Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
That Bellows video makes me think Jim Burt on skates. But hey, maybe that works. Jim Burt was always a lot more effective than he looked.
FYI, Jim Burt was a hockey player growing up in MN. He used to live in my town in NJ when I was an elementary school kid and used to come out on the local pond once in a while to play with us. The guy could skate and was terrifying to see on the ice.
There's a local urban legend he went to an open tryout for the Devils just for the hell of it when they first came to Jersey and supposedly flattened a guy and was told not to come back.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
FYI, Jim Burt was a hockey player growing up in MN. He used to live in my town in NJ when I was an elementary school kid and used to come out on the local pond once in a while to play with us. The guy could skate and was terrifying to see on the ice.
There's a local urban legend he went to an open tryout for the Devils just for the hell of it when they first came to Jersey and supposedly flattened a guy and was told not to come back.

that's AMAZING. lol. thank you.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I was just perusing the trade board and I saw a thread proposal that involved Marner + Liligren + a 1st for Pieterangelo. That trade is stupid and not really the point but it underscores how valuable legit top pairing defenseman are - especially RHDs. Just makes me even more happy that we have Dobson in the pipeline - especially considering he's the value we got for Hamonic. There's no guarantee of anything obviously, but considering his potential ceiling, we may have just stepped in sh!t. He could be the kind of guy that you simply aren't able to trade for or otherwise acquire - they're just not available other than being homegrown.
Yeah, there's a shot we luck our way into the two hardest things to acquire thanks to trades with Alberta teams

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Ironically, even if Bellows made it to the roster this season and would, in many ways, be completely overwhelmed from the NHL game, I think his shot alone and propensity to take it would pot him 15-20 goals. He's got that innate sniping ability and likes to release with regularity.

It would be FANTASTIC if he and Wahlstrom basically became a sniping tag-team (perhaps on different lines), much like having a Brock Boeser type on each side.

When does training camp start?

Picture an umbrella PP with Bellows and Wahlstrom in the circles, Pulock up top with Barzal and Bailey distributing the puck.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
C'mon P-Dubs...you can't give up this early. Let's make these insufferable plebs around the rest of the league eat some crow.

..unless of course you mean we deal Nelson for a 1st and that team fails to make the playoffs, and then that pick wins the lottery ending up 1st overall....in that case SURE!

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I just think we're taking a step back from last year. You don't lose your best player and then take a step forward.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I just think we're taking a step back from last year. You don't lose your best player and then take a step forward.

*2nd best player*

..and you conceivably could when you replace Doug Weight with a Stanley Cup winning coach, and a guy who was considered one of the best and most respected coaches in the league even before winning the Cup. Plus the team clearly has something to prove with all this Tavares talk.

Maybe they will ultimately take a step back, but I wouldn't write them off before the year even starts.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
*2nd best player*

..and you conceivably could when you replace Doug Weight with a Stanley Cup winning coach, and a guy who was considered one of the best and most respected coaches in the league even before winning the Cup. Plus the team clearly has something to prove with all this Tavares talk.

Maybe they will ultimately take a step back, but I wouldn't write them off before the year even starts.

How about we see Barzal as "the guy" before we declare him the better of the two...

And yes Trotz is an upgrade over Weight, but there are huge question marks on the blueline and in goal.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
*2nd best player*

I agree with what seafoam and PW are saying where we need to see Barzal as "the guy" first and that you don't simply lose a player such as Tavares and get better.

This team needed a culture change and in some sort of weird way if this team is competitive this year make no mistake about it some of that will come from Tavares leaving. Most of it will come from Trotz and hopefully guys like JHS and Pulock doing more with more minutes, but it seems as if JT leaving has finally banded this team together towards a goal of winning.

I'm probably just rambling, but for those of you who want something positive to hold onto for this season I think this would be it. You have to hope that this team has a chip on their shoulder from Tavares leaving and that Trotz proves he is the best coach in the league and that all our players have been underperforming greatly under Cappy and Weight.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
What’s so special about Toews?
The big thing is his skating. He was an all-star as a rookie and won the AHL speed skating competition with a time that was a only tenth or two slower than McDavid's time at the NHL all-star competition. And he has put up about .6 or .7 points per game as an AHL defenseman while supposedly playing good defense.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The big thing is his skating. He was an all-star as a rookie and won the AHL speed skating competition with a time that was a only tenth or two slower than McDavid's time at the NHL all-star competition. And he has put up about .6 or .7 points per game as an AHL defenseman while supposedly playing good defense.
I think it is important to remember though that he is 24, older than Adam Pelech for example

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think it is important to remember though that he is 24, older than Adam Pelech for example
I don't view that as a negative though - not unusual for a guy coming out of college (ECAC). He then had a nice first pro year in the AHL and played 30 games his 2nd pro year (last year) before he got hurt for the year. He seems like a guy that just maybe matured late.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What’s so special about Toews?

Picture a quicker de Haan, same physical build, with a tendency to make a quicker outlet pass as well.

Had he not suffered the same injury as de Haan, at exactly the same time as de Haan, we'd have seen him up here instead of Aho.

In short, his injury was TERRIBLE timing. It cost him his big shot to already be in the show and perhaps already looking at a regular role by now.

Or not. Now he's back in the "prove it again" phase. Tough to tell what'll be happening heading into the season.

I definitely think Lou is adding another Dman before the season begins.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Picture a quicker de Haan, same physical build, with a tendency to make a quicker outlet pass as well.

Had he not suffered the same injury as de Haan, at exactly the same time as de Haan, we'd have seen him up here instead of Aho.

In short, his injury was TERRIBLE timing. It cost him his big shot to already be in the show and perhaps already looking at a regular role by now.

Or not. Now he's back in the "prove it again" phase. Tough to tell what'll be happening heading into the season.

I definitely think Lou is adding another Dman before the season begins.
Intriguing

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Apparently it's a one way as well. Looks like Toews is gonna be playing in the League this year.
That doesnt necessarily mean that. It’s all about waivers. He’s exempt so if worse case he doesn’t make the team he can be just sent down. 1way just means his Salary is the same in the NHL or AHL

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Crazy I am just hearing about this Toews kid. Hopefully he can replace CdH’s role internally

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
That doesnt necessarily mean that. It’s all about waivers. He’s exempt so if worse case he doesn’t make the team he can be just sent down. 1way just means his Salary is the same in the NHL or AHL
No I know that. I think what I meant by my previous post was that they have those expectations that he'll be in the NHL. I mean, he hasn't played a game yet, so you'd think they'd give him another 2 way. Just my thoughts on that.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If Toews hasn't pushed Pelech out of the lineup by December (or onto the 3rd pairing right side), I'll be disappointed. We'll have to see whether he has De Haan's poise, but his skating looks so unbelievably similar (just a bit more powerful than cdh). Also, unlike De Haan, his shot isn't a muffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad