Eklund Rumor: Isles May talk to Varlamov

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'd give Lehner 3/16.5. I see that being fair, gives Lehner a chance at another contract at 30 and there's still a bridge to Sorokin.

I get not giving Lee 7-8 years but not giving Lehner a good short-term contract is extremely risky.

Except it's not about fair is it? I'm sure Lou would do that deal in day of the week but Lehner would not and that's the problem.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Why? Lehner helped win the Jennings Trophy and nominated for Vezina, great teammate, great size.... But our goal is a goalie from Russia whose an unknown, especially on the smaller ice rink? Where is the logic?

He is an unknown for sure. However, there is a consensus that Sorokin is the best goalie in the world who isn't in the NHL. If convincing Sorokin to come over is dependent on bringing in Varlamov, then I think it's the right decision to make. Having a goalie that we can build around for the next 10+ years is something that this franchise certainly can use.

Now was last year a breakout year or a career year for Lehner? I honestly don't know the answer.

I'm really happy that he has gotten his life and his career back in order. But there is also risk in signing him to a long term deal. With all that said, obviously I wouldn't be upset one bit if he was brought back on a 3 year deal. But I really do want Sorokin to come over, and I can see how signing Varlamov would be a big influence in Sorokin's decision next year.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Lehner is not that good, thats why. Giving him the money him and his agent are most likely asking for would be dumb.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given how well Lehner did for the Islanders last year I'm surprised to hear this. Then again it's an Eklund rumor so it may not happen.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Robin Lehner's career .918 (ried for 15th all time) seems to have been dismissed completely by the majority of the hockey world. Consider the circumstances under which he's accrued most of his years and it becomes all the more astonishing that most people refuse to consider the possibility that he might just be an elite goalie. Re-sign him.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Perhaps this is just Lou's way of putting some pressure on Lehner? Talk to Varlamov, put a rumour out, give Lehner a reason to cave in a bit if he really wants to stay.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Robin Lehner's career .918 (ried for 15th all time) seems to have been dismissed completely by the majority of the hockey world. Consider the circumstances under which he's accrued most of his years and it becomes all the more astonishing that most people refuse to consider the possibility that he might just be an elite goalie. Re-sign him.

Varlamov has a career .916 even after a poor 18-19, most of it behind a defense as bad if not worse than Lehner. He had a 0.920 the season before and his peak season was every bit as good as Lehner’s last season, except he played a lot more games, and also was a Vezina finalist.

This would be about buying low and with less commitment on a goalie just as talented as Lehner and utilizing that money elsewhere. Varlamov just turned 31 - even a modest three year deal takes him till only 34. The fact that it may help Sorokin settle is a minor plus at best, this is about value plain and simple. Maybe it affords you also the chance to re-sign Greiss as that great backup/1B.

I actually think there would be some pretty shrewd logic in this for the Islanders...

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->