Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Aho, Wotherspoon, and Vande Sompel likely never become full time defensemen for this team because of the re-signing of Thomas Hickey. That’s the sad truth.

Toews will eventually replace Pelech, but if Leddy is moved, it’s for another NHL defenseman. Can’t see Hickey making 2.5M per to be the 7D either.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Aho, Wotherspoon, and Vande Sompel likely never become full time defensemen for this team because of Thomas Hickey. That’s the sad truth.
I'd agree if Snow/Weight were still involved. But if Lamoriello/Trotz feel they've earned it, they will be on the team. I think Aho has the best skillset of the 3, though I think we can all agree Toews is probably the best Bridgeport dman overall.

Reactions: seafoam

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Aho, Wotherspoon, and Vande Sompel likely never become full time defensemen for this team because of the re-signing of Thomas Hickey. That’s the sad truth.

I disagree. I mean, Thomas Hickey is pretty cheap, and I believe he's pretty well respected around the league. That contract is no albatross. The other thing is I expect only 1 of those 3 defenders to eventually become a full timer. Last, I don't think anyone is trading a top 4 D for Nick Leddy. If a team wants Nick Leddy, it's because they want to round out their D with someone with his skillset, not trade a player with comparable status.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I disagree. I mean, Thomas Hickey is pretty cheap, and I believe he's pretty well respected around the league. That contract is no albatross. The other thing is I expect only 1 of those 3 defenders to eventually become a full timer. Last, I don't think anyone is trading a top 4 D for Nick Leddy. If a team wants Nick Leddy, it's because they want to round out their D with someone with his skillset, not trade a player with comparable status.

If they are willing to move Hickey after 12-18 months I’m all for it. Maybe I’m still stuck thinking this is a Snow operation.

Leddy’s future is such an enigma with the club. He could be moved by the deadline or play out his contract with the organization.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If they are willing to move Hickey after 12-18 months I’m all for it. Maybe I’m still stuck thinking this is a Snow operation.

Leddy’s future is such an enigma with the club. He could be moved by the deadline or play out his contract with the organization.

Whatever they decide to do, I think it's pretty clear that their contracts are movable if it turns out that young D are better. I won't feel down about their decision making until I see them not really give Toews a chance.

Reactions: dood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Looks like Dobson will be on the 2nd PP unit. Not a surprise. I actually like that 2nd unit better with Smith, Comtois,Suzuki, and Frost. It’s so evident how much all these coaches love Dobson’s game and why he’s held in such high regard. Love it.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Looks like Dobson will be on the 2nd PP unit. Not a surprise. I actually like that 2nd unit better with Smith, Comtois,Suzuki, and Frost. It’s so evident how much all these coaches love Dobson’s game and why he’s held in such high regard. Love it.

Great to hear about Dobson. Do you think he can make the Isles next year or will he need a year at Bridge?

Reactions: SI90

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Big if's but if the kid Dobson makes a run at the memorial cup and wins world juniors with Canada then not really sure he has much left to do in Junior.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I don’t think he’s eligible for AHL next year but I do believe he will have a shot to make the isles.

Thanks, his skating is certainly good enough. Hopefully he puts on a few pounds as that seemed to be the one area that needed work.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Thanks, his skating is certainly good enough. Hopefully he puts on a few pounds as that seemed to be the one area that needed work.

That’s really the key. His skating and hockey IQ is definitely ready. He does needs to add more muscle to play against men every night.
He’s such a smart hockey player and Defensman. He really understands the game.

I think he’s 175-180lbs right now. At 6’3 I’d like to see him get to 195lbs and eventually settle in at 200+ lbs

He’s still a baby. By the time he gets 22,23,24 he will really start to mature physically.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Pulock/Boychuk/Mayfield on the right side, I’m curious to see where Dobson would fit on the Islanders blue line.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He can play on the left side as well

Trotz, like most coaches prefer 3 right handed shots and three left handed shots.

Not that I think it’s realistic, or even viable, but Dobson’s had experience in Europe before playing juniors. I wonder if playing in the Swiss league on a loan or something like that would be an option.

I’d imagine NYI would like to keep Mayfield around as a third pairing guy over the duration of his contract because it is long and cheap and he is a good 3RD. While Boychuk is slowing down, he’s not ready to sail off into the sunset yet and that contract is not really movable in my opinion.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bode Wilde, you have to ask yourself, what do we have in Bode Wilde ? The kid had a great week last week with 3 goals and 7 points. 2 of those goals were game winners. 33 points in 27 games, including 9 goals. Awesome stats for an 18 year old defenseman in his FIRST season in a new league. Why the US WJC team didn't bring him to be on their team, I'll never understand.

Obviously very talented offensively, led the US18 development team in scoring last year for a defenseman as well. I'm basing this all on stats obviously, I haven't really had a chance to watch him outside of highlights. But he definitely is impressive. To coin a phrase from baseball, seems like he is a 5 tool player (has ALL the tools skills wise). And to think he's such an offensive force, at his size (6'3" 190) is really impressive. I know people have brought up his hockey IQ, but you can't ignore the results so far. Thoughts ?

Reactions: xECK29x

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Obviously very talented offensively, led the US18 development team in scoring last year for a defenseman as well. I'm basing this all on stats obviously, I haven't really had a chance to watch him outside of highlights. But he definitely is impressive. To coin a phrase from baseball, seems like he is a 5 tool player (has ALL the tools skills wise). And to think he's such an offensive force, at his size (6'3" 190) is really impressive. I know people have brought up his hockey IQ, but you can't ignore the results so far. Thoughts ?

I've only watched the Spirit game highlights. He's got unbelievable skills, but you also see him fairly passive defensively, allowing players to get behind him to put in rebounds, etc. So, I definitely see some concerns. But I saw the same things in Bouchard highlights, so I don't really know.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Smith
Suzuki-Frost-Dobson
Comtois

I wonder if that means he'll be on the RW side or the Ovechkin spot?

Reactions: SI90

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
With Pulock/Boychuk/Mayfield on the right side, I’m curious to see where Dobson would fit on the Islanders blue line.

I think Mayfield will stay as the cheap 3rd pairing guy. He is on a good contract. Dobson's skill set doesn't exist with the other right handed D. Dobson will wind up a either the first or second pairing right D. The real key will be how Wilde and Pulock develop. I think one will go assuming both develop. I have no idea but time will tell. With Boychuk around a few more years there is no need to rush Wilde or Dobson. Both will play when ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad