Islanders name Anders Lee captain

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Another guy who could bolt and escape the Island in less than a year. Giving him the C is a smart move to get him to stay but it likely won’t be enough, he will also have to be overpaid.

"Another guy that could bolt and escape the Island."

-Bailey re-signed long-term
-Hickey re-signed
-Okposo, Nielsen, and de Haan all wanted to resign during their final years, but the team either wasn't interested or they became interested too late in the UFA period

And by all accounts Lee is going to sign long term as well.

It appears there is only one phony that said he wanted to be here when clearly he did not. Only one.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What's with all the variations of 'Pajama Boy' here?

I honestly don't understand?

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Watch the video the proof is in the pudding.

Tavares had 9 primary assists on Lee’s 40 goals.
Also note that some were shots by Tavares that Lee cleaned up off of the rebound but that still counts.

So even without Tavares 9 primary assists Lee is still a 30+ goal scorer.

It was also interesting to see how many of Lee's goals occured with Tavares within just a few feet of Lee, which means Lee probably cut down on JT's goal count by being more "in the right place" than JT.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It was also interesting to see how many of Lee's goals occured with Tavares within just a few feet of Lee, which means Lee probably cut down on JT's goal count by being more "in the right place" than JT.

I noticed that as well but to be fair Tavares had a lot more responsibility as the center and Lee’s main job was to win battles on the boards and in front of the net.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

Yeah i noticed that too.

With Tavares out of his way, Lee could probably score 50 this year...

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Sure why not go for 75 with the magical elf-fairy-dwarf people assisting on all 75 because “Tavares is out of his way now”.

"Willing to bet real money"

Last edited:

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Some top hockey analysts were covering this minor story today (naming a player like Lee captain) and they had some really interesting and thought provoking commentary.

It was noted that in his entire hockey career (multiple years of college, AHL, and NHL), spanning over a decade, Lee has NEVER, not once, been over a point per game player. Not even in minor leagues like the ncaa or ahl.

Thy mentioned how he is obviously exiting his scoring prime, and has never had a season of 65 points, or been the best player on his own line

Interesting facts that these top analysts have deemed noteworthy.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Andres Lee is not a star player. What are people smoking? Lol. He’s a good player for sure but definitely not a star.
Lee is like the one player who causes analytics people and old school people to hold hands around a campfire and sing Kumbaya. You are badly underrating him.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Some top hockey analysts were covering this minor story today (naming a player like Lee captain) and they had some really interesting and thought provoking commentary.

It was noted that in his entire hockey career (multiple years of college, AHL, and NHL), spanning over a decade, Lee has NEVER, not once, been over a point per game player. Not even in minor leagues like the ncaa or ahl.

Thy mentioned how he is obviously exiting his scoring prime, and has never had a season of 65 points, or been the best player on his own line

So, what was interesting or thought provoking?

Also, his first year at ND was 44 points in 44 games. And his year in the USHL. How does any of this relate to his capabilities as a team captain?

Reactions: olli and sabremike

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

Is there some obscure rule where a captain has to be a point per game player?

Lot of current captains haven't scored 40 goals in a season either.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Loved your winning the decathalon, lady.
Thought provoking commentary is rare, and I doubt this segment qualifies.
Lee captained his college(Notre Dame) team, leading them in goals all three years(the first as a freshman), and in scoring the last year. More than a point a game in two of the three years.
Analysts who fail to analyze then went on to say what...

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Loved your winning the decathalon, lady.
Thought provoking commentary is rare, and I doubt this segment qualifies.
Lee captained his college(Notre Dame) team, leading them in goals all three years(the first as a freshman), and in scoring the last year. More than a point a game in two of the three years.
Analysts who fail to analyze then went on to say what...
I will gladly call in to the radio show that includes segments from these highly respected hockey analysts and correct their mistakes if they were incorrect when they said “Anders Lee has NEVER, not once, been over a point per game in any of his numerous ncaa, ahl, or nhl seasons, which span for almost a decade”

You just said “Lee was more than a point a game in 2 of his 3 college seasons”

Would you provide me with the correct info so I can correct the professional analysts please? Because all I have found are 3 seasons below a point a game (one season actually he hit a ppg, but was never over).

Although, their great insight on the fact that he is only a year and change away from already being 30 and exiting his scoring prime was still truly thought provoking

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Since when is it necessary to be a star or a point a game player to be an effective captain?

Reactions: olli

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I will gladly call in to the radio show that includes segments from these highly respected hockey analysts and correct their mistakes if they were incorrect when they said “Anders Lee has NEVER, not once, been over a point per game in any of his numerous ncaa, ahl, or nhl seasons, which span for almost a decade”

You just said “Lee was more than a point a game in 2 of his 3 college seasons”

Would you provide me with the correct info so I can correct the professional analysts please? Because all I have found are 3 seasons below a point a game (one season actually he hit a ppg, but was never over).

Although, their great insight on the fact that he is only a year and change away from already being 30 and exiting his scoring prime was still truly thought provoking
This is a different site, I thought I saw fewer games played his rookie year at ND:
Anders Lee Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Because they were discussing the Isles, I imagine downplaying the choice was part of the agenda. So they split hairs with the word over. The truth is that the best person was chosen for the role, he is a leader both on and off the ice. As for his age, he is a low mileage model, and built like a tank. He is 2 months older than Pajama Boy, who is the second coming.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

I don't know if you made this up or if you actually listen to the dumbest "analysts" out there, but just looking at his eliteprospects page, Lee has gone PPG in the following years at the level listed:

06-07 High School (41 in 31)
07-08 High School (43 in 25)
08-09 High School (66 in 25)
08-09 HS Elite League (29 in 18)
09-10 USHL (66 in 59)
10-11 NCAA (44 in 44)
12-13 NHL (2 in 2, not exactly a huge sample size)
14-15 AHL (5 in 5, again only a brief stint)
16-17 World Championships (8 in 8)
and now so far in 18-19 NHL (11 in 10)

He also would have led the Leafs in goals last year.

He also just turned 28 and had the best season of his career so "exiting his scoring prime" is a bold statement.

And all of this ignores that none of what you and the Toronto blowhard media have "deemed noteworthy" has anything to do with whether he'd make a good captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad