GDT: Islanders @ Wings - Preseason Game 3

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
I’m a pretty optimistic Red Wing fan, but to me, Zadina is nowhere near to being an NHL player. Not saying he won’t get there or that he’s a bust. But right now he is so limited in what he can do out there. Reminds me of Frk. Good shot but if he’s not being set up for 1 timers, he’s below average every where else. In my prospect rankings he’s behind Seider, Veleno, and Rasmussen. By a good margain. Like I said, not giving up on him yet, but part of me wishes that we had Yzerman for that draft too

He is 19 years old. Pump the breaks. He has exceptional talent. If you don't trust Yzerman to develop him, then just go. I'll eat my words if he ends up like Frk, lol, but where is Frk now? LA, going from a roster-ed NHL player to a guy maybe squeaking into Ontario Reigns lineup.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I wonder when Zadina will score a goal...

He is lost out there. It is painful to watch, he tries to do way too much, and really looks lost out there. He isn't scoring, and doesn't do enough out there. He still has tons of time to figure it out, but in my opinion he doesn't belong anywhere near the NHL yet. Veleno looks way better.

Reactions: ShanahanMan
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Filip Zadina, June 2018 "“I was telling my agent, if they will pass on me, I’m going to fill their nets with pucks,”
and also " I bring the goals". (these are direct quotes)

Filip Zadina, September 2019 "It's not about the goals, I just wanna play hockey, have fun".

This is concerning. He has lost all of his confidence.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He is 19 years old. Pump the breaks. He has exceptional talent. If you don't trust Yzerman to develop him, then just go. I'll eat my words if he ends up like Frk, lol, but where is Frk now? LA, going from a roster-ed NHL player to a guy maybe squeaking into Ontario Reigns lineup.

Pump the brakes? The guy said, "not saying he won't get there, or that he's a bust."
He's assessing where he is right now. And you're acting like he's talking about him never getting there.

Reactions: Yooper906

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He didn't say this season.
I said nothing about this year either. I asked what he see's in his game that gives him any hope of making the team or what he has seen that shows top 6 potential at any point? Hes soft, does not see the game well at this point, lazy coming out of the O zone. Has a hard shot that very rarely is on net, and does not get him self to open ice to use said shot. Hes far behind Joe V, hes behind Svech, Smith, Taco. The only thing he has going for him is he was supposed to be a high draft pick and fell. I hope hes just stuck in his own head and snaps out of it.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't want to speak for Hen, but it seems more like the constant picking out only the negative plays by one player and basing an entire narrative around it is the issue here.
He was our highest pick in decades. There were other players many of us wanted more. I'm not gonna rag on a guy picked in the 4th round for not being impressive. 4th rounders usually don't even make the show. But a 6th overall *has to be good* or someone messed up. So the fact that Zadina just isn't that good, to some of our eyes, is obviously a bigger deal worth noting.

Reactions: BinCookin

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Filip Zadina, June 2018 "“I was telling my agent, if they will pass on me, I’m going to fill their nets with pucks,”
and also " I bring the goals". (these are direct quotes)

Filip Zadina, September 2019 "It's not about the goals, I just wanna play hockey, have fun".

This is concerning. He has lost all of his confidence.
He can get it back. He is kid man

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I understand being concerned with his play so far, but giving up on him in the preseason in September seems like people are REEALLLLY jumping the gun on him.

Zadina hasn't even turned 20 yet. While I understand having some concerns, people are jumping ship incredibly quickly.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I understand being concerned with his play so far, but giving up on him in the preseason in September seems like people are REEALLLLY jumping the gun on him.

Zadina hasn't even turned 20 yet. While I understand having some concerns, people are jumping ship incredibly quickly.
It's not I'm jumping ship on him, he was a projected 3rd rounder that "fell" in our laps. It's looking more and more like others knew he was not a 3 or 4th or 6th rd pick player. Mo is just a kid and looks way way more comfortable in the game same with Joe v. So age is not a excuse for him any more, hes had AHL time the other 2 have not. Hes just not looking to be what we all hoped he would be is all, maybe a 3rd liner?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Confirmed with Link: - Ryan Kuffner

Exactly. I haven't changed my opinion ever since. He shouldn't have played for the Wings and he's gonna need a lot of time. But he's gonna be a star eventually.

Back then, most posters called me crazy when I told them that Zadina is gonna need a lot of time. Now they're about to write him off already. Patience is key with a prospect like Zadina.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think one of the problems for Zadina was there was a narrative that he was close to NHL ready. Guys like Draper and Holland engaged in those kind of comments and let the Regner's of the world spout that garbage for an entire summer before we even saw him. His ability to create space and his need to make quicker decisions have been apparent since his first camp. He had more development time than the team advertised. Now I entered the draft, especially after the combine where he was average athletically with that concern, but that wasn't how the pick was advertised to most around here.

Still it is very early to start condemning him at this point. He has made significant progress overall as a player. We need to be a little more patient with him and I think the organization didn't do him a lot of favors unfortunately with how they hyped him. I don't see a guy that should break camp with the big team yet though, but we will see where the rest of the pre-season goes. I still believe long-term he is a quality top 6 player that should see the 30 goal mark, he is just going to take a little bit of time and that is fine, most guys do.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think one of the problems for Zadina was there was a narrative that he was close to NHL ready. Guys like Draper and Holland engaged in those kind of comments and let the Regner's of the world spout that garbage for an entire summer before we even saw him. His ability to create space and his need to make quicker decisions have been apparent since his first camp. He had more development time than the team advertised. Now I entered the draft, especially after the combine where he was average athletically with that concern, but that wasn't how the pick was advertised to most around here.

Still it is very early to start condemning him at this point. He has made significant progress overall as a player. We need to be a little more patient with him and I think the organization didn't do him a lot of favors unfortunately with how they hyped him. I don't see a guy that should break camp with the big team yet though, but we will see where the rest of the pre-season goes. I still believe long-term he is a quality top 6 player that should see the 30 goal mark, he is just going to take a little bit of time and that is fine, most guys do.

Exactly. I always liked the pick but at the same time I always knew that he will need time. Players like him usually do. He never was anywhere close to NHL-level and I was surprised that even after a few impressions many posters here still wanted to see him on the team. The Redwings as an organization handled this one very poorly. They shouldn't have played Zadina and they shouldn't have praised him they way they have. They should have known that he wasn't ready...it was pretty easy to see even for the random hockey fan.
Give him two full seasons in Grand Rapids and he should be fine but they have to give him the opportunity to develop without pressure, unnecessary hype or even stupid call up's.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Exactly. I always liked the pick but at the same time I always knew that he will need time. Players like him usually do. He never was anywhere close to NHL-level and I was surprised that even after a few impressions many posters here still wanted to see him on the team. The Redwings as an organization handled this one very poorly. They shouldn't have played Zadina and they shouldn't have praised him they way they have. They should have known that he wasn't ready...it was pretty easy to see even for the random hockey fan.
Give him two full seasons in Grand Rapids and he should be fine but they have to give him the opportunity to develop without pressure, unnecessary hype or even stupid call up's.

I think Blashill's comments last night were very honest and important in terms of the marathon aspect and some of his playing style issues. Zadina needs to learn to make the puck and his teammates work for him. I see that in his game, it is the next step. He is finding more open ice this year, that is already apparent and he started to find more of it at the end of last year. He looks stronger, he is marginally quicker and I have liked parts of his game in particular he has come a long ways in terms of a two way recognition in my opinion.

Now he needs to get working on crisp give and go hockey, being in motion more often and diagnosing when to hold the puck more and when to get it off your stick in a hurry. That is really the trickiest part, it is why most guys take a couple years. I think he can do it. I believe in him, I think it is in there and I think he can be a true difference maker, really for me he is pretty close, but I think right now I see him needing more time in the AHL to work on some things. Guy has a lot of talent, I like his work rate and so much of what he has done since he joined the organization. I am hopeful he doesn't need the whole year down, we will see, it is a few more tweaks to his game, but I am encouraged that he is finding more space thus far this year.

I don't have a problem with the nine game callup, since a part of what Zadina thought was he just lacked elite teammates and it gives them a taste of how fast and good the NHL really is. I think it helps them, when you're out of it and post-deadline I endorse those moves. I could see something similar for a few guys this year, but it doesn't mean they are ready to stay full-time. Again I think that is all in how the team presents it and unfortunately even at times when they do the fan-base can have misconceptions about what it really means.

I hate quoting that Packers QB jerk but people need to RELAX a little bit here. This is what young players do a lot of times in this league, this is what a bunch of people wanted. Well we have it and be careful what you wish for, but I like a lot of our young core, not all is lost and guys like Zadina can certainly become big pieces, it is just going to take a bit of time and frankly we have it for this year. I have a lot of patients for how his year might play out and several other guys on this team, hoping to look at the positives a little more and embrace the changing of the guard but we will see how the season unfolds. Pretty excited for this season even if it looks like we are a bottom five team, there is a lot of growth to be had and progress towards us being a good team again.

Reactions: NotLeddy

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
While criticism of Zadina and pointing out he's not NHL ready is entirely fair, people also need to take a few things into account. He's 19. He undoubtedly picked up bad habits on a powerhouse Q team. He's still physically developing. He is known for both being a hard working in training and very self critical.

Its clear his confidence is down and that he's confused in his game trying to adjust from a junior scoring machine at a level he found easy to playing Men's hockey at the elite level. Different players transition at different rates, dependent on so many factors.

One thing I hate about sports forums is when people compare some kid to some limited full time adult player, without taking into account the massive development curve that can occur in the intervening years. Of course, no one can predict how a player develops during those periods unless they see him in real detail and very regularly. This kid has a boat load of skill and is often complemented on his work ethic. What he doesn't have yet is real explosiveness, strength or an awareness of how to translate those gifts to the Pro game without overthinking and overtrying.

He looks to me like a player who IS trying to correct his weaknesses (or at least improve those areas), and is massively overthinking things to a point of slight paralysis, which leads him to falling back into instinctive bad habits to try and shake himself out of his sense of underachievement. The way the organisation are talking about him seems to be a mixture of tough love for the bad habits but faith that he has the skills to be a big time player in the future.

If he was 21 and still showing what we've seen this summer/autumn, I'd be closer aligned to those showing serious concern, but he's 19. Most 19 year olds, even drafted in the top 10 just aren't ready at 19, even with more linear development paths. Lets not forget his numbers to date and his impression of having his whole game together are incredibly similar to Mantha at 21 and a bit.

Also, you just can't predict how a player will take steps forward at this age. While he could end up being less disastrous Yakupov, he's already achieved more in senior hockey (and in some cases more in junior) than Hertl, Huberdeau, Elhers, Dylan Strome, Timo Meier, Nino Niedereiter, Kadri, Brayden Schenn, Kyle Turris, Voracek had at the same age, and similar levels to Nylander., most of whom were picked at similar levels in the draft.

Looking at other recent high picks, he's shown more end product than Tippett, the ever broken Vilardi, Lias Andersson, Hayton, and is comparable to Cody Glass and Necas at the their D+1 age.

Now, right now he doesn't look likely to explode in the way some of those guys did in their D+2 year, but at the time neither did some of they. And he's definitely in a better place now than Meier, Strome and Ehlers were a that point in time, and we'd probably be happy with him reaching their current level of production by the same age...

Not saying it will happen, but drawing too many conclusions at this stage is stupid, particularly given how many other players looked brilliant in the Pro game at 19 who you wouldn't currently give up more than a 3rd round pick for.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I hope Zadina can turn it around. Man, he looks so lost out there, it's not even funny. I was expecting better but hopefully he comes around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->