GDT: Isles at CBJ - The St. Valentine's Day Massacre Edition

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Absolutely will take the bet. However no contingencies. Are they making it or not?

Carolina is a better team if they had a better goalie. Even with that fact, they probably make it in over us due to schedule. Buffalo isn’t, but they aren’t surrounded by drama. Philly is probably out of time. But they’re better than us.

Considering this team would be vastly different without those two, I think it's difficult to say they are a playoff team without them. But for the sake of the bet, yes, they will. I think they even get a Metro spot but won't bet on it.

Carolina lacks game changing scoring and a goalie, they have Aho and Teravainen but other than that? Buffalo is actually the dark horse here imo, they seem inconsistent, our team has played better all year. Philly is definitely not better than us, pretenders every year, they have no reliable goalie for the stretch run (Hart is too young) and their defense is laughable.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Isles fan here in peace to get your fanbases outlook but that quote is not fair. You should really check out the facts of the case before throwing dirt on the mans name

"it was noted by physicians that two weeks prior to the battle with Cizikas, Castillo suffered a major concussion. One doctor testified that Castillo's concussion was severe enough that it should have kept him out of competition with physical contact for a full year."

The kids family chalked it up to an accident and did not want to ruin Czikas life. Anyway, best of luck moving forward - Seth Jones and Werenski are great pieces to build around.

You are right, that was not an acceptable comment on my part. My apologies

Best of luck to your team as well -- you got a good one

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Arace:
It was nearly an hour after the final horn before #CBJ⁠ ⁠ coach John Tortorella appeared for his post-game media confab. Asked about the delay, he said, "Oh, I had a number of things to do, to talk to, and, yeah."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The game in a quick synopsis:

The Islanders played an absolutely perfect road game. Sticks in the lanes, blocked shots, hard hits, protect the net, capitalize on their few chances. What amazed me is that, if you go back and watch the replays, they would simply hold off, hold, hold, then when someone would go to shoot, bam stick in the lane. So many shots deflected over the net.

The Jackets weren't all that terrible, aside from a few turnovers - which ultimately led to the goals. They could have done a better job making it tough on Greiss, but I don't think the Isles did anything special. They just played boring hockey. We tried to do too much.

3-0 is the result.

I missed all but about 10 minutes of last night's game, so I can't weigh in on the particulars or even whether I agree with your assessment. But...

Sticks in the lane is what I remember commenting on when I was at the January game against Montreal. When the Jackets can't get another team chasing or off its D game, they struggle. They're not a good enough passing team to overcome teams that have active sticks and don't break down.

I wonder if MSL might not have something of value to add here as well?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh, and for the record... this was in the Washington GDT:
Thursdays, by contrast - particularly Thursdays in which I have prior commitments (social outing every second and fourth Thursday of each month) and so miss giant chunks of the game - seem to render us unbeatable.
So yeah, it's my fault. Sorry guys.
:)

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I get the impression that I should be glad I missed this one. From comments here it sounds like the Jackets played well but the Islanders Trotz Modern Trapped near perfectly.

They didnt play well. There wasnt a single stretch where they were dominating on any level. They had no space, they could barely generate high danger chances. The first line looked lost and wasnt even noticeable. So no..

What you missed was 60 minutes of frustration and suffocation.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
That game last night brought back bad memories of the playoffs last year. Trotz has had the Jackets' number since Game 3 last year and Torts will have to adjust the next time they meet.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That game last night brought back bad memories of the playoffs last year. Trotz has had the Jackets' number since Game 3 last year and Torts will have to adjust the next time they meet.

Can Torts adjust? To me the Jackets play the same all the time? Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable fans can enlighten me to how he does. :dunno:

Reactions: Madifer

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Trotz is good. Torts is second tier. Twas a stinker. I watched on and off and was blessed to see two of the goals against. Next!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Trotz is just a better coach than Torts. And as one of the posters noted above, the idea of Torts adapting is an oxymoron.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Can Torts adjust? To me the Jackets play the same all the time? Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable fans can enlighten me to how he does. :dunno:
When Torts said yesterday before the game that he won't prepare for an opponent because "it's counterpunching before puck even drops" or something , you kinda knew it was over. I don't know why he doesn't have a plan for each game, because clearly he can't adapt on the fly, line blending and benching- that's his answer for everything.

Reactions: CPTN71

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
what does being "nicked up" mean anyway? is it like a healthy scratch for poor performance?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I wouldn't blame Jarmo if he went out behind Nationwide Arena and slit his wrists (or worse).

Facts:
Road game, end of west coast trip, in a town known for frivolity and excess = play a solid game with plenty of moxie and win against last year's Stanley Cup loser.
Home game, usually suck on Tuesday, against last year Stanley Cup winner = 3-0 shutout with solid play all around and contributions up and down the line-up.

Reaction:
- at that point I'm thinking keep things in tact and "go for it"

Facts:
Home game, usually play great on Thursday, full house or close to it against division leader = 0-3 shutout with "dirty bed sheets" and a coach in "Salty Mode"

Possible reaction:
Jarmo to self; "How much more schizo can this team possibly be"

Reactions: Halfboard

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
The caps were poor against this team, then they travelled to SJ and easily beat them.

More games are coming so lets just forget yesterday.

What IS concerning though is "imo" Torts inability to adjust the team according to the challenge. Torts knew exactly what to expect from NYI and the team kept playing the way it always does. In all 3 periods. Thats poor coaching and lack of a working plan. Me and my gf didnt enjoy the game last night.

But then again, the season isnt over yet

Reactions: Sore Loser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->