Proposal: Islanders/Sabres

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Having an argument with my co-host of my radio show, who happens to have an Islander bias, but heard from a very questionable twitter account that the Islanders were looking at re-acquiring Okposo.

Who loses this deal?

To Islanders: Okposo, Moulson
To Sabres: Ladd, Clutterbuck

I think Buffalo loses this horribly and he says it's fair. Mind you, Okposo has outscored Ladd significantly these past 2 seasons pointswise while missing 17 games in 2017 and Clutterbuck's deal has 4 years left on it including this upcoming season.

Thoughts?

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Close but I think I will Pass. While I still like KO, I am expecting Ladd to rebound offensively with some encouragement from LL and Trotz and he is a superior defensive forward, so I don’t think he will be a huge drop off from KO.

Clutterbuck once again top 10 in the league in hits. What he lacks offensively he brings with physicality. Moulson does not bring anything at all.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Having an argument with my co-host of my radio show, who happens to have an Islander bias, but heard from a very questionable twitter account that the Islanders were looking at re-acquiring Okposo.

Who loses this deal?

To Islanders: Okposo, Moulson
To Sabres: Ladd, Clutterbuck

I think Buffalo loses this horribly and he says it's fair. Mind you, Okposo has outscored Ladd significantly these past 2 seasons pointswise while missing 17 games in 2017 and Clutterbuck's deal has 4 years left on it including this upcoming season.

Thoughts?
No way Buffalo does this, and I am an islander fan

The Buffalo contracts arent as bad as Ladd+Clutterbuck imo

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
No chance for Buffalo.

Okposo > Ladd pretty easily. And although Clutterbuck is better than Moulson, Moulson can ride out the year in the AHL then be gone while Clutterbuck you are stuck with. Pass.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Good lord why would they want to do that?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo is on the verge of jettisoning that Moulson contract, it in no way is an obstacle for 1 more season while he rides out the AHL.
Okposo's contract, while larger in both length and amount than I'd prefer, is very manageable. Buffalo needs vet presence, a lot of youth is going to start to shuffle through the ranks in Buffalo in the next 3 to 4 years, both Berglund and Okposo should do just fine helping them along.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
No from Buffalo.

I'd rather have Okposo for 5 more years at $6m per than Ladd for 5 more years at $5.5m per. It's debatable though and I'm not going to call you crazy if you argue either side of that one.

It's Clutterbuck for 4 more years at $3.5m versus Moulson for 1 more year that does it for me. I don't want either player on my team with their contract. I don't want any of the 4 players in this deal on my team with their contract. But I'd rather have Moulson for 1 year than Clutterbuck for 4 years.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
No from Buffalo.

I'd rather have Okposo for 5 more years at $6m per than Ladd for 5 more years at $5.5m per. It's debatable though and I'm not going to call you crazy if you argue either side of that one.

It's Clutterbuck for 4 more years at $3.5m versus Moulson for 1 more year that does it for me. I don't want either player on my team with their contract. I don't want any of the 4 players in this deal on my team with their contract. But I'd rather have Moulson for 1 year than Clutterbuck for 4 years.

This pretty much sums it up.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I didn't think the Isles were willing to trade their 1st round pick this year...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thus is bad from buffalo.

KO is more manageable than Ladd..he doesn’t have a NMC and it’s a little easier to buy out. His last yr he has no bonus money so it can be bought out.

Moulsons contract ends after this year vs extra years of dead weight in cluster&*$#

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
At the very least Okposo is a ~45-50 point RW2. Worth 6 mil per for half a decade more ? Definitely not. But he at least will produce as an average 2nd liner. Ladd has put up bottom 6 type numbers.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
"You know how to get the fans to forget about losing John Tavares? Acquire every player whose career they owe to him."

P.A. Parenteau is still an UFA by the way.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thus is bad from buffalo.

KO is more manageable than Ladd..he doesn’t have a NMC and it’s a little easier to buy out.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The proposal is bad but let's not say something even stupider to go over the top.

What could possibly entice Buffalo to take on so many years of wasted cap space? Certainly, nothing less than a high 1st round pick...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Isles are stuck with Ladd, better hope there are more compliance buyouts in the new CBA. Boychuk is likely the other casualty.

Love KO and everything he did for the Isles, don't want him back in any case.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'd say this deal favors NYI by 3 wasted salary-man years -- 1 for Okposo and 2 for Moulson's contract expiring before Clutterbuck's.

Ladd - 1.5 more marginally worthwhile years left, 3.5 dead years.
Okposo - 2.5 more marginally worthwhile years left, 2.5 dead years.
Clutterbuck - 1 more marginally worthwhile year left, 3 dead years.
Moulson - 1 dead year.

The difference between Clutterbuck/Moulson is greater than the difference between Ladd/Okposo.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Whoever ends up with Ladd at 5.5M for 5 more years is the loser on this one. I'll take OK for $500k more for those 5 years all day every day.

Clutterbuck isn't terrible because his game is to be a agitator and wrecking ball out there, which is something a guy in his 30's can keep up rather than a scoring type going into mid 30's. As the pay scale goes up, $3.5M isn't nice but not terrible. I wouldn't want it on my team, but it works if you have the space and need for such a player.

Buffalo really gains nothing by getting rid of Moulson's 1 year hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad