Speculation: Islanders need a defenceman?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
per Arthur Staple, Dennis Seidenberg has a broken jaw.

With Travis Hamonic and Ryan Pulock already out indefinitely (per TSN.ca Pulock has 1-3 weeks left on his initial injury timeline while Hamonic has 3-5 weeks left), and now Seidenberg out, the Isles will probably recall Scott Mayfield, but you can't help but wonder if they make a trade/signing/waiver claim in the coming days.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Pelech was holding down the fort well, Mayfield is an unknown at this point to replace Seids. I doubt we see a trade for a D, probably more for a RW to get us ready for when the D come back. This year is not looking great though.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To those who were dreaming about De Haan being poachable, I'm guessing that ship has now sailed.

Isn't Nakladal from Carolina in waivers now? He could be claimed and used to fill the hole for the time being.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Shooting at the walls of heartache
Bang bang
I am _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Or
Nik grossmann come on down

Last edited:

Physt

Apr 3, 2015
Maybe Berube can play defense for us. I mean why not? He doesn't do anything but sit in the press box anyway.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
The issue with Mayfield is he will need waivers (and will be claimed) so if he comes up he may get the Berube treatment most of the year as the 7D.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The issue with Mayfield is he will need waivers (and will be claimed) so if he comes up he may get the Berube treatment most of the year as the 7D.

Mcilrath just recently cleared waivers
I think we can agree he is better than our Mayfield.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
Isles need a dman, 4 or 5 forwards, a coach, a GM, a pp, a pk.....ohhhh, and an arena with decent ice!

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Mayfield cleared waivers just over a month ago on October 6th. His being claimed this time is far from a sure thing.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
This is silly. No chance the Isles trade for a defenseman. They have 3 guys out fairly short-term (Hamonic is the most at a month) and have basically 8 or 9 NHL ready defensemen, with significant holes elsewhere on the roster that need to be addressed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How untouchable is Hamonic? My guess is very considering Snow's loyalty to him, but I almost wonder if a Dougie Hamilton + a forward for Hamonic could work. I just can't think off the top of my head if Calgary has any forwards good enough that NYI would be interested in, but not too good as to throw the value of the deal way off.

Probably not something that they could make work, but my thought process is that NYI get a Dman thats healthy and can play now, who is a #3 with top pair upside, although if the NYI think Pulock is their future offensive guy they might not be that interested. Then from the Flames side they could really use a Dman like Hamonic, and with the way their season has started they can probably accept that he won't be playing for a month+ and look towards next season.

If anyone has any feedback or can think of a deal that could work on this premise, I'd be very interested.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
How untouchable is Hamonic? My guess is very considering Snow's loyalty to him, but I almost wonder if a Dougie Hamilton + a forward for Hamonic could work. I just can't think off the top of my head if Calgary has any forwards good enough that NYI would be interested in, but not too good as to throw the value of the deal way off.

Probably not something that they could make work, but my thought process is that NYI get a Dman thats healthy and can play now, who is a #3 with top pair upside, although if the NYI think Pulock is their future offensive guy they might not be that interested. Then from the Flames side they could really use a Dman like Hamonic, and with the way their season has started they can probably accept that he won't be playing for a month+ and look towards next season.

If anyone has any feedback or can think of a deal that could work on this premise, I'd be very interested.

Logic's not horrible and I'd honestly be open to Dougie+ for Hamonic, but I think the only way the Front Office even considers moving Hammer is for help up front.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Logic's not horrible and I'd honestly be open to Dougie+ for Hamonic, but I think the only way the Front Office even considers moving Hammer is for help up front.

Yeah its a tough one to balance out because Calgary can't really afford to give up a guy like Monahan, or Bennett or Tkachuk given how little quality top 6 players they already have. I was originally thinking maybe something like Hamonic+Strome+Barzal/Beauvillier/MDC (not saying those 3 players have the same value, just tossing some names out) for Hamilton + Bennett or Tkachuk. I just don't know if Calgary can afford to give up Bennett or Tkachuk at this point.

Also the value of that type of deal might need to be balanced a little more.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Yeah its a tough one to balance out because Calgary can't really afford to give up a guy like Monahan, or Bennett or Tkachuk given how little quality top 6 players they already have. I was originally thinking maybe something like Hamonic+Strome+Barzal/Beauvillier/MDC (not saying those 3 players have the same value, just tossing some names out) for Hamilton + Bennett or Tkachuk. I just don't know if Calgary can afford to give up Bennett or Tkachuk at this point.

Also the value of that type of deal might need to be balanced a little more.

Last thing NYI need is another LW, so I doubt they'd want Tkachuk no matter how good he's been. Maybe they could target Monahan or Bennett as a 2C, but I dunno if CGY would be interested inn that.

Hamonic + Strome + MDC

for

Hamilton + Monahan/Bennett + 2nd :dunno: just trying something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad