and foremost I want to be able to defend and impact the game on the back side.

Full article:
Wilde joins Sound Tigers; start date to come

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->