Isles picking 4th or 5th= Ryan Murphy

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
The way the Isles are playing it looks like they will end up with the 4th -6th pick. If thats the case and Larsson and RNH out of reach I think the next best player for them is the dynamic, speedy, play making D-man that will bring excitment and people out of the NMVC seats.

Pass on SC and ryan Strome.

Can ryan Murphy step in and play in the NHL next Year?

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
The Isles really need more help up front at this point. They have a good litany of defensive prospects at their disposal (Hamonic, de Haan, Ness, Donovan, even Katic to an extent) and are basically barren at forward behind Niederreiter at this point, with Petrov and Kabanov being absolute wild cards.

They could use more size on defense but Murphy, while talented, is too similar a player to someone like de Haan for me to want the NYI to take this season.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
The Isles really need more help up front at this point. They have a good litany of defensive prospects at their disposal (Hamonic, de Haan, Ness, Donovan, even Katic to an extent) and are basically barren at forward behind Niederreiter at this point, with Petrov and Kabanov being absolute wild cards.

They could use more size on defense but Murphy, while talented, is too similar a player to someone like de Haan for me to want the NYI to take this season.

I don't see Dehaan or Hamonic having the same offensive abilities that Murphy can provide especially with skating..also De haan is starting to concern me with the injuries bug. granted Murphy will have to get better and bigger (i believe he will do both)on defense..but like you said will have others that can just stay at home and play defense....to get a player as talented as Murphy doesn't come around that often...solid, big strong stay home d-man come in every draft. Arron Ness is a few years away and although is having a better season this year from what I understand he still isn't a Ryan Murphy which would make him great trade bait along with our 2 nd rounders for a 1st rounder (Streit and Murphy on the PP)..absolutely luv Donovan.

Agreed with you we need offense thats why RNH is my first choice ..just don't think he will be available and I'm not sold on SC or Strome ..at least yet..rather have Murphy

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
i never saw this murphy kid play but man does he sound electric or what? the isles are loaded behind on the barn and it might be the right time for snow to swing for the fences sort of like when bowtie took Bossy in 77 I blieve....

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Everyone says that Murphy is a special kind of player. Steve Spott says Lando RNH Strome SC Larsson are all great players but Murphy has that special wow factor. You dont come across him very often. He's different from all the rest in that he'd be easily #1 overall if he were 6'1" 200 pounds. Someone will take him early and will get a very good player.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
History would suggest the Isles would take a forward with their first pick. If they Larsson thats the way I would guess the Isles go.

Murphy is an intriguing prospect. I think the combine will have a big effect on where he gets drafted because scouts can get a real feel for how big he is.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
I love murphy but I feel that Islander need a D like Douggie Hamilton meaning a D with size and grit and alot of offensive ability. Murphy should get drafted by columbus or florida but not islander.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I love murphy but I feel that Islander need a D like Douggie Hamilton meaning a D with size and grit and alot of offensive ability. Murphy should get drafted by columbus or florida but not islander.

Yes please ;).

Islanders need to take a forward. They have Hamonic and deHaan among others that are similar to Hamilton. Take Huberdeau or Strome.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Yes please ;).

Islanders need to take a forward. They have Hamonic and deHaan among others that are similar to Hamilton. Take Huberdeau or Strome.

If the Isles miss out on the top 4 I'd like either Strome or Huberduea. But if the Isles feel like Murphy is the BPA, I'd be fine with the selection. Who knows maybe he has a growth spurt in his future :sarcasm:

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
I don't know why everybody is saying the Isles need a forward and are loaded on defense. Besides Neidderreiter, they have blue chip forward prospects Cizikas and Anders Lee, along with promising forward prospects Rakshani, Ullstrom, Brock Nelson, not to mention wild cards Petrov and Kabanov. Plus with all the young forwards playing on the NHL squad, they might not have more than one forward spot available on the top 3 lines (after Neidderreiter). Meanwhile, on defense, they don't have a dearth of crease clearers (only Hamonic), and the only ones we can get in free agency are generally 2nd tier and injury prone. If Larsson is unavailable, then Dougie Hamilton is a perfect fit for the Isles organizational needs.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I don't know why everybody is saying the Isles need a forward and are loaded on defense. Besides Neidderreiter, they have blue chip forward prospects Cizikas and Anders Lee, along with promising forward prospects Rakshani, Ullstrom, Brock Nelson, not to mention wild cards Petrov and Kabanov. Plus with all the young forwards playing on the NHL squad, they might not have more than one forward spot available on the top 3 lines (after Neidderreiter). Meanwhile, on defense, they don't have a dearth of crease clearers (only Hamonic), and the only ones we can get in free agency are generally 2nd tier and injury prone. If Larsson is unavailable, then Dougie Hamilton is a perfect fit for the Isles organizational needs.

You really didnt just Cizikas is a blue chip prospect did you? Hes a solid player thats leading his St. Mikes Majors team for sure but hes far from blue chip. Blue chip to me is 1st line potential. Niederreiter is the only one that fits that bill.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
You really didnt just Cizikas is a blue chip prospect did you? Hes a solid player thats leading his St. Mikes Majors team for sure but hes far from blue chip. Blue chip to me is 1st line potential. Niederreiter is the only one that fits that bill.

I agree I would say Cizikas has potential to be a 15-20G 15-20A shutdown center throughout his career.

As for the Isles needing forwards, I disagree, sure after Nino they have no bluechip forwards in the minors, but in the NHL they have Bailey, Okposo, Tavares, and even Grabner who are all bluechip forwards. Outside of Hamonic and DeHann the Isles really don't have any bluechip defenseman.

I just hope they take the BPA, whether that be a forward of defenseman I don't care.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I'm not sure Murphy is clear cut over Hamilton.

Its real simple. If you want to go for the big time boom player you go with Murphy. Thats IF you think you can develop him correctly. If you want the solid more sure prospect, you go with Hamilton. Hamilton is considered a offensive dman that can play in all 3 zones but no one compares to Murphy in offense in this draft. Larsson is very solid but he does have the flash Ryan does.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009

People need to understand that Florida doesn't need a defenseman. They will pick a forward in the first round.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Is Murphy falling because of his size or are other prospects just surpassing him with their play?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Is Murphy falling because of his size or are other prospects just surpassing him with their play?

I'm not sure he actually is falling. No one really knows the opinion on him from GMs. Remember thats where it counts. He sure isnt dropping because of production. Kitchener misses him so badly, he's there MVP. Without him, the team just doesnt go. I guess size plays a bit of a factor bc teams are wondering if he'll be able to over come it. He plays a game where he can...its a tough call but hes gonna be a star imo.

BennyBST

Apr 16, 2007
Fairfield CT

Not a blue chipper, but a sure-fire bottom 6 role player.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Niether. Hes not falling and if he was it wouldn't (or shouldn't be) for size and definitely isn't play. Murphy isn't putting up the same 2+ PPG he was at the start but he's ridiculously important to Kitchener and they've looked completely lost without him. Arguably the best player on the team, and thats ahead of Landeskog and potential CHL player of the year Akeson.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I'm not sure he actually is falling. No one really knows the opinion on him from GMs. Remember thats where it counts. He sure isnt dropping because of production. Kitchener misses him so badly, he's there MVP. Without him, the team just doesnt go. I guess size plays a bit of a factor bc teams are wondering if he'll be able to over come it. He plays a game where he can...its a tough call but hes gonna be a star imo.

Niether. Hes not falling and if he was it wouldn't (or shouldn't be) for size and definitely isn't play. Murphy isn't putting up the same 2+ PPG he was at the start but he's ridiculously important to Kitchener and they've looked completely lost without him. Arguably the best player on the team, and thats ahead of Landeskog and potential CHL player of the year Akeson.

Thanks for the feedback... Can he play defense? I've seen him compared to being better offensively than Mike Green but his size and defensive play are a concern

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad