Post-Game Talk: Isles 6, Pens 3 - When Some Things Matter More Than a Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We need to play a more patient, defensive game against them Thursday...they made mistakes in the NZ tonight...hopefully we can take advantage more of their mistakes and turn the table...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Glad I slept through it.

Oh well. NYI have been doing this all year lol. Sadly, so have the Pens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tonight's game was just so weird because the Pens looked really, really good but just couldn't beat Lehner/the post, and yet it seemed like every single time they had a slight breakdown, the Isles would score.

I guess the one complaint I have is despite playing well, the defense is still way too prone to giving up odd man rushes. But overall, if we replayed that game 100 times, I think the Pens win the majority of those games.

One "minus" for me tonight was Guentzel. I don't know what he looked like live, but on television I just thought he wasn't really doing all that much. Crosby and Simon seemed to be generating all the chances for that line, with Guentzel just kind of skating around and being there. I don't think Jake's had a very good start to the season, despite his good goal pace.

Reactions: canadianguy77

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We need Letang back asap. I bet I'm the first person to make this observation.

That would certainly help things.
No matter who plays, they just have to figure it out and keep picking up pts.
I just don't want bad play to fester.
They were not good in their own zone as 5 man units resulting in prime scoring chances going in(going down 2-0) even tho they outshot their opponent decidedly thru the game.

Also be nice to get Brass back as well.
But if it's his groin, let him take all the time he needs and switch in Wilkes kids if you have to.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I just don't want bad play to fester.
They were not good in their own zone as 5 man units resulting in prime scoring chances going in....

It's going on 18 months of this inconsistency in the NZ/DZ, though. When the Pens are KILLING teams, it's when they are working as a unit. It's a result, not a coincidence. How the team continues to fail to demand this effort is confusing.

But if it's his groin, let him take all the time he needs and switch in Wilkes kids if you have to.

Pfft. That's making lemonade out of lemons. Get rid of such a problem solving mentality. It makes more sense to not try out young players.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's going on 18 months of this inconsistency in the NZ/DZ, though. When the Pens are KILLING teams, it's when they are working as a unit. It's a result, not a coincidence. How the team continues to fail to demand this effort is confusing.

Well, they did some very good things in the NZ/DZ in TOR, CGY and VAN and would just like to see that continue when they play back in the eastern US now.
Build on that and not let the bad things that happened last night fester, t'was my point.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Well, they did some very good things in the NZ/DZ in TOR, CGY and VAN and would just like to see that continue when they play back in the eastern US now.
Build on that and not let the bad things that happened last night fester, t'was my point.

Absolutely. When they do the fundamentals, their offensive talent buries the opposition. When they don't, they look mediocre.

You don't want it to fester, but 95% of the regular season struggles as hell, most of that lameness in the playoffs) is a direct result of unengaged forwards and a middling defence treading water, slowly drowning.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What irks me is that Sullivan is happy to promote players if they are playing well or showing some jump, he does it often with Simon and other guys, but he some how refuses to do it with Sprong.

Today, even a blind man could see that Sprong was the prime candidate to be bumped up and take advantage of the fact that the kid was abso-f***ing-lutely buzzing all game long. He had some brain farts, but the positives insanely outweighed any of the negatives he did in the game. Yet...he wasn't bumped up.

Jake Guentzel has been playing like absolute sweaty ass and he likely needs to be on a different line to find his touch again, but nope...f*** that.

Reactions: John Titor

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well i think one thing that plays into that is Phil's desire to play with Geno.
And the other one is Sid likely calling some shots on his own line(wants Jake and prefers Rust, etc. vs Horny).

Really doesn't matter at this point who plays where up front. They sorta know already what does and doesn't work. They gotta realise their backend isn't the greatest, especially with 58 out and bust their butts/put the work/details/focus in.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Tonight's game was just so weird because the Pens looked really, really good but just couldn't beat Lehner/the post, and yet it seemed like every single time they had a slight breakdown, the Isles would score.

I guess the one complaint I have is despite playing well, the defense is still way too prone to giving up odd man rushes. But overall, if we replayed that game 100 times, I think the Pens win the majority of those games.

One "minus" for me tonight was Guentzel. I don't know what he looked like live, but on television I just thought he wasn't really doing all that much. Crosby and Simon seemed to be generating all the chances for that line, with Guentzel just kind of skating around and being there. I don't think Jake's had a very good start to the season, despite his good goal pace.

You watched the game didn’t you? :p:

For whatever reason tonight the Pens couldn’t buy a goal and everything was finding a way to go in for the Isles. Having both Letang and Schultz out was also very noticeable to me. The defense just didn’t seem very in tune tonight.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I mean these games happen.
It was really obvious Letang was out, for sure. It was also really obvious that the Pens forgot anything they learned on defense. Especially in their own zone.

Loved Sid from what I saw. He has a fire again which is a good thing.

Simon had some impact, fluky goal or not, glad he got one.

Sprong looked much more poised and smooth. Each game he seems to gain some confidence.

No bounces or puck luck. It happens...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I don't see exactly what Grant does out there. He really hasn't shown anything in the games I've watched him, he just seems like a warm body. He's a worse version of Fehr or Spaling, just another safe player that does borderline nothing on the ice.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Trotz knows how to beat Sullivan's system. Its that simple.

Way to over aggressive on the puck and always caught up ice.

Plus they're just not as fast as they used to be.

Plus Jake has to be better. All the rolling around in warm ups is fine and dandy but his game is pretty bad right now.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Trotz knows how to beat Sullivan's system. Its that simple.

Way to over aggressive on the puck and always caught up ice.

Plus they're just not as fast as they used to be.
do not read too much into it. when you score 4 goals on 9 shots, thats called- everything going your way. trotz did not seat there and devise some evil plan: I will let Pens have their best game of the season the first 30 minutes, let them hit posts and missed golden opportunities, than we will score on basically first five shots.....than we will clamp down on already disinterested Pens...If he figured that out he truly is genius.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I don't see exactly what Grant does out there. He really hasn't shown anything in the games I've watched him, he just seems like a warm body. He's a worse version of Fehr or Spaling, just another safe player that does borderline nothing on the ice.
Yeah, I think he is more suited for a heavy game not speed and transition. He doesn't bring anything at center and would much rather have Cullen/Sheahan there.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Happy to see that the sky isn't falling (yet). It's pretty clear that Letang is indispensable, I still can't believe we somehow won a Cup without him. Sid and Geno did well but karma was paying us back for all the puck luck on the Canadian road trip, I guess. PP1 was a mess, it sure looked like nobody ever expected Riikola to play on it and he was completely out of sync with the other four players on it.

do not read too much into it. when you score 4 goals on 9 shots, thats called- everything going your way. trotz did not seat there and devise some evil plan: I will let Pens have their best game of the season the first 30 minutes, let them hit posts and missed golden opportunities, than we will score on basically first five shots.....than we will clamp down on already disinterested Pens..

Indeed. Trotz is a good coach and his team exploited our weaknesses well but I am sure he was perfectly aware that they got some huge breaks too (though the Pens did score a goal off a defenceman's skate as well).

Reactions: pi314

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
do not read too much into it. when you score 4 goals on 9 shots, thats called- everything going your way. trotz did not seat there and devise some evil plan: I will let Pens have their best game of the season the first 30 minutes, let them hit posts and missed golden opportunities, than we will score on basically first five shots.....than we will clamp down on already disinterested Pens...If he figured that out he truly is genius.
Not going to go with Trotz is a genius, but one thing that did stand out to me was how many times guys were in front of the net all alone or D men stepping up, like way up, into the slot without any pushback.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I completely disagree. He's been back dooring the Pens for the better part of three years. The Caps just didn't execute... But the plays were there to beat the Pens.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I completely disagree. He's been back dooring the Pens for the better part of three years. The Caps just didn't execute... But the plays were there to beat the Pens.

He lost a playoff series against a team missing their #1D and starting goalie. Beating them in a the regular season doesn't mean shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Murray couldn't be expected to save most of those goals tonight but at the same time he needs to come up with some big saves occasionally. He looks good when we're defensively responsible and terrible when we aren't.

Good goalies bail their teams out when they aren't at their best defensively and so far this year Murray isn't often doing that. He needs to start coming up with those big saves on occasion.

All that said, it was a game where we mostly played well and I think we win more often than not with that effort. Lehner made some big saves early and then the Isles got a few bounces. It happens. Come out hard Thursday and build an early lead and don't look back.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad