"Isle of Healing," Blog From Bobby Robins

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
His is an inspiring story, but at the same time apparently with an unhappy ending. In hindsight, he believes he suffered his debilitating concussion in his very first NHL game, fighting Luke Schenn. But after finally making it to the show, he just couldn't pull himself out of the lineup.

He just posted a blog titled "Isle of Healing" that is very candid. The fight debate is ongoing, and I admit to liking them; but his story will obviously be a part of conversation.

The entire blog is here: http://www.bobbyrobins.com/isle-of-healing/

And here's and excerpt:

I’m back! I’ve emerged from the cave and what a trip it’s been. I went from the highest peak at the highest level to the lowest valley of doom. I’ve seen it all, man. And I’ve learned more about myself, my world, and the world around me in the past seven months than I had learned in the previous 33 years.

This concussion has shown me many truths.

I had some serious blinders on! I used to think they were a good thing because they kept me focused on my goal way up there at the top of the mountain. I’ve come to realize that those blinders kept me separate from people who needed my help.

I’ve learned what’s important. And what’s not. I’ve seen my greatest flaws and also my greatest gifts. Here’s a clue: punching people in the face, while entertaining, exhilarating, and strangely poetic, is not one of my greatest gifts. It’s a means that got me to the top league in the world and to see a childhood dream fulfilled. And for that, I’m grateful.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
His is an inspiring story, but at the same time apparently with an unhappy ending. In hindsight, he believes he suffered his debilitating concussion in his very first NHL game, fighting Luke Schenn. But after finally making it to the show, he just couldn't pull himself out of the lineup.

He just posted a blog titled "Isle of Healing" that is very candid. The fight debate is ongoing, and I admit to liking them; but his story will obviously be a part of conversation.

The entire blog is here: http://www.bobbyrobins.com/isle-of-healing/

And here's and excerpt:

I’m back! I’ve emerged from the cave and what a trip it’s been. I went from the highest peak at the highest level to the lowest valley of doom. I’ve seen it all, man. And I’ve learned more about myself, my world, and the world around me in the past seven months than I had learned in the previous 33 years.

This concussion has shown me many truths.

I had some serious blinders on! I used to think they were a good thing because they kept me focused on my goal way up there at the top of the mountain. I’ve come to realize that those blinders kept me separate from people who needed my help.

I’ve learned what’s important. And what’s not. I’ve seen my greatest flaws and also my greatest gifts. Here’s a clue: punching people in the face, while entertaining, exhilarating, and strangely poetic, is not one of my greatest gifts. It’s a means that got me to the top league in the world and to see a childhood dream fulfilled. And for that, I’m grateful.

Amazing...as much as I love it, fighting has ruined many a life, and it sucks,.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
This whole fighting/concussion thing is going to cost the league hundreds of millions when all said and done.

Glad to see Bobby has woken up to what he was doing the past decade and sees it for what it is. Gladiator sideshow during a hockey game.

Fighting does have it's place and should happen in the spur of the moment when you lose it and go after someone. Get concussed from that fine, your bad and deal with it. The staged pinãta stuff... well, another story when there is record for the past 30 years of guys being thrown out there to "change momentum" and mix it up 3 mins a night. Gonna cost the league big time.

(this is not to say it wasn't the hardest and gutsiest job in the NHL and I respect the hell out of guys who could do that without "help".)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm just so glad that he's started writing in his blog again. Check out the piece at the start of his blog about his addiction to chew - he clearly wrote it a few years ago, and republished it. It's probably one of the best written pieces tangentially dealing with sports that I've read in a long time - particularly considering that it came from an active player.

I'm glad he seems to be at peace with where he is now. I hope he has a strong support system - it sounds like he's got a rock in his wife, which is great. Concussions and depression go hand-in-hand, and having someone around to watch out for you and love you unconditionally is key - and thankfully, it looks like he has that. Even with the best of support, depression can do a really good job of disguising itself.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I couldn't find the original "Bobby Robins" player thread, and since he got a concussion in his first NHL game and had some serious post-concussion issues, sadly, it seemed like that thread might not be used again. But here's some really, really good news from Thursday:

No. He's not crouching in agony. He's stretching on the ice before taking a few shots. (At least that's the gist that I got after a little bit of searching.) I'm not to particularly hopeful that he'll play in the Calder Cup this year, even if we advance a few rounds. But it does seem like he might not be "out for life" like Savvy.

Granted, he's turning 34 in the opening weeks of next season. I'm not sure where he'd fit in any "new Bruins identity" - especially since we have a mystery GM and we may or may not have Clode. The NHL in general is going away from enforcer types. Still I'd love to see him dress for a game if he's able to. And, no, in general I don't have a huge love of enforcers...but if you read his story, no doubt you'll think this guy deserves every shot he can get.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I don't care if he fights, we need someone like him (or him) on the 4th line (and 3rd too) that is willing and able to throw a bodycheck with some intent and force.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This whole fighting/concussion thing is going to cost the league hundreds of millions when all said and done.

Glad to see Bobby has woken up to what he was doing the past decade and sees it for what it is. Gladiator sideshow during a hockey game.

Fighting does have it's place and should happen in the spur of the moment when you lose it and go after someone. Get concussed from that fine, your bad and deal with it. The staged pinãta stuff... well, another story when there is record for the past 30 years of guys being thrown out there to "change momentum" and mix it up 3 mins a night. Gonna cost the league big time.

(this is not to say it wasn't the hardest and gutsiest job in the NHL and I respect the hell out of guys who could do that without "help".)

I agree. I have never liked the staged "goon vs goon" nonsense and I'm not sorry to see it end. Now if two guys are battling and decide to go well that's up to them.

I think Bobby Robins has a future as a writer- I have really enjoyed reading his blog.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho

Employee does not rhyme with slave. Players know EXACTLY what they are risking when they sign an NHL contract. If any one of them wanted out, they could have walked and there would be hundreds lined up to fight for the open spot.

This new era of "Oh Poor Pro Athlete" makes me laugh. Let any of these guys try to make as much money in a "safe" workplace. It simply would not happen.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Employee does not rhyme with slave. Players know EXACTLY what they are risking when they sign an NHL contract. If any one of them wanted out, they could have walked and there would be hundreds lined up to fight for the open spot.

This new era of "Oh Poor Pro Athlete" makes me laugh. Let any of these guys try to make as much money in a "safe" workplace. It simply would not happen.

Tell the NFL that.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think he is setting himself up for his future as best he can. NBC will gobble someone like him up on the spot to push the anti fighting agenda.

Good to hear he is better at least.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The players do make incredible amounts of money, and logically they know the risks going in. I appreciate how candid Bobby Robins was in stating how being that close to fulfilling his dream, passion and desire trumped logic.

As a fan, I admit to enjoying the rough side of hockey. However, as we are learning more about the long term consequences, I am rethinking my views.

Even beside the lackluster season for the Bruins, I have been less entertained by the overall product this year. I've read guys on the main board joking that the NHL is now the 'No Hitting League,' and some nights it sure looked like it.

Robins' blog has given me a glimpse of the player's perspective.

This was probably posted on the main board, but on a somewhat related topic, this is pretty interesting, especially considering the source.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The players do make incredible amounts of money, and logically they know the risks going in. I appreciate how candid Bobby Robins was in stating how being that close to fulfilling his dream, passion and desire trumped logic.

As a fan, I admit to enjoying the rough side of hockey. However, as we are learning more about the long term consequences, I am rethinking my views.

Even beside the lackluster season for the Bruins, I have been less entertained by the overall product this year. I've read guys on the main board joking that the NHL is now the 'No Hitting League,' and some nights it sure looked like it.

Robins' blog has given me a glimpse of the player's perspective.

This was probably posted on the main board, but on a somewhat related topic, this is pretty interesting, especially considering the source.

No Carcillo fan but it takes a lot of guts to speak honestly about these issues. Haley Wickenheiser's piece, while a bit lengthy, was also brave and important.

I hope the league begins deal honestly & constructively with this stuff, rather than ignore, obfuscate & attempt to buy off players with a shamelessly paltry "settlement," as the NFL has done. The main reason I no longer watch football in general & the NFL in particular. They treat their players like chattel.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I wouldn't listen to anything Carcillo says, he is a nut (Did not watch the video, but if he talks in any way similar to how he plays the game...)!

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I found most disturbing how little support the NHLPA gives retiring players. I've never thought highly of the NHLPA, but geez - it sounds like there are no placement services to speak of or health support.

skullguise

Nov 13, 2007
North Andover, MA
It IS amazing, with so many kids entering the NHL without any kind of college degree too, that there isn't a strong exit process.

And with the risk of injury, or just retirement, where do you go/what do you do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad