Speculation: Islanders incoming cap crunch

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
his biggest asset is his contract. He’s a #4/5 shutdown defenseman. He’s big, solid skater, and is tough. Right handed shot too. I don’t know if his price would be a 1st+2nd. Maybe that’s what it would take for the isles to give him up?

I could see a team like Toronto desperately in need of defenseman and up against the cap trading a 1st for Mayfield. He’d actually be a perfect fit for the leafs. Cheap and can play a shutdown role for them.

also, when I say 1st I think it would have to be a late 1st. 20’s and up.

LMFAO I guess it's nice for Isles fans to dream...

This off-season will be very fun to watch what the Isles do. They better hope no team decided to offersheet Barzal like the Habs did with Aho.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
LMFAO I guess it's nice for Isles fans to dream...

This off-season will be very fun to watch what the Isles do. They better hope no team decided to offersheet Barzal like the Habs did with Aho.
In what universe was the Habs offer a bad thing for the Canes?

Carolina should've sent a pick back to Montreal or at least a nice bottle of scotch.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
3 way deal with the sens?

To NYI: Liljegren

To TOR: Mayfield, 51st OA, 58 OA

To Ott: Boychuk 15th OA
Now that is actually a pretty good proposal and one that could actually work for all parties involved. Weakens the Islanders defence of course but solves their cap issues whilst getting a pretty good prospect back.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Now that is actually a pretty good proposal and one that could actually work for all parties involved. Weakens the Islanders defence of course but solves their cap issues whilst getting a pretty good prospect back.
This is interesting and actually looks pretty decent for all teams involved. Well done.

Took 18 years but I finally got one! Thanks guys.

Reactions: goal1228 and SI90

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

It makes for an interesting Conundrum for Trotz. He seem to prefer Vets to Rookies. If the Trade goes through and they still trade Leddy the Defense would be very different. Does Trotz trust Dobson to play with Toews this season? Do they re-sign Greene to mentor a young guy? Do they grab another vet? Its quite the turnover to youth on D.
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - X
X - X

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
3 way deal with the sens?

To NYI: Liljegren

To TOR: Mayfield, 51st OA, 58 OA

To Ott: Boychuk 15th OA

No thanks. Mayfield is a decent, defensively responsible #5 but that's a steep price.

We don't really need more depth guys, we need a high end RD to play on the first pair.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
No thanks. Mayfield is a decent, defensively responsible #5 but that's a steep price.

We don't really need more depth guys, we need a high end RD to play on the first pair.
Mayfield's bit good bit better than that. He plays the most minutes on the one of the best defences in the league, and is signed to one of the best contracts in the entire NHL. He might well be the second most valuable player on the Islanders in terms of straight up trade value.

Reactions: bert

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Mayfield's bit good bit better than that. He plays the most minutes on the one of the best defences in the league, and is signed to one of the best contracts in the entire NHL. He might well be the second most valuable player on the Islanders in terms of straight up trade value.

He played the 6th most minutes on the Isles this season (5th on D) and his defensive results are decent, but not spectacular. He's a good player on a good contract, but his ideal role is on the 2nd pair or lower (#4/5 is probably fairer than #5).

Don't get me wrong, I would like if he was a Leaf. It's just a very steep price to pay for a player who is either (1) going to be asked to play above his head on the 1st pair, or (2) be played in his ideal role where we don't really need him.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
Oh this again? Yea he definitely hates winning....

Where does he want to go?

isles fans are delusional with the so called "winning" of the team...the reality is without the covid pause the isles would of missed the playoffs...the ECF trip was luck of the draw by playing 3 cream puff teams until finally being exposed...MB has hinted many times that he wants to go out west with either seattle or vancouver ...why has he not signed yet if he wants to stay ?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He played the 6th most minutes on the Isles this season (5th on D) and his defensive results are decent, but not spectacular. He's a good player on a good contract, but his ideal role is on the 2nd pair or lower (#4/5 is probably fairer than #5).

Don't get me wrong, I would like if he was a Leaf. It's just a very steep price to pay for a player who is either (1) going to be asked to play above his head on the 1st pair, or (2) be played in his ideal role where we don't really need him.
He is a great compliment to an offensive D man did you watch the playoffs? He is exactly the type of player the leafs need. He can be a Methot to Karlsson as to Sandin or Rielly. Right handed shot too, these players dont grow on trees, you cant have the exact same type of player on a team.

isles fans are delusional with the so called "winning" of the team...the reality is without the covid pause the isles would of missed the playoffs...the ECF trip was luck of the draw by playing 3 cream puff teams until finally being exposed...MB has hinted many times that he wants to go out west with either seattle or vancouver ...why has he not signed yet if he wants to stay ?

You call them dilusional what a joke, I am not even an Islanders fan and this post is hot garbage. Cream puff teams, the Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers? Even gave Tampa a good run. They would have pounded the Leafs. The Islanders were built for the playoffs, a hard concept to figure out I know.

Why has he not signed? Probably because the entire landscape of the NHL has changed because of covid.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

iu

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
He is a great compliment to an offensive D man did you watch the playoffs? He is exactly the type of player the leafs need. He can be a Methot to Karlsson as to Sandin or Rielly. Right handed shot too, these players dont grow on trees, you cant have the exact same type of player on a team.

You call them dilusional what a joke, I am not even an Islanders fan and this post is hot garbage. Cream puff teams, the Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers? Even gave Tampa a good run. They would have pounded the Leafs. The Islanders were built for the playoffs, a hard concept to figure out I know.

Why has he not signed? Probably because the entire landscape of the NHL has changed because of covid.

uhhh yeah....the florida panthers ?
washington capitals did not want to be there as was later revealed
flyers ? really ? slow weak team who barely beat an AHL roster montreal canadiens
those are your 3 cream puff teams

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Source?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
flyers ? really ? slow weak team who barely beat an AHL roster montreal canadiens
Are you still sore about your early elimination? And you think Barzal will leave a team that just went this far in the playoffs? And, you call us delusional? As they say in baseball, there is always next year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the insight, good to know what a quality poster you are bringing so much thought and depth.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
( honestly I loved it there )

Ah yes, so many times.

And honestly, if he wants to go to an expansion team or to Vancouver although the Isles have gotten further in the playoffs in the last two seasons, go ahead. Just tells me he's not a winner and just wants points and money as you suggest.

Carry on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad