Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Are we talking about Josh Bailey or Brock Nelson here.
Question: Josh and Brock had 6 eggs each, and they skated into the corner of the rink with McNasty. If they wanted to make 2 egg omelettes for their friends after the game, how many friends could they invite?

Answer: 6 friends because no eggs would be broken.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I would not be surprised. Slap Shot my all time favorite hockey movie was partly inspired by real life.

Yep, and by the same inspiration that helped spawn the New York Islanders... The Long Island Ducks lead by player/coach John Brophy (Also the inspiration for Paul Newman’s character Reggie Dunlop).

SI

Feb 16, 2013
NCAA games tonight - BC and Wahlstrom an assist -2, Ben Mireagas an assist -1 ... Once Providence beats up BC, I wonder if Wahlstrom will sign an ATO with B'port and ELC with Isles.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
Regular season in the Finnish Liiga finished this week. Today two wild cards series begin for the last two places in the quarterfinals, with SaiPa (with Robin Salo) playing in one. Pelicans (with Jakub Skarek) finished regular season in third place, and will start the playoffs next week.

Salo finished the regular season with 4-12-16 in 57 games, beating his previous career high by one point. Coincidentally, he had exactly identical season stats (4-12-16) as former Isles-draft flop Jyri Niemi. All hope might not yet be lost for Salo to become a NHL'er, but things certainly aren't looking to good at this point.

Skarek finished with a 90.6% SVS, and played out most of the season as Pelicans' back-up goalie. Not quite as spectacular as one might have hoped for, but still a really solid season considering his age. If the Isles can get Sorokin to cross the pond, and Soderstrom back on the ice, Skarek will have a nice couple of years to improve himself in Europe and perhaps the AHL. He could indeed end up a very nice asset for the organisation.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
NCAA games tonight - BC and Wahlstrom an assist -2, Ben Mireagas an assist -1 ... Once Providence beats up BC, I wonder if Wahlstrom will sign an ATO with B'port and ELC with Isles.

Does anyone know what the rules are with the expension draft if Wilde, Wahlstrom or Dobson go pro next year do we have to protect them?

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Does anyone know what the rules are with the expension draft if Wilde, Wahlstrom or Dobson go pro next year do we have to protect them?

1st and 2nd year NHL players are exempt so if any of the 3 play next season they should be exempt when the expansion draft happens.

islandersDynasty7983

Mar 9, 2019
islanders are getting some help tonight 4-2 TB in 3rd
2-0 Hawks of Canadiens
Columbus is 1-1
Carolina winning is only bad so far.......sigh if only isles won today would be possibly tied for 1st with game in hand, suprising this team still has shot at division title just look at caps remaining schedule Yikes

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
islanders are getting some help tonight 4-2 TB in 3rd
2-0 Hawks of Canadiens
Columbus is 1-1
Carolina winning is only bad so far.......sigh if only isles won today would be possibly tied for 1st with game in hand, suprising this team still has shot at division title just look at caps remaining schedule Yikes
This is a bummer. I have grown fond of the habs and their fans. Would much rather they make the playoffs, opposed to Columbus

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Was just curious if that was a possibility. Not sure if the team would prefer him to play in college still or not.

Once Wahlstrom signs his ELC, no more NCAA hockey as he would be a professional and thus ineligible. It would be CHL (I think Cape Breton in the Q owns his rights), AHL, or NHL. His ELC would slide if he goes go the Q. Not sure it slides if he's in the AHL all season though.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Once Wahlstrom signs his ELC, no more NCAA hockey as he would be a professional and thus ineligible. It would be CHL (I think Cape Breton in the Q owns his rights), AHL, or NHL. His ELC would slide if he goes go the Q. Not sure it slides if he's in the AHL all season though.

As a top draft pick I would eat up that contract offer if I am Whalstrom. You never know what could happen in NCAA. He is there to play hockey and is clearly not there for the education. An Associate's Degree won't do much for him if he fails and busts in the NHL, but signing a juicy ELC and even being up in the NHL for one season would mean some series dough for him.

With the success of the AHL team lately, if Lamoriello feels he will develop more on the Soundtigers I am all for signing him there today.

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Why go back? Why not just let him play at the AHL next season

I'd sure like to see him stick to college. He's got unfinished business there. If not, then head to the CHL. No reason to have him playing pro hockey after the humble winter he just had.

As Lou said at the recent season ticket holders meeting, you can definitely bring up a kid too soon, but you can never bring him up too late.

After the season he's had, looks like Wahlstrom needs more marinating at the college level. I'd like to see him have a 30+ point season there before he enters the pro ranks.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
BC wins 2 straight against providence to move on after being down and losing the first game.

Gotta say, I'm surprised that Mirageas had the season he did.

Providence was a very solid team and featured a ton of players who posted between a +11 and +23. Lots of other plus players to. Mirageas was a team-worse -5.

In addition, his stats dropped from his freshman year and he only managed 2 goals. A bit of a set-back for a kid that as late as last summer looked like a candidate for the WJC squad.

Wonder what's being going on with him?

PS) So that means that this kid Wilkins may now be a UFA, right?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'd sure like to see him stick to college. He's got unfinished business there. If not, then head to the CHL. No reason to have him playing pro hockey after the humble winter he just had.

As Lou said at the recent season ticket holders meeting, you can definitely bring up a kid too soon, but you can never bring him up too late.

After the season he's had, looks like Wahlstrom needs more marinating at the college level. I'd like to see him have a 30+ point season there before he enters the pro ranks.[/QUOTE]

After all the hype I saw with him pre draft last year, I was expecting him to be pretty dominant this year in college but guess we got ahead of ourselves. Hoping Lou is giving him a list of things he needs to work on and is dangling a carrot in front of him to keep him motivated (not that he should need that but always helps). With his supposed sniping skills that is an ability that is always needed on any NHL team and could use that presently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad