isles draft??

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by malkovsby, Mar 26, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. malkovsby

malkovsby Registered User

supposing the draft order is:

ED
    OTT
    COL
    NYI

if edmonton drafts ryan-nugent hopkins over larsson i think the perceived order of prospects could be thrown for a big loop. Do the senators draft larsson or the often speculated landeskog? in the case of them taking landeskog do the islanders trade up to acquire larsson, or if he is taken, do they trade back out of the top 5? i know they have alot of needs but their top 6 of tavares, moulsen, neidereitter (if ready), neilsen, okposo, grabner is looking pretty strong for the future. Couturier is an option if he drops, but will they looking to develop him in a similar way that pittsburgh did with jordan staal? Also, if they opt for a defenceman, which is the most likely D to be taken by the isles?

id personally like to see them trade back, acquire a late first and take a run for bartschi if hes available. supposing the isles trade back once i wonder if its a possibility for pittsburgh to jump into the 7-10 spot with a package including a swap of firsts.

which leaves the question will bartschi be available around the 22-26 spot?

2. SLAPSHOT723

SLAPSHOT723 QU! Bobcats!

Home Page:
    The Senators are definitely taking Landeskog. He's just too perfect for the Sens for them to pass up on him.

I think we'll be drafting 5th, and if we are we're taking Dougie Hamilton. My top choice is obviously Larsson, but this draft should be about defense.

3. Zubrus Coffee Maker

Zubrus Coffee Maker Blinded by my Zubrus

i wouldn't put it by the Isles to take Hamilton or Murphy over Couturier, seeing as they have their top 2 centres of the future locked in (unless they plan on moving Couturier or Bailey to wing) and could use some defensive help.

4. danishh

danishh Registered User

i think it's fair to expect

EDM
    COL
    OTT
    FLA
    NYI

as the top 5 right now, barring lottery changes.

regardless of who edmonton picks, colorado's a bit of a wildcard. They could take any of RNH/Larsson/Landeskog.

5. KingJet*

KingJet* Guest

Edmonton - Larsson
    Ottawa - Couturier
    Colorado - Landeskog
    Florida - RNH
    NYI - Hamilton/Siemens/Murphy

6. malkovsby

malkovsby Registered User

no way ottawa passes on RNH or Landeskog if available..but with the islanders options at 5 i would expect them to trade down...im not sure about the scouting report on hamilton though if someone could enlighten me.

i know its a reach but if the isles traded down once to 7-8.. i would love pitts to package maybe despres, 1st, to move into the top ten and take a run at strome.

7. Fairenough

Fairenough Registered User

Would not surprise me to see them go with Strome or Huberdeau. That is their kind of pick (a bit under the radar).

8. WangMustGo

WangMustGo Registered User

With MacDonald going down I could definitely see Florida and even Ottawa passing them. Especially looking at the Isles schedule coming down the stretch, I don't think its unrealistic to see them finish with below 76 points.

Isles defense right now is terrible, and with DP starting a lot of games down the stretch I can't se them finishing off well.

I hope they trade up to draft Larsson, Say the Isles finish 3rd or 4th overall, what would it take to move up to get Larsson. Really hoping they win the lottery, however that is pretty doubtful.

9. pmorris

pmorris Registered User

That. Didn't MacDonald miss 20 games earlier this year and it also coincided with that awful losing streak? He's very underrated around the league.

10. Seph

Seph Registered User

Home Page:
    I agree the Isles need defense more than centers, the Islanders lack size up the middle pretty badly. The only centers with above average size in the system are Brock Nelson and Anders Lee, both of whom are quite a ways away from being ready. So I could see them being interested in Couturier. In which case, I would imagine Bailey would be moved to wing -- he's played wing for the Islanders in the past, and had his best extended stretch of play at that position.

11. WangMustGo

WangMustGo Registered User

Yes, Macdonald was easily their number 1 defenseman this season. He was the first line PP qb as well, and one of the couple of defenseman that could make a good outlet pass to the forwards. Both the PP will be worse and defense will be significantly worse.

12. Isles Drive 4 5

Isles Drive 4 5 Registered User

Remember we have 2 2nd round picks (approx 35 & 50th) along with Nabakov which, I believe, correct me if I'm wrong and on these boards I know someone will, use as trade bait. So with those chips we could possibly acquire a second 1st round pick ..maybe middle to late in the round...so we don't need to trade down. In this draft I don't mind trading the extra picks away ..quality over quanity in this draft.

In that happens I would luv to get any one of these 3 players...Bartschi, Rattie or Cokeakov (sp) along with Murphy at 5.

BTW...wouldn't pick Landeskog or S.C rather get Murphy, or Hamilton or Strome over those guys..

13. bluechipbonzo

bluechipbonzo Registered User

Let's clear up a few things.

In the post-lockout NHL, having size at centre is a BONUS, not a necessity. Ask Detroit. The Islanders are very happy with their centermen, and unless RNH is available (who would be the BPA after Larsson, and vice versa), the Islanders go defense.

The Islanders are not trading down at five. They traded up the last time such a big first round move was made (for Brock Nelson and before that, Calvin de Haan), and traded down in year one of their internal rebuild, 2008. That year, Snow had promised to pick, keep, and hold prospects, unlike Milbury who though unfortunate circumstances, damaged the prospect pool. If not for 2008, things would be a lot darker, but I digress.

For the Islanders, the centre positions are set for now and the forseeable future, with Tavares, Bailey, and Nielsen (for now Nielsen is the second lien centre, but should be usurped by the ever-improving Bailey within a season or two). Prospects such as David Ullstrom, Casey Cizikas, Brock Nelson, and Anders Lee help make centre the deepest position on the Islanders.

Taking Landeskog at three after Larsson and RNH are gone is a almost a certainty. This depends on El Nino's development to date. The Islanders may feel that they have enough forwards on the team and in their system, so this depends on where players like Hamilton, Murphy, and Siemens rank. If they choose fourth, the focus likely changes from forward to defense, with centreman Sean Couturier passed over here for Hamilton.

Hamilton brings much needed size on defense, with enough of an offensive skill set so as to not be one-dimensional. Murphy is enticing, but the Islanders have similar players already in the system. That is not to say Calvin de Haan has as much upside as Murphy (he doesn't) but he will be able to do the job, and projects as a puck-moving, smart decision making, power play quarterback. Likewise, having a player like El Nino in the system might mean the Islanders pass on Landeskog if they feel that Hamilton is close enough in value to the Kitchener captain.

He gives up a little speed to Murphy, and should play around the same size. Murphy has improved his decision making, but de Haan is far superior here, and will be able to move the puck better from the defensive zone. Murphy may or may not be able to skate the puck out of the defensive zone in the NHL- and because this is a matter of debate, the Islanders likely shy away from Murphy.

For non fans of the Islanders, making safe picks is part of the formula for Snow. Players with high character and intelligence tend to be favoured. Hamilton fits the bill here, not to mention the high skill set and size he brings.

Siemens is intruiging, and is no doubt high on the Islanders draft list, and sure to be picked if the Islanders pick in the 6-8th slots.

14. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

Lee has actually been moved to LW in college(which for a guy of his size and skating ability might be a good move)

15. kasper11

kasper11 Registered User

Home Page:
    1) The Isles will take the BPA. If that is a center, so be it. You can almost always move a center to wing if you need to, and you never know how players will develop.

2) Unless you are Snow, you don't know what the Isles will do. Snow will trade down if he is pretty sure the player he likes will still be available. If, for instance, Snow wants Siemens, I wouldn't be shocked to see him trade down to 7-8, grab an extra pick, and get his player knowing that some combination of Strome/Murphy/Hamilton/Huberdeau will most likely get chosen in the 5-6-7 spots.

The ONLY things we truly know about Snow at the draft is:
    1) He prized hockey sense
    2) He places great weight on the interview
    3) He isn't shy of making deals to get the player(s) he wants.

From 5 he could easily stay pat, move up to 2-3 or down to 7-8, depending on whether he thought he was getting good value.

16. Nolanitis

Nolanitis Registered User

with MacDonald down now, I can see the Isles picking 4th or 5th. Possibly even 3rd.

By the way, I was redirected to conform with league rules (cited?). Can the moderator who cited me please let me know why (so I do not do it again)

17. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout

Sorry, but I stopped reading near the top.

Don't talk in definitives. You aren't Garth Snow. Don't act like you know exactly what they will do. Hell, they don't even know what they will do...

18. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    Right now the player I feel most confident about in the draft is Coutrier going at #4.

19. Renbarg

Renbarg Registered User

This.

Garth's MO so far is to identify the player or players he wants and go after them, which means either trying to trade up or get more value and trade down (or standing pat). He is also not scared to go off the board, his list will probably not coincide with Red Line or the other scouting services. I wouldn't even try to guess what he is thinking.

As an aside, I don't like JT at center and hope/pray they move him to wing. Either way the center depth shouldn't have an affect on who they take.

20. Isles Drive 4 5

Isles Drive 4 5 Registered User

remember..he fired Janko so I don't have the same confidence if he tries and go off the board so he might be using one of the scouting services..lol

21. CREW99AW

CREW99AW Registered User

I seriously doubt,with scouts saying the top talent is in the top 8 picks,that Snow drops down from 4th/5th to a late first.:shakehead

Snow's not looking for 2-3 pieces in a package,in exchange for his high lottery pick.He'll want a high end youngster.What young,potential 1st line forward or young,potential top pairing defenseman can the Pens offer?

22. SLAPSHOT723

SLAPSHOT723 QU! Bobcats!

Home Page:
    JT is a center, and he will not be moved.

23. Joey Moss

Joey Moss 5-14-6-1

EDM - Larsson
    OTT - Landeskog
    COL - Nugent-Hopkins
    NYI - Couturier
    FLA - Strome

That's how I'd see it.

Tavares
    Couturier
    Nelson
    Cizikas