Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
NEED LEAFS HOCKEY.

giphy.gif

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So, Leivo is 7th in the league in primary points/60 over the last two years, more or less tied with McDavid and Matthews, but sure, he doesn't ever score. Totally carried by Matt Martin, with a worse linemate he'd probably not even be top 20.

Some of us might have pumped Leivo too much. That the sample size is small enough for quite a regression was always a chance. (Though, even if he had a substantial regression, his point production, shot metrics, and micro stats would all still point towards him being a mid six player already.)

Anyway. It really seems to me that there's some counter-reaction to that, because I have no idea why people would otherwise go to such lengths to discredit him and what he does. To recap. He plays highly irregularly with limited ice time, mostly with extremely limited linemates, and he produces primary points at a top 10 rate in the league over the last two years, with every single metric painting him in a favorable light. Yet there are so many who want to claim he does absolutely nothing with what chance he's given.

It's just absurd. I can't remember another case where a prospect comes up and does that well compared to opportunity given, and has a large portion of the fanbase seemingly rooting against him.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
So, Leivo is 7th in the league in primary points/60 over the last two years, more or less tied with McDavid and Matthews, but sure, he doesn't ever score. Totally carried by Matt Martin, with a worse linemate he'd probably not even be top 20.

Some of us might have pumped Leivo too much. That the sample size is small enough for quite a regression was always a chance. (Though, even if he had a substantial regression, his point production, shot metrics, and micro stats would all still point towards him being a mid six player already.)

Anyway. It really seems to me that there's some counter-reaction to that, because I have no idea why people would otherwise go to such lengths to discredit him and what he does. To recap. He plays highly irregularly with limited ice time, mostly with extremely limited linemates, and he produces primary points at a top 10 rate in the league over the last two years, with every single metric painting him in a favorable light. Yet there are so many who want to claim he does absolutely nothing with what chance he's given.

It's just absurd. I can't remember another case where a prospect comes up and does that well compared to opportunity given, and has a large portion of the fanbase seemingly rooting against him.

Lol good thing leafs brass knows better and signed him

Reactions: Macallan18

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Jeremy Williams comes to mind.
Had good AHL numbers, was called up 4 times.

2005-06 1gp 1g
2006-07 1gp 1g
2007-08 18gp 2g
2008-09 11gp 5g 2a

Sent back to the AHL and then went over to the Rangers, couldn't make it there so he went to Europe.
Man he had a wicked shot didn't he?

Reactions: Elephanto

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Those stats are heavily buoyed by a small sample size and a couple of big nights. Comparing his p/60 to McDavid and Matthews is only absurd thing I'm seeing. Leivo hasn't done enough to steal someone's spot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I keep thinking this is the PGT when I open it, title needs to change.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Holy moley, that is so cool. I had no idea.

Those stats are heavily buoyed by a small sample size and a couple of big nights. Comparing his p/60 to McDavid and Matthews is only absurd thing I'm seeing. Leivo hasn't done enough to steal someone's spot.

He did say the sample size is small and that "some of us might have pumped Leivo too much" so what's your issue exactly? Not sure what's wrong with giving us the numbers and it's true, he has gotten nowhere near the credit he deserves from a huge portion of this fanbase.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I guess we'll see the Isles Backup tonight?
Are Reilly and Zaitsev expected to play? Martin still sitting?
Looking forward to this one, feels like I haven't been to a game in a while.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

Well, perhaps the fanbase rooting against him are Babcock's "can do no wrong" fans, and it is his decision not to play Leivo. If in fact Leivo is a very good hockey player being stupidly benched by a coach with myopia, that seriously affects the infalability of Babcock, so the fanbase has to tear Leivo down to make him fit the narrative.
Don't get me wrong, I know Babcock can coach, but his player selection (Martin, Polak Kommy with Kadri, not playing Dermott and Leivo and Kappy) is just depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad