Former Bruins Islanders' Johnny Boychuk retires due to eye injury suffered last season

aguineapig

Johnny did it the old fashioned way. He earned it. They said he had a great shot, but skating and decision making were suspect. So he put his head down and worked on his game and rode the buses for five years. Many a man would have packed it in, but when he got his break he was ready. He and his shot were a blast to watch. He'd block a shot, play the man or pick a fight, anything to help his team win. He was a true Bruin. He was a Stanley Cup champ. He'll always be Johnny Rocket.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Much as we might decry the softening of hockey in recent years, as long as it remains the only sport where you can basically be stabbed in the face on any given night it will always be for proper tough folks only. That was a nasty injury Johnny suffered back in March.

All the best Johnny Rocket in your retirement and whatever life next has in store. Shame it's arrived a little early, but thanks for being a wonderful player, a proper Bruin, a worthy Cup winner, and for all those masterful hip checks! Hit hard, shoot hard, play hard.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
One of my favorite Bruins. All heart. The Islanders fans love him as well. Just of those guys that makes an impact wherever he goes. And one of the great hockey names. Enjoy a well-deserved retirement, Johnny.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Loves me some Johnny Rocket. Exciting player to watch in his prime. Could hammer pucks and hammer players and did it all with a bit of his own brand of swagger. Never understood why he didn't get more PP time under Julien (same with Marchand).

One of the best Bruin trades of the 2000s is the one that brought Boychuk to Boston.

Reactions: DKH and BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Loves me some Johnny Rocket. Exciting player to watch in his prime. Could hammer pucks and hammer players and did it all with a bit of his own brand of swagger. Never understood why he didn't get more PP time under Julien (same with Marchand).

One of the best Bruin trades of the 2000s is the one that brought Boychuk to Boston.

wasn’t it straight up for Matt Hendricks?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love Johnny too, the quintessential Bruins defenseman who had the heart of a lion. I was crushed when he was traded and remember him saying something like "Oh my God, it is really happening...." because the rumours had been out there.

I am happy that he earned a Cup, many never get there. That 2011 team was my favourite and still is. Good luck Johnny!! He will do well wherever he ends up.

Reactions: BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Man I miss the Bruins when they were big and tough and mean when needed.
Didn't take crap from any team.

We're full of unskilled babies right now....thanks Donny

Watching Boychuk highlights brought back some great memories of the bruins, and your right, the team as constructed today compared to those days is sad to see. This current team wouldnt win a game in a seven game series.

One of the smartest things Edwards ever said.
"There's no Boy in Boychuk !!!

Reactions: Aeroforce and BMC

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Like boychuck as a player

Hate shady cap moves

After getting his signing bonus this year he has a little over 5 mill owed to him the next 2 years

Likely 1/2 that or more is going to be lost to various covid problems

If the islanders give him a comfy front office job he might get all that money back anyhow

Its another huge front loaded deal that miraculously disapears when the team finds it inconvienent

I cant lay the blame on the players involved but lamerello is famous for juicing the cap in toronto and now this?

I hope ladd didnt catch hossa's glove/skin rash problem but somethings tells me i think we will learn he did

Reactions: Kalus

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Like boychuck as a player

Hate shady cap moves

After getting his signing bonus this year he has a little over 5 mill owed to him the next 2 years

Likely 1/2 that or more is going to be lost to various covid problems

If the islanders give him a comfy front office job he might get all that money back anyhow

Its another huge front loaded deal that miraculously disapears when the team finds it inconvienent

I cant lay the blame on the players involved but lamerello is famous for juicing the cap in toronto and now this?

I hope ladd didnt catch hossa's glove/skin rash problem but somethings tells me i think we will learn he did

I am not a tin foil hat guy, but I do think Lou was AOK with this news.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
this is maybe my favourite Destroychuk moment. B's are kicking the shit out of the Penguins in game 2 of the 2013 ECF, its 5-1 and the 3 clowns in the NBC booth are trying to figure out who the Pens start in net for game 3. Pierre is like "Marc-Andre Fleury, no doubt ab..."

Johnny Rocket. 6-1

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
You only get one set of eyes. With 20% going to escrow and owners looking to increase that. Another 10% deferred . Then pro rate to a shortened season. Agent grabs his share, all of that before the government gets his cut. I think I would have made the same choice. Good luck JB and thanks.
He still gets the money. He just isn’t going to play

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
got to Love Johnny Boychuk

excellent article here in today’s Globe Thanksgiving Bruins musings in just how good Boychuk was defensively- sometimes I get caught up in the character of Johnny Rocket and forget what a throwback he is

hope you can read this (an aside ~ Matt Porter is spectacular one of the reasons I keep getting paper and digital copies of Globe - some are assigned to cover the Bruins this guy is elite in his knowledge)

Thoughts on the retirement of Johnny Boychuk and other hockey matters - The Boston Globe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad