Isles picking 4th or 5th= Ryan Murphy

arsmaster*

He's closer to Ray Bourque than Kris Russell..soooo

I sure hope you arent expecting Ray Bourque:shakehead

He's closer to Coffey than Bourque....

Lets be realistic here, he's a good young prospect, who is extremely talented...but Bourque....coming from a Bruins fan....:shakehead

Kris Russell was a pretty prolific junior too, with unreal skating.....thats got him....

member 96824

I sure hope you arent expecting Ray Bourque:shakehead

He's closer to Coffey than Bourque....

Lets be realistic here, he's a good young prospect, who is extremely talented...but Bourque....coming from a Bruins fan....:shakehead

Kris Russell was a pretty prolific junior too, with unreal skating.....thats got him....

not expecting Bourque at all...just saying, this kid is the real deal and will translate well to the NHL game..he's not Kris Russell.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
just read some posts on Murphy all over the net...and I can't understand why people are saying he's high risk.high reward high bust potential. This guy has all the tools more than anybody including Larssens. This kid has not only perform well...he has dominated more so than any other D-man available to be drafted..and that makes him high risk/bust potential more so than any other d-man or for that matter any player...the only other player so far that has manhandled their leagues has been RNH..he turned it on in the second half.

oh..i see.. 179Ibs and 5'10 is the main cuz for alarm.....R U KIDDING ME....he's freaken 17 yrs old...and even if he doesn't turn in to the jolly green giant....he'll be able to skate rings around the rink and while being coached to play solid postional D..ala Brian Leetch.

I'm telling you..the teams that pass on this kid will regret it....
and what makes me such an expert....i have a crystal ball..lol

and no i wasn't paid by don cherry..lol

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
just read some posts on Murphy all over the net...and I can't understand why people are saying he's high risk.high reward high bust potential. This guys has all the tools more than anybody including Larssens. This kid has not only perform well...he has dominated more so than any other D-man available to be drafted..and that makes him high risk/bust potential more so than any other d-man or for that matter any player...the only other player so far that has manhandled their leagues has been RNH..he turned it on in the second half.

oh..i see.. 179Ibs and 5'10 is the main cuz for alarm.....R U KIDDING ME....he's freaken 17 yrs old...and even if he doesn't turn in to the jolly green giant....he'll be able to skate rings around the rink and while being coached to play solid postional D..ala Brian Leetch.

I'm telling you..the teams that pass on this kid will regret it....
and what makes me such an expert....i have a crystal ball..lol

and no i wasn't paid by don cherry..lol

I won't say much more than this because I get enough flak for defending Murphy but it's pretty well established Murphy is by far the most skilled defensemen in the draft and probably the most skilled player. No one can really debate that.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Murphy is a beast. I'd be ecstatic if the Hawks were in a position to draft him. The only knock on him is his size, which he makes up for with good positioning, which will only get better, and an active stick. Chances are the kid is still growing too.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
Too bad for the Islanders that Colorado will pick before them. There's probably a 50% chance Colorado passes on any of the big 4 that are left just to draft Murphy. Our fetish for undersized PMD is legendary and our scouts have a "crazy like a fox" attitude about them as well.

If the Avs take him then that will most likely make him the 2nd overall pick behind Edmonton - larssens at #1, Avs - Murphy - #2, sens- Landeskog -#3....that would leave RNH and who ever is at 4 will be creamy in their pants to land RNH....it will be the Panthers or the Isles.

If the Panthers get RNH then the Isles have to take Hamilton IMO...and try trade for a 2nd 1st rounder with their 2 2nd rounders to get either Rattie, Bartschi, Khoklachev.

side note - both Rattie and Bartschi play on the same team as Nino..I don't know if they play on the same line as Nino but at least they will have a higher comfortbility knowing they already played together on the same team.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
if Im the Isles and I'm picking 5th, i'd trade back a few slots to about 9 or 10 and take Duncan Siemens while picking up a few extra 2nd's in the process.

Package a few of those 2nds to move back up to the late first, and grab Select Matt Puempel who will slip because of surgery

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The Isles are in position with alot of real good prospects plus a very very young roster to be able to take a wing for the fences. from what it sounds like Murphy could be the most skilled in the entire draft. I would not be surprised the Isles take the gamble

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
The Isles are in position with alot of real good prospects plus a very very young roster to be able to take a wing for the fences. from what it sounds like Murphy could be the most skilled in the entire draft. I would not be surprised the Isles take the gamble

Agree with your thinking but I don't think its necessarily swinging for the fences to get a second first round pick...remember we have 2 2nd round picks..lets say 35th and 50th..and lets not forget we have Nabby just waiting to be traded (Detroit). I believe he can be traded once the season over without going thru waivers again..I have to double check that though. Presumely that would give us 3 chips to trade for a second 1st rounder. If we were to swing for the fences at least in my mind this is my version.
1) we pick at 5 = Murphy
2)we trade our 2012 1st round pick, our 2nd round pick (35) along with A. Ness to land a pick between 6-10 to get D. Hamilton. ...why would we do this because essentially we would be getting a "draft pick advance" if you will,.. on next yrs draft..we don't have to wait another year to get a quality big 2-way d-man and we give up out 2012 1st round pick which = a wash, plus give up our 2nd (35) and maybe the 50th and A.Ness which will be totally expendable because of getting Murphy as compensation for the advance. A team may go for that...can't say which team as of yet cuz the draft order isn;t set
3) we trade Nabby and our 3rd round pick (65) to Detroit to get their 1st rounder which will be 20th -30th. We try and land Rattie or Kohklev (sp) or Bartschi.

Now that would be swinging for the fences and I don't think its all that far fetched or impossible to do but highly unlikely

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Agree with your thinking but I don't think its necessarily swinging for the fences to get a second first round pick...remember we have 2 2nd round picks..lets say 35th and 50th..and lets not forget we have Nabby just waiting to be traded (Detroit). I believe he can be traded once the season over without going thru waivers again..I have to double check that though. Presumely that would give us 3 chips to trade for a second 1st rounder. If we were to swing for the fences at least in my mind this is my version.
1) we pick at 5 = Murphy
2)we trade our 2012 1st round pick, our 2nd round pick (35) along with A. Ness to land a pick between 6-10 to get D. Hamilton. ...why would we do this because essentially we would be getting a "draft pick advance" if you will,.. on next yrs draft..we don't have to wait another year to get a quality big 2-way d-man and we give up out 2012 1st round pick which = a wash, plus give up our 2nd (35) and maybe the 50th and A.Ness which will be totally expendable because of getting Murphy as compensation for the advance. A team may go for that...can't say which team as of yet cuz the draft order isn;t set
3) we trade Nabby and our 3rd round pick (65) to Detroit to get their 1st rounder which will be 20th -30th. We try and land Rattie or Kohklev (sp) or Bartschi.

Now that would be swinging for the fences and I don't think its all that far fetched or impossible to do but highly unlikely

No its impossible and far fetched

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
No its impossible and far fetched

Just want to make sure that our reading comprehension is up to snuff...I did say "highly unlikely" Right?

The post was dealing with a hypothetical "swinging for the fences" theme..just so we know the context.

Besides...just to have fun with you and play devils advocate..what is so impossible about it.

1) picking at 4 or 5 is a definite where if RNH, Larssens are off the board the isles very well could take Murphy making A. Ness expendable. Very logical their..
2) trading a bunch of picks and a quality prospect for a single albeit top ten pick seems perfectly plausible..its happen before..not such a crazy idea
3)If...we can trade Nabby without going thru waivers..and I don't know if we can but this is where I assume we can for the sake of argument...it would be perfectly reasonable for the Redwings to trade say a 25th pick for the 65th pick plus a proven veteran goaltender especially with Ozzy about to retire.

the farfetched part of all this is that Snow may not have the skills OR THE BALLS to pull this off more than the actual strategy....

But I'll say it again for all the reading comprehensionly challenge..."HIGHLY UNLIKELY THIS WOULD HAPPEN.....JUST HAVING A LITTLE FUN WITH A PREVIOUS POST in the context that it was presented in"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->