Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If Toews hasn't pushed Pelech out of the lineup by December (or onto the 3rd pairing right side), I'll be disappointed. We'll have to see whether he has De Haan's poise, but his skating looks so unbelievably similar (just a bit more powerful than cdh). Also, unlike De Haan, his shot isn't a muffin.

Oh, let's not underrate Pelech!

This guy is going to be better than de Haan. He took on A LOT of minutes, as a pure rookie, for a team that basically had no defensive conscience this past season.

And he STILL finished with a +7.

He's clearly ahead of Mayfield and even Hickey (who had his statistically speaking best season as well) on the defensive totem pole, and likely a top 4 going into the season - even after Lou grabs another bonafide Dman.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

This guy is going to be better than de Haan. He took on A LOT of minutes, as a pure rookie, for a team that basically had no defensive conscience this past season.

He's clearly ahead of Mayfield and even Hickey (who had his statistically speaking best season as well) on the defensive totem pole, and likely a top 4 going into the season - even after Lou grabs another bonafide Dman.
agreed. seems like quite a few posters don't like him, but i do. not without his warts, but who isn't? i think he will be fine in a 2nd pairing role, eventually. playing both sides certainly makes him more valuable.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
agreed. seems like quite a few posters don't like him, but i do. not without his warts, but who isn't? i think he will be fine in a 2nd pairing role, eventually. playing both sides certainly makes him more valuable.
Put me in the pro-Pelech camp too. FWIW, in the OHL he scored .2 points per game as a rookie and steadily increased each year by about .2 points per game until in his fourth and final year he scored .9 points per game. I'm not saying he'll replicate that in the NHL, but there is precedence for him improving his overall game as he gains experience.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Having all the rookie defensemen in the lineup last year could end up being a positive, gave them NHL minutes to learn from, step 2 is having one of the top coaches in league now running the show and hopefully having a Scott Stevens to take these guys to the next level

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Having all the rookie defensemen in the lineup last year could end up being a positive, gave them NHL minutes to learn from, step 2 is having one of the top coaches in league now running the show and hopefully having a Scott Stevens to take these guys to the next level

It's an evaluation season so it's good that these kids are actually going to be evaluated. While Dobson is the great hope for the future, this is mainly the group that we'll be relying on as we move forward. It's imperative to find out what we have in these kids.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Can someone tell me what the upside is to Sebastian Aho? I just don't see a NHL defenseman when he is out there.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Can someone tell me what the upside is to Sebastian Aho? I just don't see a NHL defenseman when he is out there.
He's only 22 (2 years younger than Toews for example) so there's room to grow. Pretty mobile, very skilled. I think he tops out as a 3rd pair PPQB guy but wouldn't be surprised if he evolves into a top 4 guy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I think he’s phenomenal in the offensive zone.

He does have to improve his play in his own zone and get a little stronger, but that’s not unusual for a young defenseman.

I think he has the potential to be “bottom four” defenseman.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I haven’t given up on Pelech. I think he was overused last year.

Would like to see how he does on the 3rd pairing.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I can’t wait to see our defense in a system that isn’t akin to running around like a chicken with its head cut off

Or in a "system" where they give opposing players a ridiculous amount of space and bleed an insane amount of shots.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

I've always said that Pelech got a questionable hockey IQ. You can survive in the juniors without any hockey IQ at all (just look at Yakupov)... but it will hard for you to be an impactful player in the NHL. I don't think Pelech will improve much more - because of his lack of hockey IQ.

Just found this video...

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I've always said that Pelech got a questionable hockey IQ. You can survive in the juniors without any hockey IQ at all (just look at Yakupov)... but it will hard for you to be an impactful player in the NHL. I don't think Pelech will improve much more - because of his lack of hockey IQ.

Just found this video...

Interesting video. Someone definitely put a bit of time into that.

I'll put more weight on some of the stuff in there if it's happening when he's a 4th or 5th year pro.

Also, be interesting to see what takes place under Trotz' tutelage. The pinching segment has me thinking that THIS was desired by the coaching staff, especially considering that he wasn't the only Dman doing that here with regularity.

This said, this team was often BRUTAL when it came to getting pucks out of its zone with 100% opportunities that failed. That wasn't always the case in the Pelech samples in the video (where some of those failed clears were hardly in a situation where a clear was a gimme), but it was often throughout the season. In addition, the Dmen on this team were constantly attempting short, cute little passes in their own zone in situations that were dangerous. That leads me to believe that it was "part of the plan" from this coaching staff.

But if this stuff was more about Pelech than systems, we'll definitely find out this season.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Just found this video...

I recall during the 2014-15 season with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, they seemed to encourage defensemen like Pulock, Reinhart, Pelech, the immortal Aaron Ness and Jesse Graham, and even Mayfield to jump up into plays and pinch.

Presumably to try and compensate for absolutely horrific forward play at times. After all, that team iced such luminaries as Kael Mouillierat, Harry Z, C.J. Stretch, Cory Conacher, Scooter Vaughan, etc. with Alan Quine the clear-cut "star" of the forward corps.

The question is it due to bad instincts/hockey sense on the player's part or terrible coaching from Thompson and co., with the BST, that ingrained some bad habits? I would like to see if a real coach fix the issue and how some of the younger players develop.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Just found this video...

I think a lot of our D we're coached to pinch like that, so we'll see with a different coach. Unless, of course, he did that at every level of play.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I recall during the 2014-15 season with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, they seemed to encourage defensemen like Pulock, Reinhart, Pelech, the immortal Aaron Ness and Jesse Graham, and even Mayfield to jump up into plays and pinch.

Presumably to try and compensate for absolutely horrific forward play at times. After all, that team iced such luminaries as Kael Mouillierat, Harry Z, C.J. Stretch, Cory Conacher, Scooter Vaughan, etc. with Alan Quine the clear-cut "star" of the forward corps.

The question is it due to bad instincts/hockey sense on the player's part or terrible coaching from Thompson and co., with the BST, that ingrained some bad habits? I would like to see if a real coach fix the issue and how some of the younger players develop.

This is why I expect the young D to play much better under Trotz.

By the way with guys like and the coaching down there is it no wonder why MDC hasn't developed? Or Ho-Sang not playing as well as he does up in the NHL when he was sent down?

Development does not happen in the AHL.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Just found this video...

Those blunders can be fixed easily. However, I think he needs to be stronger on the puck. Never realized how weak he is while holding it.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Did Pelech steal this guy's girlfriend?

Pelech played over 1500 minutes of hockey this season. If someone this obsessive could only come up with five minutes of struggles (some of which are related to chance as much as anything else), I think Pelech was doing just fine.
Seriously. And on some of those pinches there was time for a forward to get back to cover but they didn't.

Reactions: dood

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Seriously. And on some of those pinches there was time for a forward to get back to cover but they didn't.

Especially since most weren't a matter of Pelech getting burnt. He just seems to have trouble stopping the puck along the boards. He makes sure to take the body when he tries to stop the puck carrier.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Seriously -- I'm not judging any dman's positioning acumen based on his play in Doug Weight's system.
Weight's System =

jumbo shrimp
bittersweet
farewell reception
original copy
small crowd
act naturally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad