Newsday: Isles irked

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't get the value of asking players about something stupid the GM did.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Point out that the emperor has no clothes, AND that the fans deserve better than the joke that this organization has been as of late.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Crew, not to quibble, but all I saw here were quotes from players and Capuano. What are they supposed to do other than rally around their own team?

The really horrible thing is that the players have to answer all these questions because Snow think he's Bill Belichick, the a**.

Instead of the press asking the players what they think, I want the press to stop giving Snow marsh mellow interviews, like the one on Sportsnet.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I am sure the players are annoyed but they have to realize that nobody was taking shots at them. I like the "us against the world" closeness, I just wish the owner felt a duty to give these guys a fighting chance to compete. We have a fine group of players, built exclusively from the inside. I wonder if Chuck is irked at being publicly mocked. The boys need help and management has yet to provide it. This summer will be telling for me.

Last edited:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Instead of the press asking the players what they think, I want the press to stop giving Snow marsh mellow interviews, like the one on Sportsnet.

The press where, though? In Toronto? What does that matter to us? The only person who can make a stir is Staple, and he risks losing access.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

The problem is that if those shows do that, then no gm would ever want to go on the shows. I actually don't blame them, they're protecting their product.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I agree that the players can't be blamed for ownership/management errors, but I do think the media treatment of the Isles goes beyond Wang/Snow.

For AGES there have been elements in the Canadian hockey media who have enjoyed ragging on the Isles. Part of that is certainly the various incompetencies of the past 20 years. Part has been personal grudges in some cases (Healy, Ferraro, etc.). But I've also wondered whether there is an element of resentment that a US-based team is up there with the great Canadian dynasties and therefore they enjoy taking shots at the franchise. I know it sounds crazy and maybe it is, but I've noticed this for a LONG time. I actually had a brief email exchange with Steve Simmons back (I think) in the mid-90s b/c of an anti-Isles rant of his.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
As a Canadian and an Isles fan, there is no resentment. if there is, then it must come from the younger generation. The only resentment older (over 30) Canadian hockey fans have towards US-based hockey teams are the ones in the south, where it is more entertainment based fans and not fans that really know the game.

There are a ton of young people that had NO idea the Isles were a dynasty. I recently went to my cousin's wedding (Boston/NJ family) and speaking to one of his friends...he's apparently a MET/Jets/Nets fan...since it's like a family of teams..he does root for the Isles, but he had NO idea they were a dynasty...like ever...he just thought they always sucked.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I agree that the players can't be blamed for ownership/management errors, but I do think the media treatment of the Isles goes beyond Wang/Snow.

For AGES there have been elements in the Canadian hockey media who have enjoyed ragging on the Isles. Part of that is certainly the various incompetencies of the past 20 years. Part has been personal grudges in some cases (Healy, Ferraro, etc.). But I've also wondered whether there is an element of resentment that a US-based team is up there with the great Canadian dynasties and therefore they enjoy taking shots at the franchise. I know it sounds crazy and maybe it is, but I've noticed this for a LONG time. I actually had a brief email exchange with Steve Simmons back (I think) in the mid-90s b/c of an anti-Isles rant of his.

This is so ridiculous. Where was the anti-Red Wing agenda this last decade? This is a ridiculously paranoid sentiment.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Let's face it, the ridicule isn't only about the trade, the players played like **** this year. BUT, they don't deserve the backlash for the stupid trade.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This is so ridiculous. Where was the anti-Red Wing agenda this last decade? This is a ridiculously paranoid sentiment.

Although I'm tempted to respond in kind, I do realize that my post could be perceived that way so I'll let it slide. I tend not to be paranoid (or, hopefully, ridiculous ;)), and shake my head when other posters talk about an anti-Isles bias in the NHL offices, etc.. However, and I'm stating this as a subjective opinion, not as fact, I have perceived a long-term negativity towards the Isles, and I think I'm not imagining it. I've perceived a bias in favor of the 70s Habs and 80s Oilers dynasties versus the Isles. I note that the Isles' great players tend to be underrated as compared with the greats of those Habs and Oilers teams. And the negativity by some SLAM, TSN, etc. commentators has been a long-term, pre-Wang/Snow, thing.

Having said all of that, it's likely that this is a case of individual biases by ex-players (like Healy and Ferraro) and maybe some individual writers like Simmons. I'll acknowledge that it is not part of the national psyche in Canada and apologize for any offense taken by you or by our ridiculously paranoid and sensitive neighbors to the north (just kidding, really :)).

BTW, the recent great Detroit teams were just that, great, not a dynasty, and I was talking about dynasties specifically.

Last edited:

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
The Isles should be more irked with their 3rd period performance!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm thought more people would rag on management and not the players in this thread. Good to see shared accountability.

These are the same guys that have blown double digit third period leads.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
They should be "irked" about their own performances, and the turds manning the front office. Everything else is a product of those things.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
maybe they can revoke all of nhl networks employees' media passes......we wont be able to get any nationally televised......oh wait, nevermind

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am glad they take it personally. I also hope they are honest about their situation unlike say Travis, who was delusional about how good their defense is. Hopefully the criticism plants some seeds of discontent and they start demanding that management treat them better. But they too can play better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad