Islanders Sign Ryan O'Marra

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Canadian Press

3/30/2006 12:18:26 PM

UNIONDALE, N.Y. - The New York Islanders signed first-round draft pick Ryan O'Marra to a three-year entry level contract on Thursday.

O'Marra, a member of the gold medal-winning Canadian team at the world junior championship, will begin his professional career with Bridgeport of the American Hockey League.

The 18-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., was taken with the 15th pick in the 2005 draft.

"It's so great to have the contract done early so I can begin playing for Bridgeport," O'Marra said in a release.

O'Marra had 27 goals and 50 assists in 61 games with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League this season.

"Ryan is arguably our top prospect not currently with the big club," said Islanders general manager Mike Milbury. "He is a very well-rounded player who is going to be a big part of our future."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=160626&hubname=

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Seph said:
Why's that? Good chance to get him some experience at a higher level, and still let him finish out his junior career. What's the downside?

There's none.
I think he assumed that O'Marra would play in the AHL next year, which he's ineligible to do.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Richard_Zednik said:
I was thinking they were planning on using him for the Bridgeport in the playoffs, and then the following season use him for the Islanders.
Possible, of course, but highly unlikely unless he overwhelms at camp (in which case, why hold him back?). Nokelainen and Colliton (and Comeau, to a lesser extent) are similar players, but further along in their development, so there's zero need to rush him. In fact, those two serve as more incentive to take your time with Ryan, as having him on the NHL team would probably be at the expense of one of them when they're more ready.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that O'Marra is back in Erie next season. And if he has a decent playoffs with Bridgeport, I wouldn't be surprised if he dominated the OHL next year.

CH Wizard

O'Marra is going to be a good pro player imo. He has great work ethic and decent all around skills. I wish good luck to him , btw colliton is having an impressive season.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Seems like the Islanders have a lot of gritty, solid prospects. My question is do they need more dynamic prospects/players, who can fill it up more. Maybe it will work for them, seems like they are drafting all charachter guys with good worth ethic, but guys that may not have HUGE upsides.

Or am i off here? Not saying this won't work for them, not knocking it at all, just wondering.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Chrisd said:
Seems like the Islanders have a lot of gritty, solid prospects. My question is do they need more dynamic prospects/players, who can fill it up more. Maybe it will work for them, seems like they are drafting all charachter guys with good worth ethic, but guys that may not have HUGE upsides.

Or am i off here? Not saying this won't work for them, not knocking it at all, just wondering.
There's actually something of a debate on this subject on the Isles forum. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, as O'Marra, Colliton, Comeau, Nokelainen and Bergenheim are my favorite prospects the Isles have. I love the idea of having a team full of guys that will outwork you nightly, grinding out the hard fought defensive wins. Even if they're not the most skilled, they have enough guys that one or two can step up on any given night and score enough to win those low scoring games. We may not be the best team down the line, but at least with this prospect core, I know we'll be tough to play against.

But I wouldn't mind grabbing a more elite talent with our first pick this year. Maybe Backstrom/Mueller fall to us, maybe we go with Brassard or Frolik or Tlusty. I'd be OK with that. But I'd also be OK with taking Kyle Okposo or Chris Stewart, especially if we could trade down and still do it. :dunno:

Korpido

Jul 15, 2005
The Great One said:
O'Marra is going to be a good pro player imo. He has great work ethic and decent all around skills. I wish good luck to him , btw colliton is having an impressive season.

He's got Captain written all over him.

I don't see him being anything more than a third line center though.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
MarinerIslanderSean said:
O'Marra has already scored a goal in his professional debut. Check that, he just scored again!!!

Hmm, lets see how he is doing after another game or 2 after the adrenaline has wore off.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Leachmeister2000 said:
Wow you Rags fans really hate him, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

No hate on O'marra...I actually like him, enjoyed watching him and a fellow Ranger prospect on the energy line in the WCJ's. Just putting some fans a few steps back down to reality...he's not going to be a 50 goal scorer.

Now if we start talking about like/hating Isles fans...thats a different story.. :sarcasm: ;)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leachmeister2000 said:
Wow you Rags fans really hate him, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

Hey, in my past posts before the draft I had said I wanted the Rangers to stay away from him. He just seems like the type of guy I wouldn't want to take that high, to be honest.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
FLYLine88 said:
No hate on O'marra...I actually like him, enjoyed watching him and a fellow Ranger prospect on the energy line in the WCJ's. Just putting some fans a few steps back down to reality...he's not going to be a 50 goal scorer.

I don't think any Islanders fans think he will be a 50 goal scorer. My guess is he will be the perfect 2nd line center(good 2way player, 25-30goals, 60-70 points). He basically was the "safe pick" the time the Islanders turn came up and i have no problems with that.

I think 10 years from now when we rate the draft there will be about 5-10 players drafted before him that O'Marra is better then, but a few picked after him in the first round that would be better(although your taking more risk on those guys being duds).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
boredmale said:
I don't think any Islanders fans think he will be a 50 goal scorer. My guess is he will be the perfect 2nd line center(good 2way player, 25-30goals, 60-70 points). He basically was the "safe pick" the time the Islanders turn came up and i have no problems with that.

I'll agree with that. Thats pretty much what I see him turning into as well.

KH1

I think that it's interesting how before this draft everybody was projecting O'Marra to go to Atlanta to be a future center for Kovalchuk. Now all of the sudden he's going to be a "gritty 3rd line center."

The guy is a gritty player no doubt--during the WJCs he hit everything in sight and he's a great backchecker and defender, but why don't people think he can be an effective offensive player? I'm not suggesting that he is well suited to being a first liner, but the way he's played at Erie it's not a stretch at all to see him scoring 60 points in the NHL.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
boredmale said:

Id have absolutely no complaints if he turned into that

Brindamour lite? id love that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->