GDT: ISLANDERS @ HOUSE OF THE STORM

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Sitting a top three center so a winger can play? That would seem to be a poor choice and if Rod is going to just roll through the lineup so Williams can play I don’t think I could be down with that.

Martinook hasn’t been great this season. Nor McGinn. Wallmark has been hot so that would just be dumb. This will be interesting to see.

I think the players truly are willing to sacrifice some play time and get some rest days for Dad. Daddy himself will probably get a few scratch days as well to rest the legs.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Svech has
The problem with Slavin filling the same role as Hamilton on the PP is that he doesn't approach his position like Hamilton does. He doesn't think shot-first, he thinks pass-first, which ruins whatever strategy the #1 PP unit had previously employed, and it makes TT less effective. If they want to use Slavin at the top of PP#1, they need to change the dynamic with the rest of the unit...like bring in Niederriter in TT's place, or swap Svech and TT.

However, if I were the coach who'd just lost Dougie, I would've brought Gardiner up to PP#1 and let Slavin figure out his place in PP#2. Actually, I would have made a ****-ton more changes than that...I'm just thinking in terms of changing as little of what their apparent ideal already was (I don't believe it to be ideal, at all).
Svech has a nice slapper to on his natural right side. So put Svech on teuvos place, let's put teuvo on the other side. Svech will still pass if he finds teuvo in a nice position and Svech will use his one timer. On his natural side, he can shoot immediately and does not need extra time to shoot like on the left side. Does this make sense?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Svech doesn’t really have a one timer, he’s scored one that looked like it was missing the net before it hit a stick. I don’t know that I buy that the right side is his stronger side. “Natural” side would mean being a lefty on the left side anyways, but I get the point.

He roams both sides regardless. He does seem to be getting more comfortable on the right side as a pro taking on defenseman in OT. 5v5 unless he gets to really build up speed he doesn’t do a lot to create scoring chances off the rush on that side either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the players truly are willing to sacrifice some play time and get some rest days for Dad. Daddy himself will probably get a few scratch days as well to rest the legs.
If we move Marty to center and sit Wallmark we’re downgrading the most important forward position for Williams in his second game. That’s a poor choice whether Wallmark is cool with it or not.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If you didn’t quote bleed’s post, this would be a comment I’d be willing to ignore, but in quoting it, it seems to suggest a defense of sitting Wallmark next game simply because he might’ve been a team player and said, “ok, I’ll take my turn for Dad”. That’s not the point bleed is making, nor what I was getting at with sitting McGinn. Logic dictates that you take the players who are least consequential out first. Taking Wallmark out second would leave me with a feeling that RBA has his head up his ass.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If you didn’t quote bleed’s post, this would be a comment I’d be willing to ignore, but in quoting it, it seems to suggest a defense of sitting Wallmark next game simply because he might’ve been a team player and said, “ok, I’ll take my turn for Dad”. That’s not the point bleed is making, nor what I was getting at with sitting McGinn. Logic dictates that you take the players who are least consequential out first. Taking Wallmark out second would leave me with a feeling that RBA has his head up his ass.

Or, if you were more reasonable, it might leave you feeling that RBA knows more about his locker room than you do, and is going to make a more informed decision than you would.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Or, if you were more reasonable, it might leave you feeling that RBA knows more about his locker room than you do, and is going to make a more informed decision than you would.
Man, I was beginning to think I was the only one. It's fine to debate, but to go to Brindy having his head up his ass is a bit much. There could be a number of reasons to make Wallmark the second guy, and I think Brindy being a moron is pretty far down the list.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Man, I was beginning to think I was the only one. It's fine to debate, but to go to Brindy having his head up his ass is a bit much. There could be a number of reasons to make Wallmark the second guy, and I think Brindy being a moron is pretty far down the list.

Devils advocate: He sent Nino in the shootout before Williams. He’s not immune from having his head up his ass from time to time.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am not sure it is about RBA not being smart—more a question of if he is too stubborn. Most have called his commitment to "playing the right way" admirable. But like everything else, you can have too much of a good thing.

It sure looks like the coach is committed to McGinn because of his style of play—opposed to Wallmark who plays a more cerebral style. Wallmark isn't going to "bash" folks like McGinn. But I don't think McGinn tries to bank one of the goalie like Wallmark did against Greiss. Both styles have advantages. So far this season Wallmark is getting better results. If both players are equally healthy, it does appear that RBA is "choosing" one type of player. That is his call—but it shouldn't be beyond constructive criticism.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I am not sure it is about RBA not being smart—more a question of if he is too stubborn. Most have called his commitment to "playing the right way" admirable. But like everything else, you can have too much of a good thing.

It sure looks like the coach is committed to McGinn because of his style of play—opposed to Wallmark who plays a more cerebral style. Wallmark isn't going to "bash" folks like McGinn. But I don't think McGinn tries to bank one of the goalie like Wallmark did against Greiss. Both styles have advantages. So far this season Wallmark is getting better results. If both players are equally healthy, it does appear that RBA is "choosing" one type of player. That is his call—but it shouldn't be beyond constructive criticism.

He’s committed to McGinn because he’s on his top PK unit on a team that takes an ass ton of penalties.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Brind'Amour played Faulk on the PP1 over Dougie Hamilton for an entire season. To me it seems he has "his guys" that he plays more than he should and McGinn is a part of that. Doesn't make him a moron, he could very well be right that playing McGinn over Wallmark is the right move against Winnipeg on January 21, 2020. But he isn't above questioning.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
...and it doesn't mean that his head is up his ass about *everything*, that he's unintelligent or a moron. Good lord you guys.

Here, sans subtlety: he has his head up his ass about McGinn.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Two things....I agree there's likely a nagging injury thing, and RBA has had nothing but glowing praise for Wallmark. I'd be of the mind that Wallmark is one of Roddy's "guys".

But I don't think McGinn tries to bank one of the goalie like Wallmark did against Greiss.

No McGinn just completely misses wide open, yawning nets....

Reactions: emptyNedder

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
An Islanders fan is whining in their gdt that he was erroneously detained and arrested for assault at the game last night lawl.
so my wife just said to me 'did i tell you what jane smith* said happened at the game sunday?' she had not.

"so, they were at the game and there was this isles fan that was really drunk and getting out of hand. her husband told the guy he needed to chill out or security would be getting involved. drunk isle gets another beer and gets even more out of hand than before. someone else had called security at that point. security shows up. dude throws his beer in security dude's face or at him or something and punches security guy, taboot. security guy is an off-duty cop."

apparently dude's wife was with him, but the story included no detail on her beyond existing.

i wonder...

*yeah, not her name. family friend. which means one of my wife's friends.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
so my wife just said to me 'did i tell you what jane smith* said happened at the game sunday?' she had not.

"so, they were at the game and there was this isles fan that was really drunk and getting out of hand. her husband told the guy he needed to chill out or security would be getting involved. drunk isle gets another beer and gets even more out of hand than before. someone else had called security at that point. security shows up. dude throws his beer in security dude's face or at him or something and punches security guy, taboot. security guy is an off-duty cop."

apparently dude's wife was with him, but the story included no detail on her beyond existing.

i wonder...

How much do you have to hate yourself, and your life to be this much of a piece of trash.

Last edited:
Reactions: geehaad

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

i wonder...

Punching an off-duty cop eh? Yeah that will land your ass in jail.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad