Rumor: Isles Interested in E. Staal if Nielsen does not re-sign

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
That happens and MY plan is to vomit. Staal is falling as fast as Cheechoo did. STAY AWAY

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I would think it would be Stamkos -> Nielsen -> Staal.

Too bad he's not mentioning Backes.

Would Backes not command too much term for long term plans? Going forward, Islanders have Tavares, Strome, and Barzal already as top 6 centers.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Would Backes not command too much term for long term plans? Going forward, Islanders have Tavares, Strome, and Barzal already as top 6 centers.

Not sure, depends on the situation but I would guess you're right that he wants term. But I'd rather give that term to Backes than Nielsen because the short term gain would be much better.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wouldn't mind a short term deal. Staal could really be an asset in the locker room for us, and could find his game again after a meh stint on the rags.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
Section 308
Wouldn't mind a short term deal. Staal could really be an asset in the locker room for us, and could find his game again after a meh stint on the rags.

It wasn't just a meh stint with the Rangers. Staal has been on a steady decline for the past 3 seasons, since Edler wrecked his knee.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It wasn't just a meh stint with the Rangers. Staal has been on a steady decline for the past 3 seasons, since Edler wrecked his knee.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if he wasn't on a steady decline, teams would be racing to offer him long term deals.

All the top free agents are going to look for term in their deals. Staal on a short term is a calculated gamble.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Looked like ass on the Rags.

He actually had one hell of a game versus us in MSG forgot which one.

I won't like it but as a buy low, we could do worse. Was hoping we were past this though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would think it would be Stamkos -> Nielsen -> Staal.

Too bad he's not mentioning Backes.

I was actually gonna say, with Backes on the market still why would Staal gather any interest other than a back up to the back up plan?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Giving up our 3rd best prospect and 2 2nds when we have the worst farm in the league now looks like a horrendous move, but Staal wasn't THAT bad for us.

He showed some flashes of his former 70 point self, particularly the game in Anaheim and the Letang OTL at MSG. That was when AV was actually using him correctly.

I'm convinced that AV had such a bad season that it had a seriously negative effect on the players. He literally put nearly every single player in a position to fail, Staal being one of the most egregious.

It's no coincidence that nearly every player on the team outside JT Miller had basically the worst years of the careers or regressed hard (Girardi, Staal, Hayes, Nash Kreider) and the team had its worst playoff showing since 2006. (Though 2011 team lost to Caps in 5 they at least were a young team and showed some signs of progression, and Callahan broke his leg like 3 games before the playoffs)

Bringing my FIRE AV sign to opening night, for sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->