Pre-Game Talk: Isles @ Leafs - 11/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Full GDT to follow sometime tomorrow, but I am still working on it... so here you go for now:

crackiswack.jpg

Last 10: New York 4-6-0; Toronto 5-4-1

Season series: This is the first of three meetings between the New York Islanders and Toronto Maple Leafs. The teams played some high-scoring games in 2012-13, with the Islanders winning two of three. Nazem Kadri of the Maple Leafs led all scorers with four goals, including a hat trick in Toronto's only win, a 5-4 overtime decision on Feb. 28.

Big story: Kadri won't be in the lineup Tuesday as he serves the finale of a three-game suspension for an illegal hit on Minnesota Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom. Another masked man, Evgeni Nabokov, will be missing from the Islanders lineup for possibly several weeks. He was placed on injured reserve Monday and Anders Nilsson recalled from Bridgeport of the American Hockey League.

Team Scope:

Islanders: Kevin Poulin has been getting a longer look in the New York crease, starting three consecutive games in the past week, and he ended up playing most of Saturday's 5-4 shootout win against the Detroit Red Wings after Nabokov went down with a groin injury.

Now the 23-year-old has the chance to help the Islanders climb in the Metropolitan Division standings with Nabokov set to miss at least four weeks, according to Newsday. Poulin has a 2.68 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in 29 career NHL appearances over four seasons.

"I think every player that works his way up from the minors, every player who pays his dues, wants that opportunity," coach Jack Capuano told Newsday. "Kevin's no different than Brock Nelson or Aaron Ness or Matt Donovan. He's going to get to play some more hockey in a very different role."

Maple Leafs: Air Canada Centre has provided some quality home cooking so far, as Toronto carries a 7-2-0 mark into Tuesday's action. The Maple Leafs started a five-game homestand with a 4-2 win against the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday, salvaging a split of a home-and-home.

They also made a transaction that day, acquiring forwards Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz from the Anaheim Ducks. Staubitz will report to the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies, but Holland found himself on the first line at practice Monday, centering James van Riemsdyk and Joffrey Lupul. Phil Kessel has the flu and was not present for practice.

"It's not just a short-term solution," general manager Dave Nonis told the National Post about the trade for Holland. "We look at the long term for him and we think he has the potential to be a long-term player for us. Whether or not he continues to contribute here will depend on his play."

Who's hot: Islanders captain John Tavares has two goals and six assists during a five-game point streak. Casey Cizikas has goals in consecutive games. … Mason Raymond has two goals and two assists during a three-game point streak for the Maple Leafs, while van Riemsdyk had a two-goal game Saturday against the Sabres.

Injury report: New York forward Thomas Vanek (upper body) has missed the past four games. In addition to Nabokov, defensemen Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) and Brian Strait (upper body) are on injured reserve. … Toronto forward Tyler Bozak (lower body) practiced Monday but is on long-term IR and not eligible to return until Nov. 21. Forward Dave Bolland (ankle) is on injured reserve and defenseman Mark Fraser (lower body) is day-to-day.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Nice GTD! I live in Toronto lol, and let me tell you, you can't turn on the tv without hearing about this guy...and I'm not talking about Phil Kessel. LOL he's just a disaster. It's great comedy.

Anyways, the Leafs are ripe for the picking. Tons of injuries. This is totally a winnable game.

If we play like we did in the 3rd period of the RedWing game we'll smoke em. But with the way things have been going this year, who knows what Isles team is gonna show up.

Let's go boys!
4-2 Isles!

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Nice GTD! I live in Toronto lol, and let me tell you, you can't turn on the tv without hearing about this guy...and I'm not talking about Phil Kessel. LOL he's just a disaster. It's great comedy.

Anyways, the Leafs are ripe for the picking. Tons of injuries. This is totally a winnable game.

If we play like we did in the 3rd period of the RedWing game we'll smoke em. But with the way things have been going this year, who knows what Isles team is gonna show up.

Let's go boys!
4-2 Isles!

Me too. What a train wreck.

I'd like to go to the game but StubHub wants the same money, for two decent tickets, as an Air Canada return airfare and a night at the Mariott. Not kidding.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Me too. What a train wreck.

I'd like to go to the game but StubHub wants the same money, for two decent tickets, as an Air Canada return airfare and a night at the Mariott. Not kidding.

Yeesh. What are Blue Jays prices like? Normal? Very low?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Yeesh. What are Blue Jays prices like? Normal? Very low?

below face value outside the Rogers Centre, up to game time, regardless of opponent.

I got to see my favourite hitter ever, Don Mattingly, while still in his prime, a few rows back of home plate for face value.

Leaf games are a whole other world. Was lucky enough to have IBM take me to a game last year, gold seats (not Platinum) with their expense account - expensive night for them. Completely unaffordable for the average fan though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
below face value outside the Rogers Centre, up to game time, regardless of opponent.

I got to see my favourite hitter ever, Don Mattingly, while still in his prime, a few rows back of home plate for face value.

Leaf games are a whole other world. Was lucky enough to have IBM take me to a game last year, gold seats (not Platinum) with their expense account - expensive night for them. Completely unaffordable for the average fan though.

I assume you had a good time??

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I assume you had a good time??

the ACC gets a lot of flack for the suits in the Platinums, never making it back to their seats after the intermission, yada yada...but the place erupts when the Leafs score. Lots of energy in that place. Pretty unique.

The Jays is like watching baseball with the mute button on. Wrigley being the complete opposite, like two different worlds.

But yes, great time. I don't care much for the corporate nonsense - the game is beautiful. I haven't seen JT play live since 2011, would be nice to see him net THREE and take over the scoring race on Tuesday.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
the ACC gets a lot of flack for the suits in the Platinums, never making it back to their seats after the intermission, yada yada...but the place erupts when the Leafs score. Lots of energy in that place. Pretty unique.

The Jays is like watching baseball with the mute button on. Wrigley being the complete opposite, like two different worlds.

But yes, great time. I don't care much for the corporate nonsense - the game is beautiful. I haven't seen JT play live since 2011, would be nice to see him net THREE and take over the scoring race on Tuesday.

any idea if Vanek plays? I was offered him in a trade in my pool BUT I need to know if he's expected to go

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
any idea if Vanek plays? I was offered him in a trade in my pool BUT I need to know if he's expected to go

check back after the morning skate on this board. There will be a tweet from @stapenewsday by then. Also wondering whether Kessel will play since he's got the flu.

I have a feeling Vanek will play.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Mayor Ford!!!! Guys a nut. Could you imagine Bloomberg pulling some of this stuff? Haha I have a friend from Toronto and although I personally have never been he tells me it's a pretty great place. Would love go visit one day!! But I guess a hockey game is out of the question after hearing what redbull said. Lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
check back after the morning skate on this board. There will be a tweet from @stapenewsday by then. Also wondering whether Kessel will play since he's got the flu.

I have a feeling Vanek will play.

Kessel hasn't missed a game since 2009 he will likely go

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I'm going up to the ACC with my gf January 7. We have center ice seats in 322 that I got on StubHub for $150 each :shakehead

I'm looking to have an enjoyable time without any BS, so can anyone clue me in as to whether Leafs fans are as bad as Rags and Flyers fans?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm going up to the ACC with my gf January 7. We have center ice seats in 322 that I got on StubHub for $150 each :shakehead

I'm looking to have an enjoyable time without any BS, so can anyone clue me in as to whether Leafs fans are as bad as Rags and Flyers fans?

Real Leaf fans can't get in the building. It's (well the lower bowl at least) full of suits.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Toronto is without 2 of their C's. They're REALLY weak up the middle and their prize acquisition David Clarkson hasn't done a thing this year so far. Toronto is ripe for the picking.

I just hope Bernier doesn't play and show off what we missed out on.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
excellent pre-GDT, makes me look forward (as I do to all of them-great job everyone) to the real one. Toronto is ripe for the picking but they, like the LAK, have alot of big bodies which I don't think we match up terribly well with. You know Boulton will be suiting up, as will Carkner, so gotta see who sits-I assume CMac. We need to piece together some wins and in regulation would be great, so hopefully they start tonight !!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The Isles are carrying Boulton for games like this - if he doesn't dress, why have him take up a roster spot? So, if Vanek is back and Boulton is in the lineup, who sits?

If its Brock, I'm very annoyed. PMB seems ripe for a day off, no? Still need someone else in the press box though.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
Toronto is without 2 of their C's. They're REALLY weak up the middle and their prize acquisition David Clarkson hasn't done a thing this year so far. Toronto is ripe for the picking.

The way Carlyle has been rotating our goalies, Bernier is expected to play tonight.
Good luck tonight guys.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
excellent pre-GDT, makes me look forward (as I do to all of them-great job everyone) to the real one. Toronto is ripe for the picking but they, like the LAK, have alot of big bodies which I don't think we match up terribly well with. You know Boulton will be suiting up, as will Carkner, so gotta see who sits-I assume CMac. We need to piece together some wins and in regulation would be great, so hopefully they start tonight !!

Agree, Boulton likely to play, especially on the road. If Vanek goes, they'll have to sit two forwards.

Vanek - Tavares - Okposo
Bouchard - Nielsen - Bailey
Grabner - Regin - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - MacDonald
Boulton - Nelson

I'd hate to see Brock sit, he's been so good lately. The two worst players have probably been Bailey and Grabner to be quite honest.

Capuano's a wild card. I won't even guess.

Bernier and Reimer have been lights-out all year. Reimer's probably outplayed Bernier to be honest - both spectacular though. I'd like either one.

Leafs will be without their top three centres: Bolland, Bozak, Kadri (susp) and Kessel missed practice yesterday with the flu. Peter Holland was taking shifts as the #1 C the other day.

They still have offensive weapons though - Kessel (if he plays), Lupul, JVR, Raymond has played great, Clarkson is playing well but his stats are horrible 10-0-3-3, Rielly (picked right after Reinhart) has been a healthy scratch, has struggled defensively (like Donovan) despite his potential.

Phaneuf has been excellent this year (and was very good last year)

They are a very good team, though, they get outshot every game. Terrible "CORSI" - but they win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->