Proposal: Isles-Kings

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Unless McNabb has a great year. I don't see him getting protected. Especially if some odd reason someone like Kempe needs to be protected. Also with Gravel and Forbort coming up...it might be fine not to protect him.

Kempe doesn't need to be protected. Neither does Gravel. And you'd protect Forbort over McNabb? Why exactly?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Kempe doesn't need to be protected. Neither does Gravel. And you'd protect Forbort over McNabb? Why exactly?

Does Kempe's time in the SHL count. W. Nylander needs to be protected and Kempe did the same thing Nylander did at the same time (minus a couple of games). So why him but not the other. I'll hold out until I hear for sure. Gravel does need to be protected because next year will be his 3rd year in either the AHL or NHL. And I didn't say I'd protect Forbort over McNabb. I said with Gravel and Forbort ready for the NHL...it wouldn't hurt if the Kings didn't protect McNabb because they are there to cover for the loss.

Plus I'd like to have Gaborik, Mersch and another forward to protect over one McNabb type Dman.

But back to the proposal...Toffoli is on the untouchable list.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Does Kempe's time in the SHL count. W. Nylander needs to be protected and Kempe did the same thing Nylander did at the same time (minus a couple of games). So why him but not the other. I'll hold out until I hear for sure. Gravel does need to be protected because next year will be his 3rd year in either the AHL or NHL. And I didn't say I'd protect Forbort over McNabb. I said with Gravel and Forbort ready for the NHL...it wouldn't hurt if the Kings didn't protect McNabb because they are there to cover for the loss.

Plus I'd like to have Gaborik, Mersch and another forward to protect over one McNabb type Dman.

Sabres have to protect Linus Ullmark because of his time in the SHL. I mean we won't protect him but he'll be exposed for that reason

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

I was basing it off the thread on here that says Kempe is exempt.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

just going off of generalfanager's expansion tool...Kempe is exempt.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
NYI and LAK are both teams with unproductive/often hurt players they'd like to dump. The difference is that NYI's bad deals have 2 years left whereas LAK's bad deals have 4-5 years left. Unless they had a match trading bad contracts, there's no deal. At any rate, none of those deals would help LAK in the short term because NYI would want to move greater or equal short term salary out if they're going to take on additional years of bad (e.g. in a deal involving Grabovski and Gaborik). Besides, it looks like LAK actually needs its wingers to be productive.

At any rate, nobody wants to talk about those moves now.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
NYI and LAK are both teams with unproductive/often hurt players they'd like to dump. The difference is that NYI's bad deals have 2 years left whereas LAK's bad deals have 4-5 years left. Unless they had a match trading bad contracts, there's no deal. At any rate, none of those deals would help LAK in the short term because NYI would want to move greater or equal short term salary out if they're going to take on additional years of bad (e.g. in a deal involving Grabovski and Gaborik). Besides, it looks like LAK actually needs its wingers to be productive.

At any rate, nobody wants to talk about those moves now.

Who, Brown? Yeah, we got it. No one else is really on a bad deal. Gaborik can retire at any time - there is no penalty for the Kings. He's still productive on the Kings' top line anyway, so I wouldn't want him to retire. Unless you're suggesting that Jeff Carter (one of the best contracts in the league) or Anze Kopitar are bad contracts. Other than those four, we've got Alec Martinez at $4 million and Jonathan Quick at $5.8 million, no one else is on a contract longer than four years.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I was never crazy about Carter over the years but after watching him last year he is exactly what the Isles need.

If the Kings trade Carter then it'll signal a total rebuild. He's easily one of the top 3 2nd line centers in the NHL at a $5.3 million cap hit until he retires.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Who, Brown? Yeah, we got it. No one else is really on a bad deal. Gaborik can retire at any time - there is no penalty for the Kings. He's still productive on the Kings' top line anyway, so I wouldn't want him to retire.

Prickly much? Brown and Gaborik are obviously two bad contracts. NYI's 2 bad contracts (right now) are Grabovski and Kulemin vs. LAK's Brown and Gaborik. NYI's are worse in the short term, LAK's are worse in the long term. This isn't controversial.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Prickly much? Brown and Gaborik are obviously two bad contracts. NYI's 2 bad contracts (right now) are Grabovski and Kulemin vs. LAK's Brown and Gaborik. NYI's are worse in the short term, LAK's are worse in the long term. This isn't controversial.

You're not putting Ladd in there with the bad contracts and it should be. So we have two bad short-term contracts and one bad long-term.

Yitz

May 9, 2009
As a fan of both teams, the fairest trade I can think of would be Toffoli for Barzal. Isles get better immediately and the Kings save cap space by replacing Toffoli with a high-potential player on an ELC. In the end, I think the Kings still say "no" because they're better off keeping Holy Toffoli and cutting salary elsewhere.

**Edit**

I wouldn't mind Nelson on the Kings, but I'm not sure what they could give the Isles in return. Kings need to hold on to all of their (potentially) NHL-ready prospects like Mersch, Kempe, and Gravel and the Islanders really don't have any use for more draft picks, so it doesn't seem like there's any deal to be made between my two favorite teams.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
As a fan of both teams, the fairest trade I can think of would be Toffoli for Barzal. Isles get better immediately and the Kings save cap space by replacing Toffoli with a high-potential player on an ELC. In the end, I think the Kings still say "no" because they're better off keeping Holy Toffoli and cutting salary elsewhere.

**Edit**

I wouldn't mind Nelson on the Kings, but I'm not sure what they could give the Isles in return. Kings need to hold on to all of their (potentially) NHL-ready prospects like Mersch, Kempe, and Gravel and the Islanders really don't have any use for more draft picks, so it doesn't seem like there's any deal to be made between my two favorite teams.

You know I never thought of a trade like that but it makes total sense. Im so excited about Barzal but i wish he was in his 2nd or 3rd year of his pro career to help JT now. He's going to be fun to watch no doubt but JT needs to win now. I feel the same way if its a player like Pacioretty coming back in a trade for Barzal.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Again no thanks Toffoli is proven he can score in las system and Barzal has not proven anything.Kings aren't as much in cap hell This kings either let brown go in expansion or buy him out thus gaining the space we need. Its not that big of a deal Toffoli will be re-signed by any means we need to

Yitz

May 9, 2009
You know I never thought of a trade like that but it makes total sense. Im so excited about Barzal but i wish he was in his 2nd or 3rd year of his pro career to help JT now. He's going to be fun to watch no doubt but JT needs to win now. I feel the same way if its a player like Pacioretty coming back in a trade for Barzal.

Again no thanks Toffoli is proven he can score in las system and Barzal has not proven anything.Kings aren't as much in cap hell This kings either let brown go in expansion or buy him out thus gaining the space we need. Its not that big of a deal Toffoli will be re-signed by any means we need to

Like I said, it's probably fair value but it favors the Islanders and so the Kings would definitely pass. The Islanders fan in me would be delighted to see Toffoli lighting up the league next to JT, but the Kings fan in me wants to rip out my hair thinking about trading Top Titty for a ****ing prospect - even a great prospect.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Like I said, it's probably fair value but it favors the Islanders and so the Kings would definitely pass. The Islanders fan in me would be delighted to see Toffoli lighting up the league next to JT, but the Kings fan in me wants to rip out my hair thinking about trading Top Titty for a ****ing prospect - even a great prospect.

No its not fair value Toffoli is a proven goal scorer Barzel is a prospect that hasn't proven a thing. I would never trade a 30 goal scorer who plays a 200 foot game. Talk about over rating a prospect :help:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Bailey + Pullock + 2nd for Toffoli + Greene/scuderi (cap reasons)

I think I would say no, but as a fan of both sides would this be close to fair value?

edit: I just saw another poster say they would think about trading Pullock for TT, so i am guessing I am out to lunch by adding bailey and a 2nd

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Toffoli is one of the few players I'd think about trading Pulock for, but that would be a tough pill to swallow.

Again Toffoli is not being trade for a prospect The king are in a win now situation not looking for futures not sure how else to tell you islander fans unless the trade makes us better today forget trying please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad