Islanders Owners: Scott Malkin & Jon Ledecky

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
In a short few weeks I assume all of our opinions on them have changed. Before they were "frauds" (and had earned that title). Now the mob has subsided not calling for their heads thanks to the hiring of Lou and subsequently the removal of snow and weight - Moves that seemed to be so obvious to everyone but them.

Now instead of trying to hang them like we'd all like to do with wang, Malkin & Ledecky are showing themselves to be aware owners (very crucial), and owners who can not only get the job done, but are willing to spend money to do so.

So this thread is now about discussing what they've been doing in a more calm environment now that the Isles house isn't on fire like it was a month ago. We actually seem to be truly building something now and the idea of having a "first-class organization" doesn't seem crazy anymore. We're literally on track to having just that.

That said I found this Tweet interesting....

I knew from the last few months of reports that the New York Islanders are truly Scott Malkin's team, but for Ledecky to have NO SAY AT ALL in any decisions being made? None at all? Their ownership arrangement is such that Malkin always has final say and doesn't even listen to Ledecky's opinion?

Normally I'd say that's fine, but how is Ledecky allowed to run around representing Islander ownership and not have any say. Isn't he embarrassed if that's the case and why does Malkin want him doing that?

I purposely listed Malkin first in the title of this thread because we should all only be referring to him as the owner going forward. Any success or failures of this team we now know are 100% his doing and responsibly.

Big Boss

Nov 17, 2013
Opinion is the thing not about arrangements. If Malkin has ears he can listen to Ledecky.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
having Lou Lamoriello in charge means I no longer care about ownership. And that's best for everyone. I'd rather not know the names of the owners - as long as the GM (President/whomever) is given a clear mandate, appropriate budget and has enough sense to make the right decisions more often than not.

Having Lou in charge doesn't change anything in the short term. But a new set of eyes, some accountability, decisiveness and as respected a hockey leader that exists in hockey -- these are new days for this franchise.

I just hope he gets #91 done.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Shits getting done finally. Arena and facilities.now management and coaching. Next step is a Stanley cup winning roster!

Scott Malkin is really the man. He doesn’t f*** around.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In a short few weeks I assume all of our opinions on them have changed. Before they were "frauds" (and had earned that title). Now the mob has subsided not calling for their heads thanks to the hiring of Lou and subsequently the removal of snow and weight - Moves that seemed to be so obvious to everyone but them.

Now instead of trying to hang them like we'd all like to do with wang, Malkin & Ledecky are showing themselves to be aware owners (very crucial), and owners who can not only get the job done, but are willing to spend money to do so.

So this thread is now about discussing what they've been doing in a more calm environment now that the Isles house isn't on fire like it was a month ago. We actually seem to be truly building something now and the idea of having a "first-class organization" doesn't seem crazy anymore. We're literally on track to having just that.

I knew from the last few months of reports that the New York Islanders are truly Scott Malkin's team, but for Ledecky to have NO SAY AT ALL in any decisions being made? None at all? Their ownership arrangement is such that Malkin always has final say and doesn't even listen to Ledecky's opinion?

Normally I'd say that's fine, but how is Ledecky allowed to run around representing Islander ownership and not have any say. Isn't he embarrassed if that's the case and why does Malkin want him doing that?

I purposely listed Malkin first in the title of this thread because we should all only be referring to him as the owner going forward. Any success or failures of this team we now know are 100% his doing and responsibly.

They were frauds? Until they weren’t? :facepalm:

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I don't agree that they deserved the title of fraud previously, or at any time. They have a plan for a new arena, they secured games at the Coliseum, and I've previously stated that it would be appropriate to give the owners at least until summer to make decisions regarding Snow and Weight.

Securing an arena on its own is extremely significant. Let's take a step back and really think about what that means for the franchise. That news is still only 6 months old. Significant changes don't happen overnight.

I was never on board that train.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For those that don't understand what I was saying or are focusing on completely the wrong thing, see me after class and we'll see if we can get you up to speed.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

It's a smart business move because it takes the emotion factor out of decision making. For instance, I'm going to say it again if I haven't already...

Many understandably would have left Snow in place if they found out firing him would upset John Tavares. But this team would never move forward with Snow left as GM, with or without JT. Not saying this is the scenerio, but when you're around people in a personal setting like Ledecky has been, you tend to make friendships and build relations. Getting emotionally attatched to something/someone is not good for business. It also happens to be the way LL seems to operate.

This is a move that absolutely had to be made, and nothing can wipe this smile off my face.

Reactions: periferal

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I think it was a little bit of frustration from a lot of people. I think my exact words were, new owners, same old shit! I’m gladly eating those words now.

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015

Rob Taub is not a credible source. Ledecky knows what is going on and is involved. Malkin makes the final decisions. The End.

Reactions: periferal

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

It isn't odd. When you have an ownership group of 2, 10, or 20 you are bound to have people doing different things. When Edmonton had the collective ownership group of over 30 individuals they didn't pass the hat on every and all decisions. The team is in great shape now. Malkin stepped up and fired Capuano when he'd had enough of the bull**** and he stepped up and hired LL, had him meet with Tavares while at the same time sending Snow and Weight on some wild goose chase in the Netherlands. Then he solidly removes both yahoos from their positions completely.

It is ok to have hope again. Maybe it is too soon to completely shed our deserved suspicion but these were decisively solid moves. Now we have GM I can't poke any holes in as far as his rep and expectations go so that's a win with zero downside.

Be happy! It's ok and we all deserve this. We finally have good owners. Halleluja.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Malkin had all the traits of a fraud. He sent us a spokesman with no authority in ledecky. He builds malls like Wang and wanted to develop Belmont. He made zero changes to the entire organization unless he's the one that fired cappy. He appeared to be planning on keeping a unsecusful GM who has been here since the first I phone. MALKIN deserved all his critics and if JT had signed a extension and no bill boards were put up....I believe snow is still here with no Lou lamariello. It was just the billboards it was the fact that each contributor could make a comment and it was so many contributors..

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Malkin had all the traits of a fraud. He sent us a spokesman with no authority in ledecky. He builds malls like Wang and wanted to develop Belmont. He made zero changes to the entire organization unless he's the one that fired cappy. He appeared to be planning on keeping a unsecusful GM who has been here since the first I phone. MALKIN deserved all his critics and if JT had signed a extension and no bill boards were put up....I believe snow is still here with no Lou lamariello. It was just the billboards it was the fact that each contributor could make a comment and it was so many contributors..

Someone in the thread already addressed this:

They were frauds? Until they weren’t? :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad