Confirmed with Link: Islanders sign Austin Czarnik

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
his 2nd year of his contract is 1 way. looks like he may be a regular, in 2021/2. cheap at least.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
This just means that he'll get his "NHL" salary, whether he's in the NHL or AHL.
that's why i said "it looks like".

i am just guessing that he will be up with the big team. given that we need to sign Pelech, Sorokin and Beau next year, we are going to need more cheapies. and from what i've seen of him, i think he will be pretty good in that role.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
that's why i said "it looks like".

i am just guessing that he will be up with the big team. given that we need to sign Pelech, Sorokin and Beau next year, we are going to need more cheapies. and from what i've seen of him, i think he will be pretty good in that role.

I'd say, in light of Cizikas being an upcoming UFA, you're on to something in the sense that this deal opens up that door to him possibly being an option to take over there.

I'm sure Czarnik is seeing it as such. Guys like him sign where a certain window of opportunity have been made clear to them.

We shouldn't forget that he went 6-12-18 in 60-some games in 18-19. Didn't spend a minute in the AHL.

I'm sure he's thirsty to get back to where he was.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I'd say, in light of Cizikas being an upcoming UFA, you're on to something in the sense that this deal opens up that door to him possibly being an option to take over there.

I'm sure Czarnik is seeing it as such. Guys like him sign where a certain window of opportunity have been made clear to them.

We shouldn't forget that he went 6-12-18 in 60-some games in 18-19. Didn't spend a minute in the AHL.

I'm sure he's thirsty to get back to where he was.
good points. it is a bitch seeing Casey reach UFA status, but if he can improve his lifestyle somewhere else, can't blame him.

if anything other than depth, this year, he can serve as a mentor in BP.

really liking the shape of BP, btw.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
good points. it is a bitch seeing Casey reach UFA status, but if he can improve his lifestyle somewhere else, can't blame him.

if anything other than depth, this year, he can serve as a mentor in BP.

really liking the shape of BP, btw.

I think few of us can really see any means to pay him.

It's going to be his one big payday in light of his age and the point in time of free agency - granted Covid is under control by then.

Internally, it looks like the competition for that spot will come down to Koivula, Czarnik, and Carpenter.

I still think Jake Pivonka has an NHL future in role not uncommon to Cizikas'.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I think few of us can really see any means to pay him.

It's going to be his one big payday in light of his age and the point in time of free agency - granted Covid is under control by then.

Internally, it looks like the competition for that spot will come down to Koivula, Czarnik, and Carpenter.

I still think Jake Pivonka has an NHL future in role not uncommon to Cizikas'.
you're that high on Pivonka? well, i hope he does too. wasn't really sure what to expect of him, but if he does, i will be one happy camper.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Not only does this guys last name resemble Cizikas (relatively) but if you look at them, he actually bears some resemblance. He never played a full season but his stats would indicate he is offensively capable enough to be a serviceable 4C. Have to think he is the replacement internally as currently no prospect is on deck.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not only does this guys last name resemble Cizikas (relatively) but if you look at them, he actually bears some resemblance. He never played a full season but his stats would indicate he is offensively capable enough to be a serviceable 4C. Have to think he is the replacement internally as currently no prospect is on deck.

Well, Koivula was looking like the heir apparent.

But they saw him for a handful of games and I'm guessing they have an opinion on whether he can hold down a 4th line job as they envision.

I'm still gonna say that Bobo Carpenter is thought of much more highly within the organization than any us (rightfully) are assuming.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
you're that high on Pivonka? well, i hope he does too. wasn't really sure what to expect of him, but if he does, i will be one happy camper.

Pivonka does the little things in all three zones that make a player very desirable for a lower line in the NHL. He's a gadget guy and his abilities in tieing up and cutting off the opposition will provide him with a pro career.

Offense isn't a calling card. It won't be what allows him to make it. But he is very solidly built, skates well, and has the hockey genes of a former NHL point producer. He also seems to compliment higher profile offensive players.

I'd say, don't sleep on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't see how MDC belongs on this team.Czarnik maybe a better option. A lot of scouts are saying he's better off in the top nine rather as a fourth line player. Maybe a shot as a second liner. Sounds like a move Snow would make but sometimes you never know. Most likely he's a marginal but helpful player. Here's for wishful thinking.
It's hard to get excited when the free agents we sign are of the slim pickings and dumpster diving variety

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't see how MDC belongs on this team.Czarnik maybe a better option. A lot of scouts are saying he's better off in the top nine rather as a fourth line player. Maybe a shot as a second liner. Sounds like a move Snow would make but sometimes you never know. Most likely he's a marginal but helpful player. Here's for wishful thinking.
It's hard to get excited when the free agents we sign are of the slim pickings and dumpster diving variety

I think the main thing with MDC is that he's here at league minimum and, it appears, there's no market for him.

I also don't think you can just cut ties with a guy without buying him out and buyouts are conducted with penalties, making it basically more costly in his case.

And that's IF it would be management and the coaching staff's will to simply be rid of Dal Colle.

For all intents and purposes, it doesn't look like there is any desire to cast off a former #5 overall who costs a spit in the bucket for simply nothing.

Ideally, Dal Colle would be one of the sweeteners in a deal moving Boychuk or Ladd.

It will be interesting to see how Czarnik comes in and if he'll be able to push the staff's hand. The more internal competition on those lower lines, the merrier.

Last edited:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Maybe plug him in the 3LW spot right where MDC is. All respect to Czarnik but I don't want to see him in the op 6. Next to JGP and Wahlstrom or someone else seems like a good 3rd line.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Pivonka does the little things in all three zones that make a player very desirable for a lower line in the NHL. He's a gadget guy and his abilities in tieing up and cutting off the opposition will provide him with a pro career.

Offense isn't a calling card. It won't be what allows him to make it. But he is very solidly built, skates well, and has the hockey genes of a former NHL point producer. He also seems to compliment higher profile offensive players.

I'd say, don't sleep on him.
I also like the Reece Newkirk kid as a future solid bottom sixer that knows his role

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Garth would have signed him to play a central role, not as AHL injury depth.

Agreed, Garth wouldn't have acquired JGP to play 3C and instead, pencilled Czarnik in as the 3C, which would have a ripple effect throughout the system.

Instead of a solid NHL/AHL-tweeneer like Czarnik centering players like Wahlstrom, Holmstrom, etc. with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, there would be an inferior AHL player, or low-end college free agent type learning the ropes as a pro, dragging down the wing prospects and making their job that much harder.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Maybe plug him in the 3LW spot right where MDC is. All respect to Czarnik but I don't want to see him in the op 6. Next to JGP and Wahlstrom or someone else seems like a good 3rd line.
I haven't seen enough of his play to make any solid predictions on him, but at least from looking into his stats, when he plays with scoring line players, he has put up very good numbers at 5 on 5. Here's his scoring rates over the last two seasons in Calgary at 5 on 5 based on who he is on a line with (for every forward he played at least 30 min of 5 on 5 with):

WithTOI WithGoals/60Total Assists/60Total Points/60
Alan Quine34:31:0001.741.74
Andrew Mangiapane38:52:0001.541.54
Derek Ryan123:39:000.491.461.94
Garnet Hathaway61:10:0000.980.98
James Neal105:34:0000.570.57
Johnny Gaudreau36:10:0003.323.32
Mark Jankowski287:25:000.631.041.67
Matthew Tkachuk120:10:0011.52.5
Michael Frolik44:22:001.3501.35
Mikael Backlund118:19:001.011.012.03
Milan Lucic37:10:003.2303.23
Sam Bennett136:15:000.880.441.32
Sean Monahan34:46:0001.721.72
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A lot of the issue with his low scoring rates appear to be attributed to his time playing bottom six with players line Hathaway, Jankowski, Bennet and Neal, which is kind of hard to blame him for not putting up good offensive numbers with. When he was with Tkachuk though, his 5 on 5 offense has been quite good though, and even still very solid with Backlund. Small sample size, to be sure, but shows some promise for him as an offensive player at the NHL level and the possibility that he's just never been given a legitimate chance.

For comparison purposes, here's the scoring rates these same players put up at 5 on 5 over the last two seasons:

PlayerTOIGoals/60Total Assists/60Total Points/60
Alan Quine207:00:000.870.581.45
Andrew Mangiapane1295:58:001.060.881.94
Austin Czarnik596:09:000.61.011.61
Derek Ryan1582:40:000.681.11.78
Garnet Hathaway649:16:000.830.741.57
James Neal784:33:000.380.610.99
Johnny Gaudreau2286:19:000.891.472.36
Mark Jankowski1293:34:000.60.741.35
Matthew Tkachuk2057:25:000.851.282.13
Michael Frolik1213:04:000.790.941.73
Mikael Backlund2070:40:000.71.221.91
Milan Lucic775:54:000.230.70.93
Sam Bennett1396:34:000.730.641.37
Sean Monahan2117:28:000.881.222.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So, if he does win a top 6 spot at some point, I wouldn't necessarily scoff at the notion. His career up until now has been weirdly similar to Martin St. Louis' right before going to Tampa -- similar size, both were standout college scorers, and their stats over the last two seasons with Calgary are very comparable at both the NHL and AHL level. The big difference is the two years he spent in the Bruins' system, which also means he's two years older the St. Louis was, and the age difference is of course of note.

I'm definitely not trying to compare them on the ice as players and I also don't think Czarnik has nearly that upside (for one, Czarnik is not nearly as explosive of a skater as St. Louis from what I've seen), but just bringing Marty up as another guy who didn't get a real shot to show what he could do in an NHL top 6 largely due to his small stature and was able to prove he belonged there when he finally did. Which is not to say that I think Czarnik will do that, but simply that I wouldn't rule it out either.

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Bumping this...

Thought he was noticable, in a good way, tonight vs Philly. If the team is well out of it, I hope they try and deal Casey (could a contender deal a 1st for him), and let Otto/this kid compete for the regular 4C starting next year?
Having just signed MM17 to 4 yrs, and we know the chemistry those guys have/had, I still think Casey will be here next year but id like to see more of this kid to see if this might work going forward

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This player is the reason why in the future you do NOT sign fourth liners like Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas to long term deals. Cizikas you can make an argument for, but these players who are hungry and have not gotten a full shot yet are always more than good enough.

Go back to Bardreau when he was here. The dude was fine on the fourth line and was much cheaper.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I was very pleasantly surprised by Czarnik’s game last night. Admittedly I don’t know much about the kid, but he didn’t stop moving his feet, skated and looked hungry all game. More than many others looked. Prob he’s a little more amped up getting another shot in the league but I’ll give him his props for playing a solid game. What his game looks like on a regular role, I don’t know.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
I don’t know what to expect out of him going forward but he was one of the more noticeable players on the ice from start to finish last night… So hopefully he keeps it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad