Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part III

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't mind the concept behind the move and I see the rationale behind locking up Pelech for long term at that price, I just don't see why we needed to do the same with Mayfield. With Pelech, the possibility exists that he blossoms under a bridge deal and makes it very expensive to re-sign him (its possible that he turns into a $4/5m player in the next 2 years or so. With Mayfield, that same upside isn't really there. How valuable do we really expect him to be in 2 years? I can't see him turning into a top 4 Dman. So, why not just give him a 1 or 2 year deal and address his situation later?

There's nothing wrong with that philosophy - its just the implementation that needs work.

Be interesting to see if Lou follows that same philosophy.
Toews and Pulock got 2 yr show me deals. No mention from the media, if the team pushed for a longer Pulock deal.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Be interesting to see if Lou follows that same philosophy.
Toews and Pulock got 2 yr show me deals. No mention from the media, if the team pushed for a longer Pulock deal.
The Ross Johnston deal was very Snow-esque.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Alex Wennberg now listed at #4 on Columbus' depth chart after a down year. Had 59 points in 2016-17. Good target for #2C.

What could Columbus want from us?

Reactions: xECK29x

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Alex Wennberg now listed at #4 on Columbus' depth chart after a down year. Had 59 points in 2016-17. Good target for #2C.

What could Columbus want from us?
They are stacked on D and are in a win now mode,especially with Panarin & Bob scheduled to become ufas in July.

Do the isles move a top 6 winger to fill a need at #2C?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
They are stacked on D and are in a win now mode,especially with Panarin & Bob scheduled to become ufas in July.

Do the isles move a top 6 winger to fill a need at #2C?

Why not? Wennberg is still young. 23 years old and on a contract that is a bargain if he truly is a #2C for us at $4.9 million per for 5 years. If he turns out to be a #3 over the long run that's still fair value in today's league. The problem is who to send back. I doubt Nelson is a Blue Jacket type player. They certainly could use a goalie prospect too. But if Wennberg does work out it means Kovar can play #3C with Nelson on that #3 wing where he really belongs. Maybe we need to trade Nelson first to accumulate some trade material that might interest CBJ. Then add Soderstrom to a package for Wennberg.

It's a tough trade to craft but certainly seems worth thinking through.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Putting some thought into this today. How do the Isles improve at Center without falling into the trap of trading for an aging vet that may not fit into their young core plans. To me I think the best way for the Isles to accomplish this is to do what Montreal just did. Trading Patch where the main piece was a young Center in Nick Suzuki.

I looked at players I liked from the 2016 draft, and one player I do like as a #2C candidate is Sam Steel of the Ducks. The Ducks are loaded at Center right now with Getzlaf, Kesler and Henrique. The are in a win now mode. The wings may need more quality. Isles have Lee and Eberle plus 3M retained as enticements. This would be a deal I would be looking for if I were Lou. Could make sense for both clubs.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Putting some thought into this today. How do the Isles improve at Center without falling into the trap of trading for an aging vet that may not fit into their young core plans. To me I think the best way for the Isles to accomplish this is to do what Montreal just did. Trading Patch where the main piece was a young Center in Nick Suzuki.

I looked at players I liked from the 2016 draft, and one player I do like as a #2C candidate is Sam Steel of the Ducks. The Ducks are loaded at Center right now with Getzlaf, Kesler and Henrique. The are in a win now mode. The wings may need more quality. Isles have Lee and Eberle plus 3M retained as enticements. This would be a deal I would be looking for if I were Lou. Could make sense for both clubs.

Sounds too good to be true. McPhee is one of the only GMs not afraid to move good prospects.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds too good to be true. McPhee is one of the only GMs not afraid to move good prospects.

Probably. I just wanted to illustrate the thought process I would employ. I am sure some teams are in the win now mode, with a core that are aging, and now is the time to go for it. The Ducks are a team with an aging core, this may be their last shot with Getzlaf in his prime. They need wingers. Perry is a shadow of himself. It doesn't even have to be the Ducks. TB traded Howden last year, as mentioned VGK traded a player I liked also in Nick Suzuki. I like his brother even more. This is the type of deal I would be looking for.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Probably. I just wanted to illustrate the thought process I would employ. I am sure some teams are in the win now mode, with a core that are aging, and now is the time to go for it. The Ducks are a team with an aging core, this may be their last shot with Getzlaf in his prime. They need wingers. Perry is a shadow of himself. It doesn't even have to be the Ducks. TB traded Howden last year, as mentioned VGK traded a player I liked also in Nick Suzuki. I like his brother even more. This is the type of deal I would be looking for.

I agree. If they’re gonna sell, getting a center prospect is paramount, especially one who could potentially make the jump to the NHL in 19-20.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
did you mean bob murray? mcphee's with vgk.

Sorry for the confusion. TWS was talking about how Montreal got a center in return for Pacioretty (from Vegas), and what I was saying was while that is true, I’m not convinced that other GMs (like GMBM for example) are going to move their centers prospects as easily as McPhee did in the Pacioretty trade.

Also, that deal was contingent on Pacioretty signing long term in Vegas, so it’s not like they gave up Suzuki for a rental. Lee and Eberle would both be rentals for Anaheim, so I don’t think you can get a guy like Steel in return for them. I also don’t think Western Conference GMs are too fond of Eberle, because I’m not sure he would be able to perform in the heavier style of play of the Western Conference.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree. If they’re gonna sell, getting a center prospect is paramount, especially one who could potentially make the jump to the NHL in 19-20.

The Isles can take a page from other teams. Ottawa got Josh Norris, a probable #3C with #2C ceiling in the EK trade. Yes, I agree 100%. This is the approach. Lee and Eberle are the best pieces to dangle to pull this off. With Bellows showing he belongs, one could be expendable, especially if it can return a potential #2C to the Isles. We know one thing, if it were a proven young #2C, then the price would be much higher. This is why I am focusing on players I liked in the 2016 and 2017 drafts. I hope Lou is looking at the same angle.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Sorry for the confusion. TWS was talking about how Montreal got a center in return for Pacioretty (from Vegas), and what I was saying was while that is true, I’m not convinced that other GMs (like GMBM for example) are going to move their centers prospects as easily as McPhee did in the Pacioretty trade.

Also, that deal was contingent on Pacioretty signing long term in Vegas, so it’s not like they gave up Suzuki for a rental. Lee and Eberle would both be rentals for Anaheim, so I don’t think you can get a guy like Steel in return for them. I also don’t think Western Conference GMs are too fond of Eberle, because I’m not sure he would be able to perform in the heavier style of play of the Western Conference.
gotcha, makes a lot more sense now.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Why not? Wennberg is still young. 23 years old and on a contract that is a bargain if he truly is a #2C for us at $4.9 million per for 5 years. If he turns out to be a #3 over the long run that's still fair value in today's league. The problem is who to send back. I doubt Nelson is a Blue Jacket type player. They certainly could use a goalie prospect too. But if Wennberg does work out it means Kovar can play #3C with Nelson on that #3 wing where he really belongs. Maybe we need to trade Nelson first to accumulate some trade material that might interest CBJ. Then add Soderstrom to a package for Wennberg.

It's a tough trade to craft but certainly seems worth thinking through.
I think Torts will love Brock Nelsons tenacity .......work it Lou..

Reactions: ekill08x

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
The Isles can take a page from other teams. Ottawa got Josh Norris, a probable #3C with #2C ceiling in the EK trade. Yes, I agree 100%. This is the approach. Lee and Eberle are the best pieces to dangle to pull this off. With Bellows showing he belongs, one could be expendable, especially if it can return a potential #2C to the Isles. We know one thing, if it were a proven young #2C, then the price would be much higher. This is why I am focusing on players I liked in the 2016 and 2017 drafts. I hope Lou is looking at the same angle.

I cannot think of a single team who would trade a legitimate #2 Center for a top 6 winger or wingers, let alone with them being rentals. However, come trade deadline every playoff team will be looking for Lee as a rental because of the ridiculous low cap hit he has.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Little might be available but not sure how he will pan out the next few years i'd rather take a shot at Duchene.

Reinhardt might be made available there aren't many, but it's possible. I think before preseason we could have had zacha for cheap. He's looking really good now

Point would cost a fortune we could take a run at Seguin if that ever comes into play

Reactions: xECK29x

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Just a thought on the Bobrovsky discussion. Seems like we already have an awful lot of names starting with B on the team as it is.

Barzal, Beauvillier, Bailey, Bellows, Boychuk... sign Bobrovsky next summer... maybe draft Broberg.... sign Derick Brassard as 2nd line C...

Killer B's?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Little might be available but not sure how he will pan out the next few years i'd rather take a shot at Duchene.

Reinhardt might be made available there aren't many, but it's possible. I think before preseason we could have had zacha for cheap. He's looking really good now

Point would cost a fortune we could take a run at Seguin if that ever comes into play

Seguin just signed an 8 yr extension

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Just a thought on the Bobrovsky discussion. Seems like we already have an awful lot of names starting with B on the team as it is.

Barzal, Beauvillier, Bailey, Bellows, Boychuk... sign Bobrovsky next summer... maybe draft Broberg.... sign Derick Brassard as 2nd line C...

Killer B's?

Is brian boyle still around?

Reactions: Konk

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Blues - Thomas or Kyrou
Ducks - Lunderstrom
Jackets - Foudy
Flyers - O'Brien

I doubt Steel gets moved and Kupari some ? Him staying at C.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I heard some good things about foudy fast riser. As for CBJ, I doubt they'll trade any centre they aren't strong down the middle like other teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad