Former Bruins Islanders' Johnny Boychuk retires due to eye injury suffered last season

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:cry:

GettyImages-116731699.0.jpg

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hope isles get on the phone with Bruins ownership and when fans are allowed back in the arenas that when these 2 teams play each other they have a Boychuck appreciation night and send him off the way he deserves. Guy was an absolute warrior for the Bruins and isles. Great teammate as well. This is sad news for a lot of isles fans.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Trading Boychuk was the dumbest move Chia ever made

In the big picture, I agree fully. Chia worked himself into a massive cap crunch after selling out for Iginla's bonus-laden contract in 2013-14, but choosing to keep Seidenberg after the ACL tear over Johnny Rocket was pretty much the death of the 2008-2014 core.

However - the saving grace here, the picks we got for him turned out to be Ryan Lindgren and Brandon Carlo.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Do you think the Islanders will be disappointed in the timing of this given that they traded Toews presumably in large part due to cap implications?

I loved Boychuck and thought he was a great Bruin. I questioned the money he was being paid the last few years. Not as bad as Backes, but worse then the Moore contract IMO.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Trading Boychuk was the dumbest move Chia ever made

He also traded for Boychuk, which was one of his best trades. He was a casualty of the Iginla signing and going for it that year. That was the right decision at the time. The 2013-14 team won the President's trophy with 117 points and got absolutely jobbed against the Habs in the 2nd round.

Even if they could have kept him, it would have been only for one more year and he would have walked as a UFA, because they could never have fit him at $6m x7 years.

Chia got two picks for him, which were used on Carlo and Ryan Lindgren. I'd say that's pretty damn good asset management.

You can hate on Chia for a lot of things, but every one of his moves with Boychuck were almost perfect.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Johnny Boychuk was living proof that you can throw completely legal hits that hurt. You don't need to leave your feet or target the head to light a guy up. Also, he very rarely went for the green light when it would result in his D partner getting the shaft, ala Phaneuf.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Do you think the Islanders will be disappointed in the timing of this given that they traded Toews presumably in large part due to cap implications?

I loved Boychuck and thought he was a great Bruin. I questioned the money he was being paid the last few years. Not as bad as Backes, but worse then the Moore contract IMO.

No, because they still needed the space either way.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Not many players were universally loved like Johnny Boychuk was in Boston. Especially for a non-superstar HOF guy.

He was everything a Bruins fan covets. Tough as nails, easy to root for personality, and always played his best hockey when the stakes were high. I think there were still trade proposals with his name in them after our playoffs ended this year.

Hate to see him retire for this. His presence alone on the Isles was enough to make that team one to cheer for.

Last edited:

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I had the pleasure of seeing a Johnny Rocket live and in person in Saskatoon.

Phenomenal Bruin.

I remember Lucic saying that when he got traded it killed the MOJO of the team.

Reactions: SPB2776 and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad