Speculation: Isles at the Olympics

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
I've been consumed by olympic talk the last couple of weeks on top of our season that's up and going. My question is what Isles could be in play to play in that tournament for their respective countries?

Barzal seems like a safe bet to make Canada in some capacity. Could Nelson or Lee sneak onto the US team? Could Varly or Sorokin be an option for Russia? Curious what anyone else thinks.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Id say Barzal is a safe bet too......Lee, maybe depending on how his year goes. Nelson doubtfull.....Varly maybe but with Vasilevsky and Bob, I doubt it he does....No one else on the team will make it.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Id say Barzal is a safe bet too......Lee, maybe depending on how his year goes. Nelson doubtfull.....Varly maybe but with Vasilevsky and Bob, I doubt it he does....No one else on the team will make it.
I think Varly has a decent chance, having outplayed Bob last season and into this one. They might still go Bob just on reputation, but looking at current play Varly is probably the better choice.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't think either Nelson or Lee make it. US has Eichel/Matthews to start down the middle, then it's a question of Hughes/Pavelski/Larkin and I guess Nelson. Lee is also pretty close but it's a pretty solid group ahead of him at LW.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Barzal has a decent shot but not set in stone.

For the US I think Nelson and Leddy have a small chance.

For Russia I think Vasilevsky is a lock and I’d say Varly has a good chance. I’d definitely take Varly over BoB.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't think either Nelson or Lee make it. US has Eichel/Matthews to start down the middle, then it's a question of Hughes/Pavelski/Larkin and I guess Nelson. Lee is also pretty close but it's a pretty solid group ahead of him at LW.

They'll be playing on a smaller ice surface (NHL size) for this Olympics I think, which may impact the direction they want to go with the roster. I could see a scenario where they want a guy like Lee for the PP (obviously Pavelski can do that too). Nelson has a shot to make it too if he plays the wing, but there's a pretty good group of Americans these days so who knows.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Depends on of they go all-star team or role players.
If they go the role player route, and if Bergeron can't play for some reason, could JGP be a possibility for 4C? I'm probably forgetting better options. :)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think Leddy stands a chance. Plenty of other mobile puck movers on defense that have a better all around game (Werenski, MacAvoy, Carlson -- not to mention Fox who I would slot ahead of Leddy and I still don't think he makes the team). If they want to throw in someone with pure offense to mix it up, they'll take Quinn Hughes.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Did I miss something? I thought the NHL players do not play in the Olympics

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did I miss something? I thought the NHL players do not play in the Olympics

They negotiated this summer I believe and now they're going again. Pretty sure they just wanted to skip the last one since it didn't provide a financial incentive for the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad